Do high beams make you angry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
High beams can just about blind drivers who have cataracts. I know because I have been there. Cataracts have to progress to a certain point before insurance will pay for the surgery. And before that happens it can be very hard to drive at night with all the people driving with their high beams on or other modifications that make their lights too bright.

No. I am annoyed when due to the fact I drive a pick up drivers assume my high beams are on. I rarely use high beams and I can't recall using them in urban areas.

One of my first jobs as a teenager in the 1950`s was to help with inspections when not pumping gas. All the stations checked headlight adjustments. Suddenly this ended and now unless the customer asks, lights only have to light up.

Probably most high beam runners aren't aware they are on bright, quite possibly because they were on bright when they put the vehicle away the last time they drove it.

Of course you could argue the common courtesy aspect, but "whatever"!

Don't know why manufacturers don't build in an auto-cancellation feature to automatically return the beams to low upon vehicle shutoff.

Originally Posted by dave1251
No. I am annoyed when due to the fact I drive a pick up drivers assume my high beams are on. I rarely use high beams and I can't recall using them in urban areas.

I don't care what you drive or if you have your high or low beams on, if your lights are shining in my eyes, you will get flashed.

If you are constantly getting flashed, maybe it is you and not them. Check you headlight aim.

To be fair to Dave.... I'd bet good money the people upset with him are in smaller sedans and coupe style vehicles... Where his regular headlight position lines up perfectly for vehicles like mine... And there is nothing much Dave can do about that... It is the difference in vehicle height that is the real problem there. I have to remind myself of this obvious fact when so many doggone trucks and SUVs and even CUVs do this to me...

Yeah, it's pretty standard for trucks to look like they have their high beams on when it's just vehicle height that causes them to be flashing directly in your eyes. Nothing to do but not stare too closely.

Originally Posted by bbhero
To be fair to Dave.... I'd bet good money the people upset with him are in smaller sedans and coupe style vehicles... Where his regular headlight position lines up perfectly for vehicles like mine... And there is nothing much Dave can do about that... It is the difference in vehicle height that is the real problem there. I have to remind myself of this obvious fact when so many doggone trucks and SUVs and even CUVs do this to me...

I feel your pain. Thank god for auto dimming mirrors!

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Yeah, it's pretty standard for trucks to look like they have their high beams on when it's just vehicle height that causes them to be flashing directly in your eyes. Nothing to do but not stare too closely.

Yeah sir exactly...

And now these big $$$$ trucks come with nuclear powered headlights and that makes it even worse.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

I feel your pain. Thank god for auto dimming mirrors!

Yeah my auto dimming rear virw mirror does not really do much... I just turn it down now... The old school rear view mirror actually worked way better in my opinion/ observations.

Yeah sir exactly...

And now these big $$$$ trucks come with nuclear powered headlights and that makes it even worse.

Around here it's not the highbeams, every truck, CUV and minivan has extremely bright "fog" lights that are improperly aimed.

The car dims the headlights but the 8 other lights they leave on are brighter than the headlights.

Having lights other than headlights on is illegal in the presence of traffic but no one cares.

Yeah my auto dimming rear virw mirror does not really do much... I just turn it down now... The old school rear view mirror actually worked way better in my opinion/ observations.

I have 20% tint on all windows except the windshield, which helped. It did increase the time it takes for them to darken a little though...

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

Yeah sir exactly...

Around here it's not the highbeams, every truck, CUV and minivan has extremely bright "fog" lights that are improperly aimed.

The car dims the headlights but the 8 other lights they leave on are brighter than the headlights.

Having lights other than headlights on is illegal in the presence of traffic but no one cares.

You know that is a great point... And you are right. And it is very blinding to other smaller and lower profile vehicles.

I have night driving glasses (the ones with the yellow lens) so the glare from lights hardly phases me. My biggest gripe as a trucker is people cutting me off, not signaling, and people poking along in hilly areas where I'm trying to keep my momentum up to not impede following traffic.

Are headlights aimed on the assembly line or is this done at the dealership when they prep a new vehicle for sale?

Because if it's being done on the assembly line, then there's a serious problem that isn't being addressed with headlights on many vehicles being misaimed when brand new.

Kind of like: (.)(o) where one points to the ground and the other seems to be shining straight onward.

Lifted trucks are another matter but those bros are too busy looking cool to random strangers to care about being courteous.

No, but being angry generally makes me angry.
mad.gif

I my opinion those led or whatever type of head lights should be banned ..no place for them on the roads ,I wonder who the morons are that thought those lights would be good on vehicles

I'm surprised cars don't come with a sensor to automatically shut off the high beams when it senses another come coming in your direction. I want to say GM did something like this years ago, but knowing GM it probably either didn't work or the taillights went dim instead:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back