2019 Honda Ridgeline, thoughts?

Originally Posted by UncleDave
I just put another 463 miles on today and got 27.5 (indicated) at 75 MPH - I can get 31 @ 70 but that extra 5 MPH buys you a half an hour extra at the end of the day.

Dang, that's impressive.

Driver her real easy and she'll reward you for it.

Just in case anyone claims I'm measuring short downhill bursts - here's a 300-mile trip.

No hypermiling drafting or any other nonsense just careful accelerating and not doing kickdown passes.

To me THIS is beautiful.......

UD

IMG_8906.jpg

IMG_8903.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo
Wow that is impressive mileage. You'd have to put up with a diesel to beat that.

Well to be fair he still has a timing belt to deal with, and exotic Honda transmission fluid to boot.
wink.gif
Then all the guys who'd sneer at him for owning a faux-truck. And so forth...

I got 26.6 indicated on my first tank, with the econ button off.
That was mixed city and highway driving. It should do even better after break-in.

Between my buddies colorado getting 21 (he claims) at 75 and my 27.5 at 25K miles I'll have saved enough money at 3.75 (thats what it costs here average) to cover the belt rollers and water pump change at 75K miles I'll be able to pay for that 3 times over. Manual says between 60 and 100 "severity of use dependant"

The chain car will never run as smooth as the belt car and a body on frame solid axle truck will never ride like a fully independent unibody truck on a group towing trip after a few hours towing in the right lane your buddies will be begging to drive your faux truck...

What is this exotic trans fluid being spoken of?

Honda OEM fluids are cheap from Bernardi auto parts, and the trans fluid has an Idemitsu equivalent type H+ available easily.

Ostensibly Valvoline maxlife works great in hondas although I'm not going to check that out.....

Uncle Dave

IMG_6321.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 2.45.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Good point Dave. Do all the Ridgeline's have cylinder deactivation now? I'm not very familiar with the 3.5L Honda engine. The Ridge is a smart decision. White is also a good choice lol.

Great AWD system too.

I live in so cal and boat in the high desert - all my vehicles are white.

Yes they have cylinder deactivation, only 2 modes - 6 and 3 cylinders with a 2 stage motor mount that changes frequency.

That helping the 70 MPH average above that speed it only occurs downhills.

Pretty unobtrusive about like pulling high gear in a stick shift car.

I recently drove from Salt Lake City to So Cal. I have my mpg tracker set to measure in 50 mile increments. I got 24.5 on the last 50 miles-in a crew cab 2018 Silverado 5.3.

20ish on the hwy is not uncommon under 80mph.

D
Originally Posted by CKN
I recently drove from Salt Lake City to So Cal. I have my mpg tracker set to measure in 50 mile increments. I got 24.5 on the last 50 miles-in a crew cab 2018 Silverado 5.3.

What route? the 15?

UD

D
Originally Posted by CKN

What route? the 15?

UD

Yes-the I-15.

Sharp truck! I think some other posters talking about expensive fluids are incorrectly assuming that the Ridgeline shares the unicorn blood drinking ZF9 speed with the Pilot and some of the Acura lineup. It does not.

and a body on frame solid axle truck will never ride like a fully independent unibody truck on a group towing trip after a few hours towing in the right lane your buddies will be begging to drive your faux truck...

I take it you didn't drive the '19 new style RAM then...

Originally Posted by CKN

Yes-the I-15.

Where did those 50 miles end - what city?

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dwcopple
and a body on frame solid axle truck will never ride like a fully independent unibody truck on a group towing trip after a few hours towing in the right lane your buddies will be begging to drive your faux truck...

No. I have not, although I've ridden in nearly every half and 3/4 ton made - its one of the perks of owning a boat company.

Does it have fully independent suspension front and rear?

Any and every solid axle truck will transfer jolts from one wheel to the other and the truck - they cannot fully isolate hits because they are physically connected.

This is the downside to a solid axle, not so say they don't have upsides - but ride quality surpassing independents is not one of those.

Does the 2019 ram defy the laws of physics or does it have class leading ride?

UD

Last edited:

[Linked Image]

Money shot. My Sonata only gets a little better mileage than this with the cruise on 75 and is worlds apart in capability.

No. I have not, although I've ridden in nearly every half and 3/4 ton made - its one of the perks of owning a boat company.

Any and every solid axle truck will transfer jolts from one wheel to the other and the truck - they cannot fully isolate hits because they are physically connected.

This is the downside to a solid axle, not so say they don't have upsides - but ride quality surpassing independents is not one of those.

UD

While the point of transferring bumps and road imperfections through a solid axle is correct, there isn't anything that causes fatigue in a new pickup truck made at least in the last five years-maybe longer. They are a great highway vehicle. I have leather seats, automatic temperature control, heated and cooled seats-not to mention a Bose stereo-the truck eats up miles - and will do so for several hundred miles-before needing fuel.I have already stated that the mid-20's mpg wise is obtainable. I will take the capabilities of my half-ton over a Ridgeline all day long.

Originally Posted by gofast182
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by terry274
I am thinking of buying a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL or RTL-E. Is there anything to watch out for on these?

the hideous appearance?

+1

Dumb.

+2

beauty is the eye of the beer hold....err I mean beholder. you need a bro truck, bro? go buy one.

UD
Were you the guy that was towing these things (boats) with mini vans (that were overloaded) about a year ago?

Back