Skyactiv 2.5L GDI; RP 0w-20 20k; LiquiMoly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've mostly lurked and learned quite abit about motor oil since coming to this site and just wanted to contribute something--as well as get some feedback regarding my oil analysis results from Blackstone. I am not endorsing any product over another, just looking for feedback.

Vehicle: 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2.5L GDI
Mileage: 126,000
Vehicle Use: Primarliy highway miles; 200 miles daily
OCI: 20,000 miles
Oil used: Royal Purple 0w20
Additive used: LiquiMoly
Filter: Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter
Oil analysis lab: Blackstone

Thanks

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 179
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing. Goes to show just how easy highway driving is on oil.

What liquimoly additive did you use? There is probably no need to use it. You could save some more money and just go with a major brand full synthetic especially one with a rebate or on clearance.

Nice results. Skyactiv may be underpowered, but it's a solid engine. Does RP have Ti in it?

Looks like a small amount (not full dose) of liquimoly MOS2 was used.
And Royal Purple looks like Valvoline synthetic with the titanium in it. (About 3 years ago or so, Royal Purple copied Valvoline's sodium based system too.)

For 20,000 miles, I'd use M1 Annual Protection and a Fram Ultra 20,000 mile oil filter with wire backing and better filtering efficiency and capacity.

Just the oil additive (MOS2). I've been using it for a while with Supertech 0W20 synthetic, so I guess the plating effect of the moly should be all over the engine a this point. I did it to increase the moly content since RP is known to already have it, but I remember reading that RP has removed the moly in favor of ZDDP. Is this true?

I am considering going to Redline or some other high moly oil to get me to the magic 25,000 mile OCI, which would equate to 2 oil changes per year. Most GDI engines are known to be a little on the noisy size, but the engine was so quiet at idle that I had to check to make sure the engine was still running. This occurred after the RP and liquimoly combo. Do you think the Supertech would make it to 25,000 miles? It's a bargain compared to the bootique oils.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing. keep doing, what you're doing. hope to see you hit 25,000 OCIs

solid engine!

I heard the Mobil 1 AP is engineered to thicken as it degrades. That's the only thing keeping me from trying it--and the price.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I don't think any oil is engineered to thicken. It's just a fact that they all eventually will.

You could probably run M1 EP for 25k miles. Pair it with a Fram Ultra filter. You could probably run the filter 50k miles.

Great UOA. Another data point supporting the cleanliness of GDI technoloogy and a match made in heaven with long drain intervals. Especially to protect those intake valves from deposits due to recirculated oil vapors that are more prominent with virgin motor oils.

Originally Posted by thegameq
I heard the Mobil 1 AP is engineered to thicken as it degrades. That's the only thing keeping me from trying it--and the price.
grin2.gif

Not true.

[Linked Image]

That is a excellent report and considering the miles on the oil the fuel dilution is not a worry point.

Did you add a whole can of LM moly?

I'm not familiar with RP oil but if they have decreased moly it's likely because they switched to the tri nuclear form which requires less to achieve the same result.

Thanks for sharing this.

Coincidentally, I've put full bottle of LM 2009 in each and both my cars 2 weeks ago when doing oil changes, same day on both.
Sportage's gas mileage improved from 9.2L/100km to 8.4L/100km since, Forte went from 7.8L/100km to 7.6L/100km.
I was extremely skeptical on better gas mileage claim from LM but it seems to work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Report...….
In the comments section of the report where they discuss the Metal content in the oil, it states : "maybe your modifications are to Thank....."
What modifications are they referencing ?

That's a fabulous UOA!

TBN still at 4.3
Trace dilution (negligible)
0W20

Dnewton will love to see this.

Originally Posted by thegameq
grin2.gif

All oil eventually oxidizes and thickens. Its only a matter of how long it can hold out. Some last longer than others.
If you are price sensitive, and you consider the $38 5-quart Annual Protection price too high (walmart price), then there are other alternatives. I would take M1 Extended Protection up to 15,000 miles in highway driving, cheaper than M1 Annual.
Also there is Castrol gold jug which is ten bucks cheaper than Mobil 1 AP per 5 quart jug, good for 20,000 miles and also passes the tough Mercedes 0w20 performance tests as a stamp of approval.

I think you are right about the 25,000 miles on Mobil1 EP. I have gone over 22,000 miles om the mobil1 EP 5w-30 in my 2008 Toyota sienna van. I used the Fram Ultra oil filter. The van has 330,000 plus ,miles on it by now and I have been doing this for years with no ill effects. Thank You, Bill

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Thanks for the Report...….
In the comments section of the report where they discuss the Metal content in the oil, it states : "maybe your modifications are to Thank....."
What modifications are they referencing ?

Same question.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by paoester
Also there is Castrol gold jug...good for 20,000 miles and also passes the tough Mercedes 0w20 performance tests as a stamp of approval.

Which Mercedes stamp of approval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back