Lug bolts failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I was putting winter on and 95% of lug bolts have cracks in collar or are failing.

Always torqued down to 118ft lb
I will replace my torque wrench and order some lug bolts, OE

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co] [Linked Image from i.ibb.co] [Linked Image from i.ibb.co] [Linked Image from i.ibb.co] [Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

How old are they? Look like they were hammered on with a impact gun a few times too many.

Doesn't surprise me. My OEM Caravan lugs deformed a bit after 3 years. Went and bought a cheap set of lugs from Costco. Quality isn't there for some of these parts. If you wanted quality I'm sure a good set of lug nuts would probably be more than $50 a set.

Go out and spend the &&& for quality aftermarket or OE lugs. Anything safety related in a vehicle, is not a place to skimp on quality. You may save a few bucks with junk parts, but what happens when the lug fails, or strips a stud, are the $3 bucks you saved really worth it? Look up Gorilla the make quality products, just make sure you are using the right lug nut for your rims. Why are you buying a new torque wrench instead of getting it calibrated?

Originally Posted by Gimpy1
Go out and spend the &&& for quality aftermarket or OE lugs. Anything safety related in a vehicle, is not a place to skimp on quality. You may save a few bucks with junk parts, but what happens when the lug fails, or strips a stud, are the $3 bucks you saved really worth it? Look up Gorilla the make quality products, just make sure you are using the right lug nut for your rims. Why are you buying a new torque wrench instead of getting it calibrated?

Those are OE! Made probably in Germany
Never torqued down with impact myself , always torqued by hand ..but now thinking I had some swaps done by tire shops, I'm sure they abused them

I will replace them with same OE from dealer.
, I trust OE quality, I posted this because it was interesting.

Not sending for calibration, because I want to replace clicker with Split Beam

And FYI guys that anodized colar is aluminum... Weak link

Last edited:
I have seen the tire shops pound on impact sockets with a BFH. They were probably rusty but still. They make some special .5mm larger sockets for chrome plated lug nuts that rust under the chrome.

If they were heated they could have lost temper.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have seen the tire shops pound on impact sockets with a BFH. They were probably rusty but still. They make some special .5mm larger sockets for chrome plated lug nuts that rust under the chrome.

If they were heated they could have lost temper.

I would be pretty shocked if they heated them with a torch, there's a hundred ways that could go south, but lug nuts/bolts seem to be a wear item any more, they're too critical to take a chance on them failing.

With a an aluminum seat, I don't think there's anyone to "blame" here, it's just a function of the design. Those are designed to be replaced.

Originally Posted by JOD
With a an aluminum seat, I don't think there's anyone to "blame" here, it's just a function of the design. Those are designed to be replaced.

Exactly !

Originally Posted by Kestas
Is there any chance rust grew on the inside of the collar?

Hi Kestas I mean maybe inside inside but not visible on mating surfaces, I'm in rust belt so it's always possible

Originally Posted by GSCJR
I noticed that today on a Panamera while doing a winter wheel install. Torque spec on those was 133ft/lbs.

Yup this is Porsche as well.... Tomorrow I will have new 20 nuts from dealer, I will eliminate security ones as it's annoying...

OE nuts are actually pretty cheap... Less then 5$ each

I noticed that today on a Panamera while doing a winter wheel install. Torque spec on those was 133ft/lbs.

is that a lot?
whats toyota spec for same weight car?

A couple of years ago I noticed one bad lug-nut when changing from summer to winter set of tires. The next day I went up to local NAPA and had them order replacements for all the lug-nuts on all 4 wheels, and replaced all of them as soon as they came in.

Originally Posted by edwardh1

is that a lot?
whats toyota spec for same weight car?

Most Toyotas spec 75-80 lb ft for their lug nuts
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JC1
How old are they? Look like they were hammered on with a impact gun a few times too many.

This is why I HATE most tire shops, why I usually get tires from Walmart despite the 4-hr wait time, and why I wish DT would open some stores in the northeast: because they seem to be the ONLY places that don't zip it down with an air gun and strip lug nuts/studs/bolts
mad.gif

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
A couple of years ago I noticed one bad lug-nut when changing from summer to winter set of tires. The next day I went up to local NAPA and had them order replacements for all the lug-nuts on all 4 wheels, and replaced all of them as soon as they came in.

Yup car is parked waiting for all new bolts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back