Who Makes the Best Class 8 "Semi" Truck These Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by blair
I'm not a truck driver, but volvo's are made assembles in my hometown by a bunch of drunks and druggies. Probably the same everywhere

Volvo is also building buses in NY State and Quebec - no one outside of Quebec/Vancouver(Canada, not WA)/NYC and Chicago buys NovaBus or Prevost. Prevost, however, seems to be popular with tour bus operators.

I've read VW via MAN has a major stake in International now.

Outside of the city, I see the big boys(Swift, JB Hunt, England and Walmart) mostly run Freightliner Cascadias or International Eagles. In the city, for box trucks I see an equal amount of Cummins-powered Freightliners and Hinos. Mixer and dump trucks seem to be mostly Peterbilt or Kenworth around here.

We have a new Mack Anthem at work and I really like it. It has good power, 12 speed automatic that actually shifts really well. It's doubtful that anyone could out drive the auto in real world situations unless they're just banging gears and using the jake to slow the engine down between shifts. They are that good. That being said, I like a manual tranny for liquid loads.

It's hard to beat a W900 K-W or 379 Peterbilt. A favorite engine of mine was the Detroit Series 60 pre emissions. We did have a couple engines throw a rod though but most made it to 1,000,000 miles before they were traded or sold.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
It's hard to beat a W900 K-W or 379 Peterbilt. A favorite engine of mine was the Detroit Series 60 pre emissions. We did have a couple engines throw a rod though but most made it to 1,000,000 miles before they were traded or sold.

The 60 was a great engine, and that's coming from a lifelong devout CAT guy. N14 Cummins was good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back