pulling a trailer through the drive thru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw three people pulling utility trailers through the CFA drive through at lunch on a single day last week. You gotta understand there is NOWHERE to park a pickup truck and trailer within 300' of a Chick-Fil-A generally around lunch time. It works at most of them. Some CFA drive-throughs are very tight seeing how they have revamped nearly all stores to have dual ordering/lines now. I generally don't go through a drive through with my Tundra, I generally don't do "take away" food.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I don't ever see anyone do it, but if it's big enough and the drive thru doesn't have that curb that keeps you from pulling out. why not? I went through the mcdonalds drive thru with the trailer yesterday cause their wasn't anywhere to park.

When we go to the cottage to close up I routinely drive through the McDonalds drive-through with the empty tin boat trailer to grab a coffee, and the same on the way back, with the boat on it. Would I do it with one of the big boats? No. But the tinner is pretty small and the trailer quite narrow.

I do it when possible

Its not against the law

I could care less about the people behind me

Because I can

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I do it when possible

Its not against the law

Because I can

Until you get jammed in a tight turn which many drive thru have these days and can't get out because of cars behind you.

You shouldn't get any help getting it out either, because you can.

I've never understood the whole 2-1 drive thru deal.

Me neither lol. I would think taking the orders isn't the bottleneck, it's the food prep.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I do it when possible

Its not against the law

Because I can

Until you get jammed in a tight turn which many drive thru have these days and can't get out because of cars behind you.

You shouldn't get any help getting it out either, because you can.

I go through with the truck by itself first before I try with the trailer. Yes some of them are too tight, but most are doable. You have to do what I call a 90 degree turn. Watch an 18 wheeler turn if you don't know what I'm talking about.

I know a guy with a 28' cabin cruiser on a 3 axle trailer that uses the drive through. They have a list of places they can stop at with a tall enough awning at the drive through between here and Florida.

I believe by law they need to have wide load banners too.

Originally Posted by dogememe

Me neither lol. I would think taking the orders isn't the bottleneck, it's the food prep.

Sometimes it is, yes. You get these women that want to order everything on the menu b.s. you sit there for 3 minutes. Either that or they want to customize there cheeseburger and they can't hardly hear them.

Late at night when the customers tend to be drunk and/or stoned, it slows down.

The order takers are in an off-site call center, possibly even outside the country.

Originally Posted by mk378

The order takers are in an off-site call center, possibly even outside the country.

Really? I've always found that the person at the first window is the one who took the order. You can tell by their voice. What company is outsourcing this? Not trying to argue I just don't believe that.

Prob because when someone gets stuck ordering, ummmm, uhhhhh, let's see here, ok one big mac, two fries, wait a minute, one quarter pounder, no ketchup , extra onion, etc.....

Meanwhile three cars in the other lane just went through. Plus in the outer lane it would be easy to get a trailer around. Plus I like their coffee. The egg Mcmuffin is decent and even the egg white Mcmuffin is good although it's rare that I get those.

Really? I've always found that the person at the first window is the one who took the order. You can tell by their voice. What company is outsourcing this? Not trying to argue I just don't believe that.

Not the case here. Sometimes it is the person who takes the money, but it can also be someone else in the restaurant. What's funny is I hear the voice and I'm imagining a cute blonde when I pull up and it's some old dude.

I get cut off or passed as I wait for a lane to open then end up getting through the long lane faster than said cuttee since there is always the 25 Big Mac guy in the short lane.

Then I end up waiting in that idiotic row after the drive through

Not the case here. Sometimes it is the person who takes the money, but it can also be someone else in the restaurant. What's funny is I hear the voice and I'm imagining a cute blonde when I pull up and it's some old dude.

006210B0-5877-4D7C-9251-4BFE4E3859E7.jpeg

Last edited:

I've heard that adding the 2nd lane at a busy McDonalds allows for an unbelievable amount of extra business from some franchisees.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda

I've heard that adding the 2nd lane at a busy McDonalds allows for an unbelievable amount of extra business from some franchisees.

I think it lessons the chance that an indecisive customer will hold up the line. If one guy holds up lane number 2 then they just continue letting the people in lane 1 go through.

I once pulled my motorcycle trailer through a McDonald's drive through and and got hung on one of those yellow, concrete filled posts. Trailer went up on one wheel then came crashing back down. The manager came running out, thinking there had been a wreck in the drive through. He yelled "Did you hear that noise?" I said "I didn't hear anything. " Proceeded to pay, get my food and leave. Pulled over down the road to inspect damage. A bent tie down arm and a missing fender. Never did fix any of that stuff. Looking at it was like remembering a good joke or a funny story.

Last edited:
Alright, I know this a back-from-the-dead thread, but I have to say there are some amateurs here!

McDonalds is happy to let you pull a trailer through, and they will serve the apple pie right to your horse if you leave the door pinned open. (I made it a habit to treat him with two apple pies after particularly hard rides or trailer trips).

Yes this was actually in the McDonald's drive-thru, Sammamish, WA. He got two pies, I just got a single coffee.
wink.gif

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back