Oil filter Cutter, Pet Peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be glad to use one. You got a paypal? Send me the $ for one and we're all set. Until then, tin snips it is.

Note: you're coming off demanding as you have never posted a filter cut open on here.

As my Father used to tell me, if wishes were horses beggars would ride.

How ya gonna be a youtube star without a 4" angle grinder?
coffee2.gif

Fred Flintstone has an alligator in his garage just for opening oil filters. What's strange is that his car doesn't have a motor. Go figure.

So whats everyone do with a cut open used filter? Inspecting for strange debris? Quality of media? What can one actually learn from inspecting the filter?

Originally Posted by N Heat
So whats everyone do with a cut open used filter? Inspecting for strange debris? Quality of media? What can one actually learn from inspecting the filter?

Uhhh. Possible torn media, possible torn ADBV, etc

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

So what do you do at that point? Assume that brand is junk and not use it anymore?

I use Wix every time so I know I'll get a quality filter...unless it is like the one without threads or those others with a few problems posted in the last week or so. But hey, mine's made in Gastonia. All is well. That's in the Ukraine it sounds like.

Yeah, because everybody has a spare $40+ for an oil filter cutter
smirk2.gif

Harbor Freight used to have a good exhaust pipe cutter for under $20, that worked well for cutting filters open, but they don't sell it anymore
mad.gif
cry.gif

So what do you do at that point? Assume that brand is junk and not use it anymore?

That's the reason why tons of people on here won't use Purolators or Motorcrafts.

Sometimes we will get oblivious filter brands or sizes cut open, we can look at the construction etc.

Originally Posted by 10ecfarmer
I really wish that people inspecting oil filters would use the proper tool!

I've got the 1 from Summit, works OK , but I would try a different one next time

I hear just what you're saying looks like some people are having their German Shepherds chew those cans open.

I'll be glad to use one. You got a paypal? Send me the $ for one and we're all set. Until then, tin snips it is.

Note: you're coming off demanding as you have never posted a filter cut open on here.

I'm with you GJ. Until he buys me one my Dremel tool works just fine.
coffee2.gif

The Longacre I purchased a few years ago has been a very good tool for opening oil filters. Only thing I didn't like about it was that the cutter wheel rotated on the bolt threads. Found another bolt and modified it so wheel rotates on solid journal and not threads.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

coffee2.gif

I found the dremel cutting wheel left too much debris on the media, took too long, and was going through a lot of wheels for it.
I am glad I bought a filter cutter, but will not knock someone else for not doing so.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

coffee2.gif

I found the dremel cutting wheel left too much debris on the media, took too long, and was going through a lot of wheels for it.
I am glad I bought a filter cutter, but will not knock someone else for not doing so.

My arthritic carpal tunnel hands can literally cut one with harbor freight tin snips in 2 minutes.

Again. OP cannot complain if you haven't cut and posted filters before. Beggars can't be choosy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back