Mower thrown to the curb..

This Toro Recycler 6hp Briggs was setting on the curb with the trash around the corner. Put a little gas down the carb and it started right up. Had no oil, needs a new filter, plug and primer bulb but I don't hear or see anything wrong with it. Even the self-propelled works! Going to change the oil a few times next spring.

8FE7BDA4-939A-4418-BBB0-4E7ADAA3D1FE.jpeg

Sometimes people get tired of things. I bought a Lawn Boy push model with the Duraforce 2-stroke when I got my first house. The governor spring broke so it'll only idle. Plus it needs new wheels.
I moved to a 5 acre lot and don't need it, not even as a trim/finishing mower.
I should put it out with the trash with a note stating governor spring broke. But because it's a cool 2-stroke, I'm hesitant to.

Nice little mowers. I'm guessing when you say you poured gas down the carb it wouldn't pull start? If not that's why it was sitting at the curb.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Nice little mowers. I'm guessing when you say you poured gas down the carb it wouldn't pull start? If not that's why it was sitting at the curb.

Had a full tank of gas so had to be the bulb.

Nice! I've scored similar mowers, in fact in close to 40 years of owning a house I never bought a mower or snowblower. I've always had one though. LOL People have no clue what they're throwing away.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Sometimes people get tired of things. I bought a Lawn Boy push model with the Duraforce 2-stroke when I got my first house. The governor spring broke so it'll only idle. Plus it needs new wheels.
I moved to a 5 acre lot and don't need it, not even as a trim/finishing mower.
I should put it out with the trash with a note stating governor spring broke. But because it's a cool 2-stroke, I'm hesitant to.

Since they stopped making the two stroke models they are selling for a premium. Put it on Craigslist and make $100 or so.

Nice find. I have dragged a couple mowers home that I've found on the curb in my neighborhood. Normally a $15 ebay carb gets them going then I sell them for $75 on craigslist.

I found a similar model last year. Broken self propelled cable, replaced, $13. It's the personal pace style. Goes so fast I can hardly keep up with it. Best mower I have ever owned.

Last edited:
See...this is why B&S new "never change oil" mowers will work out fine. When a simple hardware failure sends a mower to the curb, it's of no consequence whether oil was ever changed or not. And that's what most people's strategy is these days, push it to curb and run to the big box store and get another one. I totally get it that many people don't have skills, tools and time to do a repair or even haul it to a repair shop. I'm also sure that B&S gets it too. I'll bet the life expectancy of push or walk behind mowers like this is just a handful of years. Oh well, it's just another example of our "throw away " lifestyle.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
And the next one they buy will be a battery electric model.
smile.gif

How true.... Seeing more and more battery driven lawn mowers around my neighborhood.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by super20dan
thats one of the good toros now all you get is crappy personal pace

You must of had a bad experience with the Personal Pace, I've had three different Toro's all with Personal Pace and all of them worked flawlessly. I admit there is a bit of a learning curve but once you get it down and get the cable adjusted it's the only way to go.

Originally Posted by philipp10
I found a similar model last year. Broken self propelled cable, replaced, $13. It's the personal pace style. Goes so fast I can hardly keep up with it. Best mower I have ever owned.

This one might need one also, alot of slack in the cable. Once I get it running good I'll address that.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
See...this is why B&S new "never change oil" mowers will work out fine. When a simple hardware failure sends a mower to the curb, it's of no consequence whether oil was ever changed or not. And that's what most people's strategy is these days, push it to curb and run to the big box store and get another one. I totally get it that many people don't have skills, tools and time to do a repair or even haul it to a repair shop. I'm also sure that B&S gets it too. I'll bet the life expectancy of push or walk behind mowers like this is just a handful of years. Oh well, it's just another example of our "throw away " lifestyle.

True, I didn't check to see if it had a plug but there's ways around that. As I get older it gets to become a game on how long I can make things run versus when I was younger and always wanted new.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by super20dan
thats one of the good toros now all you get is crappy personal pace

You must of had a bad experience with the Personal Pace, I've had three different Toro's all with Personal Pace and all of them worked flawlessly. I admit there is a bit of a learning curve but once you get it down and get the cable adjusted it's the only way to go.

I was thinking the same.. seems to be ok for the 15 minutes I ran it.

Originally Posted by nwjones18
Nice find. I have dragged a couple mowers home that I've found on the curb in my neighborhood. Normally a $15 ebay carb gets them going then I sell them for $75 on craigslist.

I'm going to start doing that. I recycled a bunch and regret doing so now.

Here's a couple more in my neighbours back yard. I imagine he'll get around to fixing them up some day.
laugh.gif

With this quality of a mower makes me wonder why he parked it.. but like this one probably something small!

Originally Posted by DaHen
And the next one they buy will be a battery electric model.
smile.gif

How true.... Seeing more and more battery driven lawn mowers around my neighborhood.
smirk.gif

There was actually a few electric models on the curb around here. I regret not grabbing them!

Back