Hyundai observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 69Torino
Wife has had her 2008 Santa Fe Limited 3.3 AWD for 5 years now. She still likes it. She hauls hay and a two horse trailer with it. Plenty of power, and pretty stinking reliable. I've had to do a couple things to it over the years, new King Lift Springs and rear wheel bearings (big surprise from all the towing....) and a couple minor engine issues, such as oil control valves and the typical Lambda V6 oil leaks, but largely trouble free. It does not act like a car that has 235k on it. It's been a great car and I would recommend one to anyone. There are some Kia/Hyundai models I would steer people away from, having been a Kia Master Elite Tech for 5 years, I've seen some things. But this generation of Santa Fe or Veracruz is a great car.

How did you determine the correct replacement springs? I have a 2017 and it seems rear springs that many feel are a little too weak is mentioned frequently.

Japanese makes in general have quite a big problem to solve, their aging buyer base. If your product dosen't attract the young buyers, they have little chance to develop brand loyalty.

Lots if statistics also show that younger buyers are less interested in vehicle ownership, so the brands that can attract customers from that age demographic today, have a better chance for future sales as well.

Toyota in particular has been trying to battle this trend for a long time now. The Scion brand failed, Lexus rejuvination attempts failed and now they are trying to partner up with Mazda.

So while lots of people today would choose Toyota/Honda over Hyundai/Kia, 10-15 years from now this may not be the case.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Japanese makes in general have quite a big problem to solve, their aging buyer base. If your product dosen't attract the young buyers, they have little chance to develop brand loyalty.

Lots if statistics also show that younger buyers are less interested in vehicle ownership, so the brands that can attract customers from that age demographic today, have a better chance for future sales as well.

Toyota in particular has been trying to battle this trend for a long time now. The Scion brand failed, Lexus rejuvination attempts failed and now they are trying to partner up with Mazda.

So while lots of people today would choose Toyota/Honda over Hyundai/Kia, 10-15 years from now this may not be the case.

[Linked Image]

This is the forum that either used cars come to die.....or most owners hold on to their (new) vehicles until just about fully depreciated. While Hyundais still may not have quite the resale percentage of Toyo/Honda-it's close enough now it's really not a concern. Market changes could occur-and probably will in 10 years that nobody is aware of. I remember the "sales pitch" for time shares was always "they are not building enough hotel rooms-therefore your vacation (i.e. lodging costs) will sky rocket." They never saw the Airbnb situation coming. That among other reasons is why your timeshare is worthless-if you own one.

Last edited:
What would the cost of a Hyundai be if Korea was paying the true costs of defending their country? Having the United States taxpayers picking up the tab on such a substantial part of Korea's defense allows them to sell everything from cars to ships at artificially low prices.

Originally Posted by D45678
What would the cost of a Hyundai be if Korea was paying the true costs of defending their country? Having the United States taxpayers picking up the tab on such a substantial part of Korea's defense allows them to sell everything from cars to ships at artificially low prices.

Imagine if the Chinese paid the cost of the US defending them. Their prices would definitely go higher as well.

Imagine how much more a BMW or MB would cost if we didn't defend Germany.

I've owned 3 Hyundai/Kia products and I think my current one will be my last. I don't know what you guys are smoking but this car is
junk. It has so many recalls i can't keep them straight. More rattles than a cave full of rattlesnakes. It's great that they replace the motors when they seize or spin a rod but honestly would you rather deal with that or have an engine that won't blow up in the first place? They're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart, they got sued and they're buying people off to maintain their reputation. Plus the NHTSA has investigated, it's a safety issue when your motor grenades in traffic. Yet another reason for replacing motors for free.

That's not even mentioning the oil burners that have gotten replaced.

The engine fires because the fuel line to the HPFP was not secured properly by dealership monkeys after engine replacement.

And so on...and so on...and so on....

Another thing diverge from the crowd with, I think the older '00s models were better. Definitely more reliable. But anyway. Maybe a Japanese car next time, who knows.

