Fram cartridge filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the consensus here that the fram ultra cartridge filters are no good? Something about fitment issue and turning to mush?

F065E9A8-6DC0-4B1E-96AA-401627286427.jpeg

3BE60CCD-4591-4E05-9A8E-AC972E20E3E7.jpeg

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
The Ultra's are wire backed. They will hold up just fine.

Some of the Fram cartridges have a plastic mesh backing. I've never cut mine, but others here say that plastic mesh is a bugger to cut open. I haven't compared the length of the Fram to the Wix or Mopar, but I think the Fram might be a little longer. The Ultra I used on the Caravan was a bit more wavy than the other filters.

That Ultra cartridge looks like a darn good filter to me. Seems to me the Ultra can filters are considered one of the best. Why not the cartridge also? I'd use it anytime in my Ecotec.
I've used Bosch and Wix which did not crush. Have not used an Ultra, mainly due to cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tc1446
That Ultra cartridge looks like a darn good filter to me. Seems to me the Ultra can filters are considered one of the best. Why not the cartridge also? I'd use it anytime in my Ecotec.
I've used Bosch and Wix which did not crush. Have not used an Ultra, mainly due to cost.

I agree. I've been using them for two OCI on the Van and for the Civic I'm going to run the Ultra for 2 years then cut it open. I've found that the oil stays much cleaner with these filters. After 4000 miles on the Caravan the oil is still an amber color. On the Mopar or Wix the oil would be black after 1500-2000 miles.

I've changed my OCI habits and am using a cheaper oil VWB or Vavoline synthetic at shorter intervals than I did with PP.

Originally Posted by nickaluch
I been using AC Delco on my ecotec all the others crush.

Try the Purflux L264A
smile.gif

Purflux used to be GM's OE supplier for that ACDelco cartridge. It features those chevron pleats

I have seen more Fram cartridge filters gone awry than any other. I am a huge Fram can filter fan but if I am getting a cartridge filter it will likely be Mann or Mahle.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I have seen more Fram cartridge filters gone awry than any other. ...
No such problems with the Chinese Fram ToughGuard 10358 cartridge I recently removed with >25k. (Not with the Toyota or Purolator L16311 filters used previously, either ... )

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Try the Purflux L264A :)Purflux used to be GM's OE supplier for that ACDelco cartridge. It features those chevron pleats
oo la la:

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Try the Purflux L264A :)Purflux used to be GM's OE supplier for that ACDelco cartridge. It features those chevron pleats
oo la la:

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

If there was such a thing as a good looking filter that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back