2020 Camaro LT1 V8, Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I can buy 2 Camry's for that price and each will be on the road years longer than that Camaro.

Two totally different markets I understand your point but if someone really wanted a Camaro now is the time.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I don't recall the last time i saw a 1969 Camry at a car show
whistle.gif

There are lots of old F-bodies on the road, even up here in the salt belt, can't say the same for "vintage" Toyota products. A Camry will live a lonely life of one or 2 owners who blissfully operate it like a toaster until it ends up in a scrap yard. The Camaro will likely have a pile of owners, experience all sorts of modifications, power adders, repairs and be the birthplace for all kinds of memories and experiences for which the car was integral.

I have absolutely amazing memories of my Mustang and my M5. Both cars taken out of this world by accidents, not their inability to compete in a field of anodyne appliances. Nobody recalls with delight their days spent with their coffee maker.

idk, I just saw a 1969 Toyota Crown (predecessor to the Camry) that was absolutely mint. Just wait long enough and their will be a cult around anything...

V8 2-door pony cars are as diametrically-opposed to what I look for in a car--but that does seem like a lot of car for the $$ if that's your thing.

The $ to HP ratio is a great buy. I'd go Automatic. OP have you sat in one of these? I can't do it. I get claustrophobic.

The cylinder deactivation only comes with the auto trans. My A10 is able to make 28 MPG with the cruise at 75 on typical California terain ie. Up and down.

Originally Posted by MadAmos
The cylinder deactivation only comes with the auto trans. My A10 is able to make 28 MPG with the cruise at 75 on typical California terain ie. Up and down.

Good to know, and what a shame! The Gen V AFM works very well in my truck. AFM and remote start might be enough to sway me to an automatic. Then again, not having AFM is one less thing to break. I don't think i can buy a camaro only because i couldn't decide what transmission!

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
The $ to HP ratio is a great buy. I'd go Automatic. OP have you sat in one of these? I can't do it. I get claustrophobic.

I drove an 18 Camaro SS about 250 miles in a day trip. I didn't find it tight inside. My neighbor has/had a 18 SS. Haven't seen it lately and now I see a new Silverado in his driveway.

As stated above, people don't tend to keep these cars for a long time.

I'd get into trouble with that many hp.

a manual is the only tranny i buy in any newer vehicle. not a bad lookin car but not a fan of modern oversized wheels with rubberband tyres. i was a GM guy in the past but today they made lesser vehicles like the oil burning 2013 malibu my girlfriend bought new. no money so no chance of spending on a new toy!! i enjoy my 2001 TT roadster 225Q 6 spd manual with 300 hp + tq i bought for $18 g a few years ago with under 40 thou on the clock!! just a glorified VW golf i can work on!!

Originally Posted by dareo
Originally Posted by MadAmos

Good to know, and what a shame! The Gen V AFM works very well in my truck. AFM and remote start might be enough to sway me to an automatic. Then again, not having AFM is one less thing to break. I don't think i can buy a camaro only because i couldn't decide what transmission!

If the engine is to fail it will fail AFM or not.

AFM lifters are more likely to fail than non AFM lifters. Not the end of the world but you do have to take the heads off and swap them out. I don't know of anyone who's had AFM wreck the entire engine in Gen V small blocks.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Not one to must have new, so to scratch a late model Camaro itch at that price, I would hold out for a rebuilt 2 year old ZL1.

You hit the nail on the head. My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by dareo
AFM lifters are more likely to fail than non AFM lifters. Not the end of the world but you do have to take the heads off and swap them out. I don't know of anyone who's had AFM wreck the entire engine in Gen V small blocks.

That has not been a problem since 14 when they update them

I can buy 2 Camry's for that price and each will be on the road years longer than that Camaro.

That is the stupidest thing I have read on BITOG. The LT1 is based of the LS. I would bet you money the Camaro could take twice the beating of the Camry and still be here to talk about it.

Originally Posted by Leo99

whistle.gif

There are lots of old F-bodies on the road, even up here in the salt belt, can't say the same for "vintage" Toyota products. A Camry will live a lonely life of one or 2 owners who blissfully operate it like a toaster until it ends up in a scrap yard. The Camaro will likely have a pile of owners, experience all sorts of modifications, power adders, repairs and be the birthplace for all kinds of memories and experiences for which the car was integral.

I have absolutely amazing memories of my Mustang and my M5. Both cars taken out of this world by accidents, not their inability to compete in a field of anodyne appliances. Nobody recalls with delight their days spent with their coffee maker.

You're waxing nostalgic. I have a lot of memories from my 77 Buick and 86 Accord and 95 Cherokee. The memories come from the experiences, not the cars themselves. Cars don't have much life left in them when I'm done with them.

I'd get the manual in the Camaro. Shifting gears is fun.

I certainly am. A fun car/boat/bike can be an integral part of the experience, an appliance? Not so much. My grandfather had an insane number of boats at our cottage but my fondest memories were of the wooden rocket that would do 75Mph screaming like a banshee with the transplant Ford under the hatches bellowing for all it was worth through the dual 3" straight pipes while she danced on the transom.

Slamming gears with the rear stepped out in my foxbody, taking it to the track. The car WAS the experience and that's the point.

The OP is shopping a V8 Camaro and considering the manual option. He's not in Camry Country with that mindset, so for it to be even suggested was utterly ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Leo99

whistle.gif

You're waxing nostalgic. I have a lot of memories from my 77 Buick and 86 Accord and 95 Cherokee. The memories come from the experiences, not the cars themselves. Cars don't have much life left in them when I'm done with them.

I'd get the manual in the Camaro. Shifting gears is fun.

Slamming gears with the rear stepped out in my foxbody, taking it to the track. The car WAS the experience and that's the point.

The OP is shopping a V8 Camaro and considering the manual option. He's not in Camry Country with that mindset, so for it to be even suggested was utterly ridiculous.

Exactly that is why I have loved all my F-bodies, and the Caprice will roast set of tires of it, hang the As* out there and move pretty well for a guy. Some people don't get it and this place can be a fun sucker at times.

I'm a Mustang guy but that's a great value for a V8 pony car. I'd drive it first as most reviews say the interior is a little claustrophobic and it's not the best Daily Driver. But most of that is all preference.

And unless you do stop and go all day or have leg/feet issues, manual all the way. It's fun to row the gears and listen to the sounds the engine makes.

Find me another car that can do all this for the price the OP is talking.
You make think it is fat and bloated, but it sure is one [censored] of performance car. A good driver in good air is running 11's on the stock rubber. It has been done.
It out runs, out handles out stops faster than cars smaller and lighter than it.
Plus guys are pulling 30mpg down on the highway in them. There are few other cars right now that interest me more than this for the money.

Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 15.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.2 sec @ 118 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 150 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.96 g

^ Even beyond that, putting it all together on a track and the $43k Camaro SS 1LE is THE fastest car around a track under $50k. Nothing else is even close.

The GM Alpha chassis used in these is just spectacular. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Originally Posted by E365
^ Even beyond that, putting it all together on a track and the $43k Camaro SS 1LE is THE fastest car around a track under $50k. Nothing else is even close.

Exactly you get the purpose of the car.
No one their right mind thing I bought my WS6 15 years ago for comfort or practicality. I bought it help the tire industry.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by E365

Exactly you get the purpose of the car.
No one their right mind thing I bought my WS6 15 years ago for comfort or practicality. I bought it help the tire industry.
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back