Mix and match wheel cylinder brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, I'm replacing the wheel cylinders on rear drums, and I ordered two Wagner wheel cylinders. I received one, but the second one is on back order until January. That's not going to work with my schedule. I'd like to get this job done on Saturday, which is 4 days from now. Do I need to stick with the same brand on each side? The specs say same bore size, for what it's worth.

I could get another Wagner brand here in 9 days ($20). I could get parts-store brand now ($20) or get a Raybestos or Beck Arnley from Amazon for $15-16 in a couple of days. Your thoughts appreciated.

In my opinion, no.

Unless someone else can think of something I'm missing, they should perform exactly the same if they're the same size.

I would think it wouldn't be an issue, but I've never replaced wheel cylinders.

What vehicle is this on? Are they leaking or are you just doing preventative maintenance?

I don't think it's an issue, unlike disc brakes where both calipers should be replaced to maintain brake balance.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same Chinese wheel cylinder was supplied under different boxes.

I'd want the piston size to be the same, at least if it's not an anti-lock system. On slick surfaces, or in a panic stop, a piston larger than the other could cause that wheel to lock up, reducing braking on that wheel to zero.
Measure the one you have, and see if the parts store one matches, or is at least close. If it's 1/4" or more different, I'd pass.

I went through this same situation a few months ago when I was replacing the original factory rear wheel cylinders on a 1989 Pontiac Bonneville. I got a little overzealous with the bleeder on one of the Wagner replacements and had to settle for a Dorman parts store replacement. It was a slightly different shape than the Wagner but same piston size. I've had no issues

I did it recently on my Tacoma when I tore the boot of the OEM wheel cyl. on the right side while taking the drum off (it was my first time removing and replacing drum brakes and components, so I didn't know what I was doing).

I replaced it with an Auto Zone unit. No issues in the few months since.

for what it is worth,

I have replaced one rotor. I have replaced a leaking caliper with a loaded caliper after cleaning the rotor, and did not touch the other side. I have even reversed symmetrical pads to equalize wear. Never had a problem with pulling, confused the abs or any problem. Never even really noticed a difference. I do not race my car, I just drive it.

Rod

Originally Posted by atikovi
It's only an issue if you have OCD.

So you're telling me it's gonna be an issue....*sigh*

Otherwise, thank you for the feedback! I'm going to go with with mixed brands. Replacing them on a 1999 Toyota Sienna. I'm doing the wheel cylinders as part of the process of replacing the rear brakes due to my personal experience. Long ago, I changed just the shoes (different car), and the cylinders failed a few days later, nullifying my work. I read that as the bores are pushed back into their original positions, any corrosion that took place while the bore was exposed could score the seals. So in my mind, not worth the risk.

Not going to be an issue but some people have anxiety over stuff like that. Not having the same brand of tires on their car, not having the same color refrigerator and oven in their kitchen, not having the same socks on their feet.

They probably all come from the same Chinese factory anyway
45.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back