Originally Posted by Brons2
I've owned 3 Hyundai/Kia products and I think my current one will be my last. I don't know what you guys are smoking but this car is
junk. It has so many recalls i can't keep them straight. More rattles than a cave full of rattlesnakes. It's great that they replace the motors when they seize or spin a rod but honestly would you rather deal with that or have an engine that won't blow up in the first place? They're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart, they got sued and they're buying people off to maintain their reputation. Plus the NHTSA has investigated, it's a safety issue when your motor grenades in traffic. Yet another reason for replacing motors for free.

That's not even mentioning the oil burners that have gotten replaced.

The engine fires because the fuel line to the HPFP was not secured properly by dealership monkeys after engine replacement.

And so on...and so on...and so on....

Another thing diverge from the crowd with, I think the older '00s models were better. Definitely more reliable. But anyway. Maybe a Japanese car next time, who knows.

I assume you're talking about your 2012 in your signature? Seven years is a long time for car company that has made so many changes. I'm not defending them - I've never owned one - the question is are the 2019+ vehicles any good? I don't know but will say my 2018 Honda Pilot is turning out to be a HUGE disappointment. My mother owned a Hyundai Accent around 1998 and that was really a piece of [censored]. Lots of things have changed in the last 7 years (good and bad).

Last edited:
Back in the spring, we were wanting to purchase a mid-sized SUV. We test drove:

GMC Acadia
Chevy Traverse
Ford Explorer
Buick Enclave
Toyota Highlander
Dodge Durango
Kia Sorento
Honda Pilot

All with similar options and all with V6 power trains.

I really thought the Explorer was a better driving vehicle overall, but the wife couldn't get over all those exhaust fume complaints they are known for...plus, the dealer didn't want to get right on the price. The wife liked the Kia better than the rest. We settled on a 2016 Kia Sorento SXV6 AWD. Couldn't be happier. It has PLENTY of pep. Handles and rides well and it's just a hair smaller than the Explorer which is why she was more comfortable maneuvering it.

What would the cost of a Hyundai Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, Nissan, Infinity, and Subaru be if Korea Japan was paying the true costs of defending their country? Having the United States taxpayers picking up the tab on such a substantial part of Korea's Japan's defense allows them to sell everything from cars to ships electronics at artificially low prices.

Fixed it for you.

we now own 2 hyundais . a 2019 Tucson Sel and 2019 Ioniq Sel. bought them both within 5 months . one for my daughter and my son. Having owned hondas and toyotas most of my life i think they are pretty good. i bought them also because of the warranty and no CVT and the quality was good.

Daughter has close to 10k miles on hers and my son 3500 . no issues yet . still tight with no rattles . comparing the Tucson to my mom 2017 CRV EX. the Ex is better, but it cost $6K more than the Tucson. whenever i drive the tucson its very quiet. the ioniq is getting 50 mpg with my lead footed son driving it to school.

i am old enough to remember when toyota and honda were considered junk. took them a long time to establish the brand . its gonna take hyundai a few more years to change peoples minds ,but most Asian companies think long term when competing in a market .

both of my hyundais were made in korea so i can't comment on the made in USA ones.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

I assume you're talking about your 2012 in your signature? Seven years is a long time for car company that has made so many changes. I'm not defending them - I've never owned one - the question is are the 2019+ vehicles any good? I don't know but will say my 2018 Honda Pilot is turning out to be a HUGE disappointment. My mother owned a Hyundai Accent around 1998 and that was really a piece of [censored]. Lots of things have changed in the last 7 years (good and bad).

The newer Theta engines are still having problems! Hyundai has extended the engine warranty up to 2018 for Sonatas, not sure about other models.

The V6's and the older Made in Korea 4cyl engines are more reliable. I would not buy anything with a 2.0T or 2.4 Theta II engine, even a 2020 model. Ticking time bombs, all of the Theta motors. It's no wonder, they worked with Chrysler on the design of the Thetas, used to be called the "world engine". It's not any more reliable for Chrysler either...

But yea if you can get something with one of the V6s it might be worthwhile.

I saved $5,000.00 I DONT CARE! NOR-do you have proof us defending them results in lower automobile prices.

Go wave a flag on a freeway overpass somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back