Gifted a 2007 Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've been handed another basket case. This time, it's a family heirloom!

My parents purchased this particular car in the spring of 2008 as a CPO with something like 23k miles on it. My mother drove it for the next 9 years or so, and my aunt has been driving it until now. I'm the only one who's serviced the car it's whole life up until my aunt got it, she took it to a small, reputable shop.

Well, I've got a bit of a project on my hands. It's currently sitting at 180k miles, and it needs some love. The rear brakes were metal on metal when I got it, that's been handled with some cheap rotors and semi-metallics. The front rotors pulsate, both outer tie rods are shot, and the right front bearing is humming. The transmission is definitely showing it's age, however once you get moving it feels fine. I'm going to do a suck and fill with Trans Tune, run a couple hundred miles, then do another suck and fill. It'll either kill it or refresh it, either way I'm not too worried about it. It's got a vibration at idle in gear, I'm pretty sure the oil pan leak has finally taken out the motor mount on that side. Again, oh well.

Aside from that, everything seems to be in order. The CEL is on, I haven't scanned it yet. I plan on doing that tomorrow when I throw the winter wheels on it. I want to get that figured out, as the remote start doesn't work if there are errors in the PCM.

Other than that, it's a... well it's a 2007 Impala LT. It's about what you would expect, all things considered. I find it incredible that the W-body has been around as long as it has and still just works. Talk about solid, if not boring, transportation.

Yeah I still drive a 28-year-old W-body. Other than just being a terribly old car, and a little bit of rocker rust, its proven to be very reliable and economical to operate. Definitely get those codes. Probably something trivial like an oxygen sensor or spark plugs on a vehicle that age. Or plugged up IAC passages, especially if it was serviced frequently with dino oils.

The factory engine mount on my W-body spent 20+ years soaking in an oil drip, and it was still good when I had it apart a few years ago to replace the oil pan gasket. So I wouldn't assume that the factory mount went bad just because of the oil exposure.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Yeah I still drive a 28-year-old W-body. Other than just being a terribly old car, and a little bit of rocker rust, its proven to be very reliable and economical to operate. Definitely get those codes. Probably something trivial like an oxygen sensor or spark plugs on a vehicle that age. Or plugged up IAC passages, especially if it was serviced frequently with dino oils.

The factory engine mount on my W-body spent 20+ years soaking in an oil drip, and it was still good when I had it apart a few years ago to replace the oil pan gasket. So I wouldn't assume that the factory mount went bad just because of the oil exposure.

I'll see what I come up with tomorrow. I've fought EVAP vent valve codes on this car before, so I'm half expecting it to be that.

Surprisingly enough, the car has never had dino. It got full synthetic 5w30 from 22k-130k or thereabouts and has since run a steady died of HM 5w30. 4-5k oil changes, almost religiously. My mother is not one to let a vehicle be destroyed. The funny thing is, I've done almost nothing to keep the thing on the road over the years. I used the snot out of the CPO warranty at the beginning (several wheel bearings, 2 steering racks, and a few other nit-pick things) but otherwise all it's gotten it tires and oil changes.

Come to think of it, it's still got it's original plugs and coolant. I should probably add those to the list. That being said, it's still on the original radiator, water pump, alternator, and it's only recently had the original belt replaced. It's almost shocking how many original parts are still on this thing.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Come to think of it, it's still got it's original plugs and coolant. I should probably add those to the list. That being said, it's still on the original radiator, water pump, alternator, and it's only recently had the original belt replaced. It's almost shocking how many original parts are still on this thing.

Same observation on my 2008 Burb except I changed the coolant at 5 years. Gotta love that Dexcool! It probably came with AC Delco Iridiums. Mine came out at 180,000 miles still looking fully functional.

"She's got a Cop engine, a cop suspension and cop brakes"
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Drosselmier
What is a CPO car? I've seen it mentioned several times on this forum.

"certified pre-owned" car. Means they inspect it to death, and only take decent used cars, and probably have a warranty of some kind on it.

Originally Posted by Donald
What is the rust situation? The sprays like CarWell and FF and Krown will not fix rust but they pretty much stop it in its place.

It's actually not bad at all. The pinch welds are getting a little crusty, but other than that it's "clean". The hood is a little crunched from a hit and run years ago, the left rear tail light is busted, and there's scratches all over but overall it's fine for what it is.

Nice, wife had a '10 Impala for awhile. Minimal repairs, very boring indeed but easy at the same time. Niece is driving it now, and seems to like it!

Other than that, it's a... well it's a 2007 Impala LT. It's about what you would expect, all things considered.

The Camry of American cars. A bit bland but fairly trouble free and reliable.

Originally Posted by ad244
Post up some pics, I wanna see this vehicle

I know! I'm slacking on the pictures. I'll try and remember to get some tomorrow, there really isn't much to see. It's a dark maroon Impala, just like all the other rental specials.

I did throw the snow's on it today, I have to say it looks pretty cool on steelies. Unfortunately the factory 9C1 center caps won't fit these aftermarket wheels, but it still looks neat.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
They do make great beater cars...friend;s son just got a 2009 as his first car.....

I am in NYC now and still see a sprinkling of 2007-2010 Implalas still on patrol on those pot holed streets. Did not think they would have held up that long.

Talk about solid, if not boring, transportation.

211 hp V6, can take a corner decently... a person could do a lot worse in the boring department.

Sure beats driving an econobox car. Plenty of room. Doesn't sound buzzy. And its highway mpg doesn't disappoint.

It's not surprising that it's still hanging in there with 180,000 miles on it. The main thing that might impress me on yours is if the rear power door locks still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back