2020 Camaro LT1 V8, Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rock a Caprice if i could get one as clean as ls1mikes. Most require a trip to chicago and have a ton of idling hours. Id go for a good deal on a G8 GT too. All these sedan based options are overvalued or hard to get. So i more or less have to get a Camaro. I suppose a Corvette would be fine but having a C7 as the C8 comes out would be a let down. Spending 60k for a C8 would not be financially healthy so thats out. Maybe i could just transplant an LT1 into my golf sportwagen and fulfill all vehicle fantasies at once.

I would let the 10 speed mature before buying one.....The TR6060 which is a upgraded T56 has been around for going on 30 years.

The 8L90E 8 speed didn't do so good early on.

Originally Posted by dareo
I would rock a Caprice if i could get one as clean as ls1mikes. Most require a trip to chicago and have a ton of idling hours. Id go for a good deal on a G8 GT too. All these sedan based options are overvalued or hard to get. So i more or less have to get a Camaro. I suppose a Corvette would be fine but having a C7 as the C8 comes out would be a let down. Spending 60k for a C8 would not be financially healthy so thats out. Maybe i could just transplant an LT1 into my golf sportwagen and fulfill all vehicle fantasies at once.

I have to tell you I absolutely love mine and does not make me sad I have not gotten a Camaro yet. I just posted in General automotive about the cam I bought for it.
It has still been my favorite car to date. I lucked out getting one never in service, but even the high mile high idle hours ones run forever and do well.

You can have your Camry...

Shameless pictures of "Leo" with the Holden spoiler.
smile.gif

caprice1.jpg

caprice2.jpg

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I can buy 2 Camry's for that price and each will be on the road years longer than that Camaro.

That is the stupidest thing I have read on BITOG. The LT1 is based of the LS. I would bet you money the Camaro could take twice the beating of the Camry and still be here to talk about it.

I can't decide whether that guy is a troll, an incognito BITOG regular satirizing the usual nitwits, or a crackpot who actually believes what he posts.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I can buy 2 Camry's for that price and each will be on the road years longer than that Camaro.

That is the stupidest thing I have read on BITOG. The LT1 is based of the LS. I would bet you money the Camaro could take twice the beating of the Camry and still be here to talk about it.

I can't decide whether that guy is a troll, an incognito BITOG regular satirizing the usual nitwits, or a crackpot who actually believes what he posts.

Hmmm you might be on to something with the satirizing, but you never know here. There are people who believe the Camry is the best the car ever.

Camaro is a great car. Though, I needed 4 doors for the family. Charger it is for me.

LS1Mike... what car is that? A Chevrolet SS? An Impala (a V8 FWD Impala)?

Clinebarger - wise comment re the maturation of the 10 speed A/T...

Me, for reasons of performance, I would probably get the automatic - as, for this much power, the interruption in the acceleration evident with at least a semi-sympathetically shifted manual - well, the interruption would be extreme.

I like manuals,,, and I especially like tall first-gear boxes... with 'lotsa engine torque to boot - so that would be fun.

But I would really have a hard time choosing the transmission.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
LS1Mike... what car is that? A Chevrolet SS? An Impala (a V8 FWD Impala)?

It is a 2014 Caprice PPV, it was supposed to be a Police car that never went into service.
In this case it is sort of a stretched Chevy SS with less options

It is a 6.0/6L80E RWD. Is shares suspension, rear cradle and various other items with the 2014 to 2017 Chevy SS.

The 2011 through 2013 share lots of stuff with the Pontiac G8
The 2014 through 2017 share lots of stuff with the Chevy SS.

Technically is Holden Caprice on the WN platform.

It shares nothing with the Impala.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by edyvw
I am glad they are pushing manual!

Me too even thought the auto is faster, the Manual is a blast to drive.

With 455 hp and 455 tq, its really hard to go wrong with either of the transmissions. With a 10sp auto you'll have zero chances for missed shifts and the benefit of better fuel economy when steady state cruising, but its slightly less fun than rowing your own gears. Its a great car at an amazing price that real enthusiasts will appreciate no matter which you choose.

Last edited:
I rent cars all the time. The current Camaro SS can be found in Savannah, GA. So I tend to rent them there.

I like the car, but can't stand the wonky throttle response and terrible lag. There is an entire industry dedicated to fixing this problem, with limited success. No, track mode does not fix it.

There is at times a verified 1 second lag. Even off the light, the lag and surge behavior is annoying to those who enjoy accurate response.

Here is a quote from a user of a Camaro throttle controller: "I had/have that same thing. Bought a throttle controller to combat it (they're advertised to "get rid of lag"). Long story short - they don't get rid of lag."

It doesn't open the throttle when you step on it, and it does not close the throttle when you lift....

Last edited:
Great powertrain, but the rest of the car is terrible inside and out. Typical V8 GM vehicles.

Originally Posted by A_A_G
Great powertrain, but the rest of the car is terrible inside and out. Typical V8 GM vehicles.

Very helpful, it's always nice to hear from an experienced automotive connoisseur.

Very helpful, it's always nice to hear from an experienced automotive connoisseur.

You are killing me. LOL.

I am going to assume he hasn't sat in one or even drove one they are pretty decent inside and out.

Yes, the "experienced" part is always helpful....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back