Garage door lack of signal/reception issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed a RYOBI 2hp garage door opener in my detached all metal workshop.

I love the opener and have an awesome 30ft extension cord attachment. With that said, my outside key pad doesn't work and I need to be 5 feet away from the door for an opener (clicker) to work....

Do I have any options to increase the range of this unit? I didn't think signal would be this poor......

Are there any LED's near the key pad or garage door opener? I had a wonky led that was giving off interference if it was on.

After spending a few summers while in school helping repair or install garage door openers, the only opener I would go with is Chamberlain.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem. I poked a hole in the ceiling of the garage and pushed a pice of really stiff steel wire through the hole. I attached the wire with a screw to the ceiling and attached the antenna wire to it. Works great now. (Problem is trying to get a signal through a metal garage door, this puts the antenna above the metal).

Originally Posted by redbone3
I had a similar problem. I poked a hole in the ceiling of the garage and pushed a pice of really stiff steel wire through the hole. I attached the wire with a screw to the ceiling and attached the antenna wire to it. Works great now. (Problem is trying to get a signal through a metal garage door, this puts the antenna above the metal).

So you basically made the whole building the antenna!

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Are there any LED's near the key pad or garage door opener? I had a wonky led that was giving off interference if it was on.

I have 6, 4 ft LED shop lights directly overhead.....

Reading through some reviews online it looks like Ryobi might be able to send you a larger antenna if you contact them, worth a try.

I would read over the Owners Manual again looking for solutions.

Try some of the suggestions others have listed here.

Then, call Ryobi's Customer Service.

Last edited:
As crazy as it sounds I had an HD TV antenna with a booster in my barn that would mess with the opener. I moved it to the back of the barn.

Originally Posted by 64bawagon
As crazy as it sounds I had an HD TV antenna with a booster in my barn that would mess with the opener. I moved it to the back of the barn.

I had a 'dimmer' Light Switch in Dining Room that would interfere with (over-air signal) TV in Living Room.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back