AGM vs Traditional Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2013 Mazda 3 has the original Panasonic AGM battery and it's probably not going to last this winter. Should I stick with AGM or can I get a ~$100 Lead Acid? South central PA.

Charge it up and give it a load test. The AGM battery in my Mercedes is coming up on 12 years. But they put that one in the trunk and it's an H8 so it's a big battery. I'd say if you can get the test to be within 80% of the original CCA, then it's still good and to keep it.

You may not have a choice. I have been pricing a new battery for a 2017 Elantra. Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, Advance, and Dealership show AGM as the only choice.

If an AGM was specified by the OEM, you're better off sticking with it.

That said, 6 years old for an AGM that's been cared for isn't that old. Test it before spending the $$ to replace it.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
You may not have a choice. I have been pricing a new battery for a 2017 Elantra. Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, Advance, and Dealership show AGM as the only choice.

You can put a non-AGM, Group 48 battery in that if you chose to. The OP's car uses a Group 35 battery. Certainly doesn't need to be AGM.

I just put a new AGM battery in my wife's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was not an option to get a less expensive battery. It is mounted under the passenger front
seat and fairly easy to replace in our heated garage. With that being said if I had to replace it in a cold parking lot somewhere in minus 40 wind chill it wouldn't be fun at all. I could have possibly made it another year but didn't want to have to change it out in extremely cold weather because thats when they fail. I also got one with 50 extra cold cranking amps then the original battery had. I also replaced a battery in one of the key fobs for good measure in order for the auto-start to retain a reasonable distance for remote starting in cold weather. I wouldn't try to cheap out on a battery and the JEEP battery cost about $200.00 or so after I brought back the core battery which still was good.

you can use comparable non AGM batteries + in very hot climates a battery that you can add water may last longer. many reports of 2 years of life in arizona as a sealed battery looses fluid that can't be replaced. my aunts 99 jeep cherokee sport has a 7 yr old flooded lead acid interstate in it, few power accessories to run it down! buy a fresh battery + keep it topped up by driving or an external smart charger for longer life!!

Last edited:
If your car has the i-Eloop system you absolutely do have to have an AGM battery. If you don't have i-Eloop then the Panasonic battery in there is a standard flooded style.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
If your car has the i-Eloop system you absolutely do have to have an AGM battery. If you don't have i-Eloop then the Panasonic battery in there is a standard flooded style.

Why ? what is so special about the i-Eloop that would require it to have a AGM battery ? The only possible reason I can see is that whatever charges the battery only had the intelligence to calculate for an AGM battery recharge cycle. Which is not any more complicated than a sealed or lead acid battery, rather it is just different.

Pep Boys has a champion AGM battery that is $140 installed. I'm leaning towards that. I have a friend with a 2015 Mazda 6 that just had to replace his Panasonic AGM already. He went with a Napa Gold.

Sealed battery is always my top choice. Sealed batteries are AGM whether it says it or not.
If its sealed, its AGM. Sometimes those words are used to make it sound special = higher mark up.
Its not special, a sealed battery is special and the only way they can make a sealed battery is ... Answer - AGM

Vented batteries are not sealed and not AGM.

Last edited:
^^^ I've seen this too, but it's not universally true. AGM means there are fiberglass mats between the plates. (Absorbed glass mat) = AGM. There are multiple sealed battery types that do not use that matting between plates - including flooded and gel styles. There *can* be sealed batteries that include the AGM build, but it's not a one-for-one guarantee. I'm also seeing "AGM Technology" batteries that ship dry and the user adds the electrolyte and then stabs a rubber slug into the cell to seal it. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Since AGM doesn't flood the cel with excess electrolyte, they do not tolerate overcharging and venting well, which is why you won't see a vented AGM battery.

-m

Originally Posted by Astro14
If an AGM was specified by the OEM, you're better off sticking with it.

That said, 6 years old for an AGM that's been cared for isn't that old. Test it before spending the $$ to replace it.

It struggled to start my car in the morning a few days ago, and then struggled again when leaving work (only sitting for 7 hours after driving 30 minutes). I charged it overnight last night and it started without issue this morning. I'll see how it does without charging it overnight again. It's AGM so you can't check water levels so if it struggles again, I'll basically replace it.

Unless I am missing something, the price difference to get an AGM isn't that much any more (I'm thinking Pep Boys, with a coupon) that I would put a AGM battery in every car.

Interesting but would question how common place a flooded battery is available with absolutely no venting on it?

Meaning when I say sealed, I mean, sealed.
I dont mean vented but consumer cant remove the caps to check the level.

Are there actually sealed/unvented flooded cell batteries on the market? I didnt think it was possible (doesnt mean I am right though) or maybe better said very rare?

As far as gel, yes, agree on that but took it for granted Gel would be prominently displayed on the battery. The reason of my post was the loose word for sealed vs. AGM. I always took a completely sealed unvented battery for AGM as I thought impossible to have a flooded cell battery unvented.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Unless I am missing something, the price difference to get an AGM isn't that much any more (I'm thinking Pep Boys, with a coupon) that I would put a AGM battery in every car.

Depends on where you look, some places the AGM is nearly double that of the entry level lead acid. But you're right, PepBoys is not much more at all for an AGM.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Why ? what is so special about the i-Eloop that would require it to have a AGM battery ? The only possible reason I can see is that whatever charges the battery only had the intelligence to calculate for an AGM battery recharge cycle. Which is not any more complicated than a sealed or lead acid battery, rather it is just different.

Something involving the kinetic energy recharging most likely. Ford states that if you put a regular flooded battery in a vehicle that has stop-start they will not honor any battery related warranty on the vehicle.

Well being a Costco member I figured I'd check out what they have. Hard to beat this price

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back