Chrysler EcoDiesel Class Action Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends drop dead gorgeous Jeep Grand Cherokee is back in the shop; this time for a couple of months.
EcoDiesel Settlement

"These settlements resolve legal claims asserting that the vehicles do not comply with federal and state emissions regulations and that Fiat Chrysler made misrepresentations to consumers regarding the vehicles."

Debbie told me her i8 won't tow het boat or carry her dogs...

Last edited:
This has been going on for quite a while. Did anyone really think VW was the only company messing with the diesel emissions systems? I'm glad we stood clear of buying a GC with the 3.0 VM diesel, my homework had us stay clear of that engine.

Anybody know what all the "8 devices" are? Whatever they did wrong, sounds like its just a software re-flash.
The fines and scale of this are nowhere near Volkswagen's.

"On January 12, 2017, the EPA and CARB issued notices of violation to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V.
and FCA US LLC alleging that certain Ram and Jeep vehicles with 3.0-liter V6 diesel engines in the
United States were equipped with eight Auxiliary Emissions Control Devices ("AECDs") that were not
disclosed to the EPA, and that the operation of one or more of the AECDs alone or in combination
resulted in excess emissions of nitrogen oxides ("NOx")."
-- https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/content/dam/fcacourtsettlement/pdf/Long_Form_Notice.pdf

Originally Posted by demarpaint
This has been going on for quite a while. Did anyone really think VW was the only company messing with the diesel emissions systems? I'm glad we stood clear of buying a GC with the 3.0 VM diesel, my homework had us stay clear of that engine.

Except VWs actually worked.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Except VWs actually worked.

They did. That VM diesel, no thanks for me.

Surprised it's for the emissions not all the engines they have and are replacing due to mechanical issues.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Surprised it's for the emissions not all the engines they have and are replacing due to mechanical issues.

It was the engine and the emissions system that was the deal breaker for us. At the time the $5K up charge was no bargain either.

I have no idea what the fix is, but she said it may take "a few months".
I wanna do a little research; I find this stuff interesting.
Her GC is top of the line, I can tell you that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I have no idea what the fix is, but she said it may take "a few months".
I wanna do a little research; I find this stuff interesting.
Her GC is top of the line, I can tell you that.

Few months means they do not have all parts available.

Why can't she continue to drive her car until such time that the dealership can carry out the repairs? Seems silly for the car to sit at the dealership awaiting parts when it's drivable.

I'm glad we stood clear of buying a GC with the 3.0 VM diesel, my homework had us stay clear of that engine.

What's wrong with it? I have the 2.8 in an older Liberty that runs fine.

Seems FCA is having issues everywhere, been trying to get airbag system parts for my Wrangler since July. They keep sending me cards saying to bring it in, try and find the part and no one has them, they are on galactic backorder.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I'm glad we stood clear of buying a GC with the 3.0 VM diesel, my homework had us stay clear of that engine.

What's wrong with it? I have the 2.8 in an older Liberty that runs fine.

VM Motori made some of the best diesel engines ever. Like every other company, they have misses.

Originally Posted by 64bawagon
Seems FCA is having issues everywhere, been trying to get airbag system parts for my Wrangler since July. They keep sending me cards saying to bring it in, try and find the part and no one has them, they are on galactic backorder.

If this is the airbag recall, Chrysler is far from the only marque affected.

It's funny to me how loyal owners can be.
Debbie loves her GC. It is pretty nice.
But in the 4 years she has had it it has seen quite a bit of warranty downtime and mechanical issues.
I service it for her; her wonderful husdand Ken got cancer and passed way before his time.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
It's funny to me how loyal owners can be.
Debbie loves her GC. It is pretty nice.
But in the 4 years she has had it it has seen quite a bit of warranty downtime and mechanical issues.
I service it for her; her wonderful husdand Ken got cancer and passed way before his time.

To be fair, there's many like that out there--many owners of anything say British who wouldn't give up their Triumph or whatever. Sometimes people just get attached, or they can justify the issues because of whatever problem the vehicle solves for them.

Nice of you to take care of it for her.

Those VM Motori diesel engines were the worst ever. Lots of stories of main bearing failures. This emissions issue is just another example.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Those VM Motori diesel engines were the worst ever. Lots of stories of main bearing failures. This emissions issue is just another example.

Pretty sure it was rod bearings, and that was rectified with a programming change (to stop the engine from being lugged) and a switch to 5w-40.

Should we trust the new 0w-20 GM 3.0L pickup truck diesel? Clean-sheet design for 2020. Trust, or let the bugs get cleared out in a couple of years?
Like the VM Motori engine here, Ford had some strange annoying issues a few years back on a new diesel. Can't trust them when still a new design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back