2010 BMW X5 35d M57 Twin Turbo Diesel 10kmi Delvac 1300 Super 15w40

2010 BMW X5 Xdrive35d twin turbo diesel.
All emissions equipment deleted, about 380hp and 550lb ft with tune. 210,000 on vehicle, 10,000 on Mobil Delvac 15w40 and a Hengst filter.
Driving was done over the past year in Las Vegas, a mix of city and highway. About a quart of make up oil was added over the interval.

I experimented with a couple different cone air filters during this interval and had the intake opened up multiple times, which could explain the silicon reading.
Also have had a consistent minor loss of coolant for the past 20kmi with no obvious external leak, which could explain the sodium.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gubkin
CK-4 ?

BMW X5 35d or 3.0D ?

It's the BMW M57 3 liter with sequential turbos (1 small + 1 large).

OP: Nice report. Coolant leak could be the head gasket.

Q for OP: Original injectors?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Gubkin said:
CK-4 ?

I've owned the vehicle from 189kmi to now at 210kmi. Nearly every other part I've serviced has been original, and when I pulled the injectors to replace the valve cover gasket they all looked pretty much the same age. So I would assume yes.

Part of my reason for the UOA was to see if maybe I have a leaking injector which could be causing slightly lower than expected MPG. Based on fuel dilution that doesn't seem to be the case.

Originally Posted by heynow
Gubkin said:
CK-4 ?

I've owned the vehicle from 189kmi to now at 210kmi. Nearly every other part I've serviced has been original, and when I pulled the injectors to replace the valve cover gasket they all looked pretty much the same age. So I would assume yes.

Part of my reason for the UOA was to see if maybe I have a leaking injector which could be causing slightly lower than expected MPG. Based on fuel dilution that doesn't seem to be the case.

Perhaps the mpg drop is due to the "winter blend" of diesel? Depending on the pre-EGR delete mileage the intake tract could have soot buildup. The X5 had a low and high pressure EGR so the intake didn't accumulate soot as quickly as the 335d which only had a high pressure EGR but at your mileage it might need carbon blasting.
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by heynow
Gubkin said:
CK-4 ?

Perhaps the mpg drop is due to the "winter blend" of diesel? Depending on the pre-EGR delete mileage the intake tract could have soot buildup. The X5 had a low and high pressure EGR so the intake didn't accumulate soot as quickly as the 335d which only had a high pressure EGR but at your mileage it might need carbon blasting.
21.gif

I did all the standard maintenance when I bought the car,
Intake manifold cleaning
Valve cover gasket
Intake manifold gaskets
Thermostat
Fuel filter

Avg mpg went up from 18 to about 20 after the tune and deletes. I'm just shocked to hear some people say they get 30mpg in their X5. I supposed my heavy 20 inch wheels, 40 weight oil, and "spirited" driving don't really help much either.

Do you get winter blend in nevada? Other than that the report looks great. Its very typical for BMWs to use coolant in between intervals, most need a top off when they come through.

Originally Posted by Audios
Do you get winter blend in nevada? Other than that the report looks great. Its very typical for BMWs to use coolant in between intervals, most need a top off when they come through.

Not sure if we get a winter blend or not. My fuel mileage stays pretty consistent throughout the year though.

Did you delete the EGR with just programming or physically remove it? I've seen many EGR systems deleted with tuning that keeps the valve asleep if you will, but leaves the EGR cooler in place and can still leak coolant from O- rings in to the motor.

Originally Posted by jayg
Did you delete the EGR with just programming or physically remove it? I've seen many EGR systems deleted with tuning that keeps the valve asleep if you will, but leaves the EGR cooler in place and can still leak coolant from O- rings in to the motor.

Both EGR systems and coolers totally removed.

Is there any reason why you did not use a full synthetic?
I have been trying to search online if a full EGR delete helps with keeping the crankcase slightly cleaner in terms of soot. Intuitively less soot = better in the long run due to fewer contaminants etc.

Is there any reason why you did not use a full synthetic?
I have been trying to search online if a full EGR delete helps with keeping the crankcase slightly cleaner in terms of soot. Intuitively less soot = better in the long run due to fewer contaminants etc.
in short yes it does. EGR just recycles exhaust through the inner cooler and back into the intake. The OP's car is like the old style diesel with just clean air and fuel in the intake, no more exhaust gases. The crankcase soot comes mostly from blow by in a high compression diesel, so less crap in the intake should mean less crap in the oil. You will still see fuel and soot in the crank case but it should be less IMO.

Just my $0.02

Back