NEW Mobil EV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder who will take up XOM on that, besides Daimler and VAG? Tesla, Toyota and GM seem to be using off-the-shelf or existing fluids/lubricants for their cars.

Off the shelf differential fluid in many electric cars is Mercon LV or something similarly light (kv100 6.0). They don't use typical 75w-90 (kv100 ~16) or whatever higher weights like you usually see in ICE car differentials, I would guess due to the absence of the pinion ring gear in most electric vehicles (transverse spur gears only).

Supposedly Tesla uses Dex VI for their motor-diff units and G-48 to cool down the electronics and batteries. Toyota is running ATF WS for their hybrids and the Mirai's motor unit. The fuel cell stack does call for a special Toyota FC Stack Coolant, but plain Jane pink SLLC is used for the inverter.

Toyota is using a planetary gear set in all their hybrids to provide a mechanical split between the two electric motors and the ICE. Some models will include a reduction gear or a 4-speed set of gears(the Lexus multi-mode version). WS has proven to be adequate in those cases.

Originally Posted by nthach
Supposedly Tesla uses Dex VI for their motor-diff units and G-48 to cool down the electronics and batteries. Toyota is running ATF WS for their hybrids and the Mirai's motor unit. The fuel cell stack does call for a special Toyota FC Stack Coolant, but plain Jane pink SLLC is used for the inverter. Toyota is using a planetary gear set in all their hybrids to provide a mechanical split between the two electric motors and the ICE. Some models will include a reduction gear or a 4-speed set of gears(the Lexus multi-mode version). WS has proven to be adequate in those cases.

ATF WS, Dexron VI, and my example above of Mercon LV are all 5 to 6 cSt KV100, thin compared to motor oil anyway. I'm always tempted to run something a bit thicker, as in Mercon V at a 7.5 KV100 just to get lower wear numbers. I'd think one could go up 1 or 2 cSt like that and certainly not hurt anything.

Originally Posted by paoester
... They don't use typical 75w-90 (kv100 ~16) or whatever higher weights like you usually see in ICE car differentials, I would guess due to the absence of the pinion ring gear in most electric vehicles (transverse spur gears only).
Helical gears on parallel shafts (as in transverse FWD "transaxle" applications) are far less demanding on lubricant than the hypoid gears generally used in rear differentials. More efficient, too, partly because thinner oil can safely be used.

Last edited:
One day, when most of us are old and some of us are dead, some Edward Snowden of the auto industry will release thousands of documents that both the carmakers and the three-letter agencies all knew there were zero "benefits" to EVs, and it was simply another way to fleece the people. There are so many sources of oil in the world that can be turned into gasoline; cobalt that is used for lithium-ion batteries and electronics (which make up a majority of electric vehicles) draws a majority of its ore from two African countries with "storied" pasts steeped in terrible human rights issues. I know which source of energy I would pick.

I'm not really sure there is a need for all these new products from Shell and XOM, since electric motors and similar drive systems have been around for a long time in uses where it makes more sense, instead of in a mobile Superfund site if the EV is involved in a catastrophic crash. In my mind, there are still so many things that can be done to increase the efficiency of ICE vehicles; yes, with some additional costs but much fewer environmental impacts. Engine and drivetrain parts can use isotropic finishing, ceramic coatings, FEA-optimized geometries, just to name a tiny few, to help reduce friction, better control heat, improve combustion efficiencies, and better control the mass of all moving parts; all of which will increase MPG. Plus, lighter, smoother, slipperier parts inside the engine and drivetrain will accelerate faster and feel more sprightly.

Meh, I give up. I know my post is somewhat OT but I'll go back to this point: If it wasn't for Al Gore and some other loudmouthed fatalists with questionable data, combined with significant taxpayer-funded government subsidies, the true "native" market for EV/PHEV would be so small there would likely not be enough interest for more than a single model from a single manufacturer. It's an artificial demand. I'll stop there.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
One day, when most of us are old and some of us are dead, some Edward Snowden of the auto industry will release thousands of documents that both the carmakers and the three-letter agencies all knew there were zero "benefits" to EVs, and it was simply another way to fleece the people. There are so many sources of oil in the world that can be turned into gasoline; cobalt that is used for lithium-ion batteries and electronics (which make up a majority of electric vehicles) draws a majority of its ore from two African countries with "storied" pasts steeped in terrible human rights issues. I know which source of energy I would pick.

I'm not really sure there is a need for all these new products from Shell and XOM, since electric motors and similar drive systems have been around for a long time in uses where it makes more sense, instead of in a mobile Superfund site if the EV is involved in a catastrophic crash. In my mind, there are still so many things that can be done to increase the efficiency of ICE vehicles; yes, with some additional costs but much fewer environmental impacts. Engine and drivetrain parts can use isotropic finishing, ceramic coatings, FEA-optimized geometries, just to name a tiny few, to help reduce friction, better control heat, improve combustion efficiencies, and better control the mass of all moving parts; all of which will increase MPG. Plus, lighter, smoother, slipperier parts inside the engine and drivetrain will accelerate faster and feel more sprightly.

Meh, I give up. I know my post is somewhat OT but I'll go back to this point: If it wasn't for Al Gore and some other loudmouthed fatalists with questionable data, combined with significant taxpayer-funded government subsidies, the true "native" market for EV/PHEV would be so small there would likely not be enough interest for more than a single model from a single manufacturer. It's an artificial demand. I'll stop there.

+1

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

+1000 (at least)

Originally Posted by jqgz
Bout time they recognize we are moving away from their lies and environmental destruction.

🙄🤦â€â™‚ï¸

Luddites, UNITE!
25.gif

Chevy Volt (Electric Car with Engine-based range extender) uses Dexron VI in the transmission. The Volt has 2 motor generators, and a few clutches that are only engaged and disengaged when there is no load on them, so they should last forever.

Chevy Bolt (Battery Only - Full Electric Car) uses Dexron HP for the gearbox. There are no clutches in the gearbox - just a straight gear ratio from the electric motor to the drive shafts.

Mobil already makes Dexron HP: https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluid/mobil-1-synthetic-lv-atf-hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back