Do high beams make you angry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by FT92
I my opinion those led or whatever type of head lights should be banned ..no place for them on the roads ,I wonder who the morons are that thought those lights would be good on vehicles

They're great when you're driving the vehicle with them. They also draw less power, meaning fuel savings (if minuscule).

I vote we mandate adaptive matrix LED's for all new cars!

Not really. I just understand that as I age my eyes will become more sensitive to the cooler (ie. blue) hues found in headlights and consequently it's just as likely that the beams are actually on "low" rather than "high". Make sense?

Originally Posted by Railrust
I'm surprised cars don't come with a sensor to automatically shut off the high beams when it senses another come coming in your direction. I want to say GM did something like this years ago, but knowing GM it probably either didn't work or the taillights went dim instead:)

That system appeared ages ago, but wasn't that great at not high-beaming cars you came up behind. My 1988 Town Car had it for example, not exactly sure when Ford introduced it? My Jeep has it presently and I expect Chrysler has used it on higher trim cars in the past like Ford.

Originally Posted by Railrust
I'm surprised cars don't come with a sensor to automatically shut off the high beams when it senses another come coming in your direction. I want to say GM did something like this years ago, but knowing GM it probably either didn't work or the taillights went dim instead:)

I have it on the CX5. It works very well

I my opinion those led or whatever type of head lights should be banned ..no place for them on the roads ,I wonder who the morons are that thought those lights would be good on vehicles

Maybe we should go back to lamps hanging on the fender?

Originally Posted by PimTac

Maybe with a man walking ahead waving a flag.
People forget how miserable sealed beams performed. Back in the ‘70s and ‘80s I installed Cibie E Code headlamps in every car I owned. I even installed Hella E Codes with OSRAM Night Breaker H4s in the Wrangler. They work great.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by PimTac

Maybe with a man walking ahead waving a flag.
People forget how miserable sealed beams performed. Back in the ‘70s and ‘80s I installed Cibie E Code headlamps in every car I owned. I even installed Hella E Codes with OSRAM Night Breaker H4s in the Wrangler. They work great.

I really like the led headlamps. They do have a defined cutoff but the light is clear. Sealed beams used to slowly grow dimmer over the years. You wouldn't notice it until you had to replace one.

I wish the US would allow adaptive led lights. They run in high beam all the time but if someone is incoming or in front of you select leds will turn off to prevent blinding the driver but you still have maximum light elsewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by dave1251
No. I am annoyed when due to the fact I drive a pick up drivers assume my high beams are on. I rarely use high beams and I can't recall using them in urban areas.

I don't care what you drive or if you have your high or low beams on, if your lights are shining in my eyes, you will get flashed.

If you are constantly getting flashed, maybe it is you and not them. Check you headlight aim.

My lights are fine it's no one's fault when your eyes have aged to the point when HID lights are too intense for you to adjust. Plus when I do get flashed my high beams will come on to the point you understand light intensity can dramatically increase.

High beams serve no purpose for better vision in city driving. Ambient light from street lights cancels out any additional visibility they normally provide on a dark road, yet I encounter 2-3 of these idiots every morning. I don't know if they can't tell, or if its purposeful, but it makes me long for the set of Cibies my Dad had on his '78 Blazer. They'd melt your rear view mirror. I flash them my HID high beams on my Mustang, but it has no effect.

Especially the OLD people. They seem to have problems seeing at night. They drive slow with high beams on.

Last edited:
I don't know about modern cars, but my Volvo has three positions on the headlight switch, marked with a "0", a picture of parking lights, and a picture of a headlamp.

If you leave them in "0", they will run at half-power as daytime running lights, and then when it gets dark, go to full power. Here's the kicker -- as long as you are in the "0" position, the headlights return to low beam when you release the dimmer. To use the high beams for real, you have to turn the headlights "on" manually. IMO, this is a pretty good design.

I think auto-on headlights should have been made mandatory in the mid-2000s, as soon as light-up dashes became common.

Also, I'm with the OP complaining about people with high beams and LEDs in reflector housings.

Really, all LEDs and HIDs have a bluish light that is quite a bit worse for glare...

Last edited:
I agree, most of the time people have their high beams on because one of their low beams is out and they need better lighting than a single low beam. This is not a problem, except that they do not to fix it timely (or are just lazy) and consciously choose to drive around with high beams on for months at a time, not caring about anyone else on the road. Wish there was more law enforcement. Laws have no effect unless they are enforced.

Just too many bad drivers and inconsiderate people to single out the high beams behavior. There is a laundry list of bad behaviors for the "average modern driver." DMV will give a drivers license to anyone with a pulse. Don't understand the road signs because you never bothered to learn the language? Obviously that's a massive safety issue but you passed the dummy test so it's OK... here's your license.

HID lamps blinding people on low beam are not the fault of the driver but the fault of the manufacturer for not focusing the beam. Maybe HID beams cannot be focused? Now that I think about it, maybe it is the DOT's fault for approving these headlights for mass production and use on public roads.

I don't care what you drive or if you have your high or low beams on, if your lights are shining in my eyes, you will get flashed.

If you are constantly getting flashed, maybe it is you and not them. Check you headlight aim.

Rather than flagrantly and habitually breaking the law while going all vigilante on other drivers, how about taking a step back and leaving the traffic enforcement to those employed by the city, state, and county to do it instead?

Originally Posted by tomcat27
Around here it's the clocks that install LED and HID bulbs in housings made for halogen

Yes, this...

Can always tell these bad conversions by the non-existent or useless cutoff on low beam and poorly focused high beam. These are annoying, but hey they are HID/LED drop in so they are cool!

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

Rather than flagrantly and habitually breaking the law while going all vigilante on other drivers, how about taking a step back and leaving the traffic enforcement to those employed by the city, state, and county to do it instead?

If this theory worked, this thread wouldn't exist.

Originally Posted by painfx
Especially the OLD people. They seem to have problems seeing at night. They drive slow with high beams on.

This is the only time it doesn't irritate me, if that's what they need to do to keep from killing someone or them selves I guess I'm ok with it.

The brighter LED or what ever they are called is what gets my blood boiling, sure they can see better but at the expense of the rest of us not seeing as well.

Last edited:
Drivers today are absolutely horrible when it comes to using their headlights. Most of the time I see idiots driving around after dark with NO lights on...how can they not tell their lights aren't on? You can't see where you're going after dark if they're off. The other thing people are doing is not turning off their high beams when they approach oncoming vehicles. If I have my high beams on, I dim my lights as soon as I see headlights of an oncoming vehicle. I shouldn't have to flash drivers my high beams to get them to turn off their high beams. I don't know if these people are just plain inconsiderate, or if they're off in some La La Land just not paying attention, but I'm getting sick of these idiots...

Another thing that infuriates me are these semis with these super bright light bars, they are actually blinding and they won't turn them off for nothing. I turn my high beams on them...these light bars are completely unnecessary and are actually dangerous to other drivers...they should be outlawed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back