Colorado updated traction law for I-70 and messes it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that a lot of people are driving on tires with fewer than 6/32" (3/16") tread.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
How do they enforce this specifically with out-of-state drivers ? The law should include wording like "vehicles registered in the state of CO". That's how Ohio has the wording for window tint, for example. While the police might not like 5% tint on a vehicle with Florida plates, they can't cite them for breaking Ohio's law (limited to 35%).

Why would someone be exempt if they are out of state? I guess they will get same ticket.

Right...for example, how does this sound: "You can't ticket me for speeding officer, because my vehicle is not registered in the state."

Originally Posted by JLTD

Right...for example, how does this sound: "You can't ticket me for speeding officer, because my vehicle is not registered in the state."

There's likely reciprocity of acceptance that speed limits are an established and necessary thing in every jurisdiction. it's also established everywhere that they are variable based upon a wide variety of conditions and traffic patterns.

Other stuff isn't as universally relevant, and/or lack an objective standard that is broadly encompassing.

Apples vs. oranges.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
There's likely reciprocity of acceptance that speed limits are an established and necessary thing in every jurisdiction.

Once upon a time, if a resident of one state got a fine in another, they had no way to collect it beyond pain of arrest if the out-of-stater ever returned and was caught. I doubt this is still true anywhere, and definitely not for commercial drivers who now have what's essentially a federal license.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Yeah, there is a big difference having bald tires in ice and not having front license plate. CO laws require front plate, yet I see numerous cars without one.
Wait until you see our friends from Missouri coming down I-70. In a dually diesel F-250 doing 90MPH with a John Deere license plate in the rear. Missouri lets farm trucks put them in the front only for some reason. I think they are suppose to have a trailer but never do.

Many states are like that for apportioned truck plates...if the vehicle is used for towing, it goes on the front.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Saying most of the problems are caused by certain vehicles is not the same as saying all of those vehicles cause problems.

Sure. But what is really frightening is rent-a-car SUV that weighs 6,000lbs barreling down I70 on Ling Long all season tires.

You only make arguments to serve your narrow worldview. This just doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted by Treadstone
There is a big difference between 3PMS and M+S...whoever wrote that is ignorant.

Unfortunately, most consumers don't know the difference either ... and it is kind of hard to blame them, when the " S " in the M + S designation actually stands for SNOW.

WHY ? the DOT allows this tire labelling is a question that needs to be answered. I can't think of a more MISLEADING product label out there ... on an automotive part that is absolutely critical to motorist safety.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Saying most of the problems are caused by certain vehicles is not the same as saying all of those vehicles cause problems.

Sure. But what is really frightening is rent-a-car SUV that weighs 6,000lbs barreling down I70 on Ling Long all season tires.

You only make arguments to serve your narrow worldview. This just doesn't make sense.

You are just realizing that now?

Originally Posted by dave1251

Yeah. Come during snow storm on I70 and pay attention on accidents and vehicles involved. If it is not semi that is blocking traffic bcs. driver thought he can outrun storm and avoid putting chains, first suspect after that will be rent-a-car driver with Tahoe, Escalade, etc. People think the bigger SUV the better chances they have during snow storms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Do they make snow tires for motorcycles?

Yes, the Anlas winter grip plus comes in actual motorcycle sizes, as opposed to scooter only sizes. That being said, I don't think they are sold in the U.S., so would need to be imported.

Originally Posted by geeman789
I recently had a conversation with a co-worker about winter tires. Who drives an AWD SUV . Who DOES NOT need winter tires, well, because his SUV is all wheel drive. And, he was kind enough to point out that the " S " in the M+S designation on all season tires ACTUALLY stands for SNOW.

I pointed out to him that awd DOES get you moving quite well, but does NOTHING when you try and stop or turn ... only the tires stop or turn. And that the M+S designation means only that the tires have a tread pattern that meets a broad specification regarding tread to void ratio. NOT that the tires are actually GOOD in snow. His eyes glazed over ...

Take him for a ride in the snow, or challenge him to a 0-20-0 in the snow, that should help change his mind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Daschicken

Yes, the Anlas winter grip plus comes in actual motorcycle sizes, as opposed to scooter only sizes. That being said, I don't think they are sold in the U.S., so would need to be imported.

I rarely see motorcycles on the road in the winter and I don't think I've ever seen one with snow on the road.

I rarely see motorcycles on the road in the winter and I don't think I've ever seen one with snow on the road.

My fathers 85 gold wing would occasionally see snow.
His 72 Enduro 250 would drive year round also.

Back then my folks had
1 car
2 snowmobiles
2 motor cycles

The car wasn't used much during the fuel crisis

Doesn't Colorado's current traction law already deem those points?

They might not (in fact, probably do not) have DOT stamps for use on US roads.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
How's the weather in Colorado?
Fun for polar bears anyway. Can't believe this is Fall weather.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
How's the weather in Colorado?

A big snow storm is supposed to hit the Denver area soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back