Cant get the "D" light to stop blinking on my 2004 CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Get the codes read (properly) before you keep trying random fixes. Hondas will tell you if it's a pressure switch, and which one, or other parts that are not operating properly."

This. Also don't waste your money pouring additives in trying to fix it either.

Originally Posted by N Heat
2004 CRV 2wd 145k

About 6 months ago, the D light started randomly blinking while driving. It starts about 5 mins into a trip, and continues until the car is turned off. The tranny still shifts perfectly. Since then, Ive done a drain and fill with Honda fluid and 3rd clutch pressure switch. The fluid is acceptable level according to dipstick. At this point, Im thinking the $120 diagnostic at dealer is inevitable.

ECU and TCM are integrated in this model almost 100% positive of it. If you've used a decent code reader and still get no codes it is likely that components on the
circuit board on the control unit itself are failing. Usually in Honda and some others after 15-20 years the electrolytic capacitors start going bad and will cause all sorts of odd errors like this, I would open the ECU up and inspect the electrolytic caps and look at the entire board for anything unusual like burned spots...The electrolytic caps can be replaced if you know how to solder.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
2004 CRV 2wd 145k

About 6 months ago, the D light started randomly blinking while driving. It starts about 5 mins into a trip, and continues until the car is turned off. The tranny still shifts perfectly. Since then, Ive done a drain and fill with Honda fluid and 3rd clutch pressure switch. The fluid is acceptable level according to dipstick. At this point, Im thinking the $120 diagnostic at dealer is inevitable.

ECU and TCM are integrated in this model almost 100% positive of it. If you've used a decent code reader and still get no codes it is likely that components on the
circuit board on the control unit itself are failing. Usually in Honda and some others after 15-20 years the electrolytic capacitors start going bad and will cause all sorts of odd errors like this, I would open the ECU up and inspect the electrolytic caps and look at the entire board for anything unusual like burned spots...The electrolytic caps can be replaced if you know how to solder.

This is an interesting take. Given the performance of the tranny, it doesn't seem to be anything wrong. I dont really want to take it to the dealer for analysis, but I guess its that or dig into ECU.

AC1DD said:
This is an interesting take. Given the performance of the tranny, it doesn't seem to be anything wrong. I dont really want to take it to the dealer for analysis, but I guess its that or dig into ECU.

It's the dirty little secret in the electronics field that the weakest link in most electronically controlled devices when it comes to discrete components is electrolytic capacitors.
They contain a gel or grease like filling that over time dries out and will either cause the capacitor to swell and burst leaking the gel onto the circuit board or just dry up and stop functioning all together in any case an out of spec electrolytic cap will cause all sorts of weird symptoms that will look like any number of other problems like bad grounds, faulty power, ect. If you can get the cover off the ECU a nice peek will usually find exploded caps, but if you can soldier it might just be better to replace all of these cap types.
Might be a dozen at most, and they cost very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back