New label on Castrol edge at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walked into Walmart yesterday and saw some new bottles of Castrol edge with a different label on the front. They claim for low and higher mileage engines. Is Castrol trying to Consolidate the Edge HM and Edge meaning all of their oils are now the Edge HM equivalent?

It seems like Valvoline has been pushing for this too.

20191111_203801.jpg

Could be HM and regular are merging. Rotella Gas Truck does the same thing (calling it All-Mileage). They have to (or want to) meet SN, dexos1, and ACEA requirements, which include elastomer tests that have to hit a range, making extra seal sweller difficult to do and stay inside the limit.

New bottle, same oil inside.
The test results they boast do sound very good:

castroledgeclaims.jpg

I think it's genius. It puts the average consumer's mind at ease whether they can use it or not.

Interesting... they just redesigned the label like a year ago when they went from SN to SN Plus, although the non-SN-Plus viscosity grades still have the old label. Now they're changing it again? Same thing with Valvoline - they've done like three label redesigns in the last year or two.

Maybe they looked at what Pennzoil is doing and seen how ridiculous it is and decided to do the opposite. Less chin scratching for sure.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Maybe they looked at what Pennzoil is doing and seen how ridiculous it is and decided to do the opposite. Less chin scratching for sure.
So true. Marketing is a battle for shelf space. Pennzoil has multiple labels on non-Platinum, non-Ultra, full syn varieties that Walmart & the autoparts stores may cry foul about because they only have so much shelf area.

Believe it or not, a big factor in this change might be due to what's mentioned in the thread title - Walmart. Available shelf space, just mentioned ^ above ^, is a huge thing with Walmart and vendors who want to sell at Walmart. With Castrol oil alone, I've noticed less and less Magnatec on the shelf at the nearby store, being replaced by Edge. It's routinely available for $22-23 too which is what Magnatec used to be.

EDGE is a great oil. Still surprised it's taking them so long to get EDGE EP D1/G2 approved. The only long drain oil to actually meet D1/G2 is Mobil 1 AP and EP. Amsoil SS does not due SA levels exceeding what is required by the dexos spec.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Believe it or not, a big factor in this change might be due to what's mentioned in the thread title - Walmart. Available shelf space, just mentioned ^ above ^, is a huge thing with Walmart and vendors who want to sell at Walmart. With Castrol oil alone, I've noticed less and less Magnatec on the shelf at the nearby store, being replaced by Edge. It's routinely available for $22-23 too which is what Magnatec used to be.

Two excellent points.

EDIT: including paoester's as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
So does it have a reduced amount of seal conditioners compared to a traditional HM? Aren't these undesirable for low mileage engines?

Fixed it for you. And the answer is no, it is not undesirable; MolaKule even previously weighed in on HM vs non-HM and said you may actually be better off with HM because of the increased antioxidants even on a brand new engine.

Castrol makes good oils in their Edge/Edge EP line.

Considering that Shell was just named top lubricant seller in volume for the 13th year in a row, I'd take that to mean if they're doing the opposite they're going in the wrong direction.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Maybe HM oils are becoming irrelevant?

Or possibly due to new technology HM oils are becoming the better option? Valvoline indicates their HM oil is superior in every way on the back of their bottles as compared to non HM.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
So does it have a reduced amount of seal conditioners compared to a traditional HM? Aren't these undesirable for low mileage engines?

Fixed it for you. And the answer is no, it is not undesirable; MolaKule even previously weighed in on HM vs non-HM and said you may actually be better off with HM because of the increased antioxidants even on a brand new engine.

Castrol makes good oils in their Edge/Edge EP line.

Or is it possible they are using the same amount as the HM? They could be using somewhere in the middle.

Originally Posted by wemay
I think it's genius. It puts the average consumer's mind at ease whether they can use it or not.

Agreed. For myself, I have pretty much resolved to using an HM oil from day one. No reason not to. Even on a sportier vehicle. With the possibility of reducing the chances of oil burn, I see no negatives unless wear is that much worse. I believe most people would save more money not having to top off oil ever 1000 miles rather than your engine dying at 350k miles instead of 360k miles.

Maybe now they can sell gold bottle Edge EP at the auto parts store I work at? Would be nice to have some competition to M1 EP on the shelf!

The 10X and the golden honey colored oil splashing through the silver spinning things is all I care about. That new bottle is sexy!

Originally Posted by paoester
Could be HM and regular are merging. Rotella Gas Truck does the same thing (calling it All-Mileage).

This is a trend Shell started and I predict that their lead will be one most end up following because it saves money in production costs and saves the customer the anxiety of having to decide between multiple, often seemingly redundant, choices.

Originally Posted by paoester
Marketing department employees smoke funny weed and come up with this stuff.

And those are the employees most likely going to jiffy lube with groupons for their ten dollar oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back