No weights on one rims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I had Cayenne rims re balanced because some weight came off loose.

All 3 rims needed some weights but one didnt need any ?!
Tires are season old, when installed same rim had weights.

I bought them intially at different place where I had them re balanced !

Isn't that strange ?

I will put them on car ... And see if there are any vibrations... Should I put it rear or front ? Thanks

Last edited:
had the same question. Just replaced tires on my '16 pilot and noticed when washed the car that one wheel doesn't have weights on it. kind of surprised me as well but it drives just fine with no vibrations at any speed

I have Toyo KX winter tires on my Subaru. When they were balanced, 3 of the 4 wheels took zero weight.

Wheel / tire assemblies USUALLY take some weight to balance, but needing zero weight is not uncommon at all.

Years ago when I had a set of brand new 17x9 Konig Villian wheels with 275/40/17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires 2 wheels needed no weight and the other 2 needed less than .50oz each. I helped my friend do the mounting and I did the balancing. We paid attention to the marks and where to put the tire on the wheel.

no wieghts on a rim/tire can happen...not a common thing but does happen at times

It's just weird that initial balance needed weights but next season didn't ...well I will put them on and see how it is
Thx guys

Last edited:
Needing no weight is usually either a matter of luck when it's mounted, or the installer going the extra mile to put the heavier side of the tire opposite the heavier part of the wheel by checking balance and dismounting/remounting, or having a machine that can check tire balance separately before 1st mount, which some of the tire sellers online can do.

If it's not a hardship you could just take that wheel somewhere and ask them to balance it, then if it doesn't need weight, it doesn't.

Last edited:
On wheels that use clamp on weights, the factory will often put a thin sheet metal type " weight ... " on the wheel. It weighs almost nothing, but it is used to show that, yes, the wheel was actually balanced, but required zero weight.

As a tech it was not uncommon for me to have 2 tires out of a set require no added weights on a factory wheel. I always aligned the yellow dot(if the tire was marked) to the valve stem on install. Usually a good brand of tire, in a passenger car size on a factory wheel. I don't know that I ever had one take no weights on LT tires.

Originally Posted by cb_13
As a tech it was not uncommon for me to have 2 tires out of a set require no added weights on a factory wheel. I always aligned the yellow dot(if the tire was marked) to the valve stem on install. Usually a good brand of tire, in a passenger car size on a factory wheel. I don't know that I ever had one take no weights on LT tires.

Interesting. I never knew that.

Plus the Rotor and Rim were balanced (to within some tolerance) when manufactured.

Had one tire and wheel Hunter Force matched with no weights. I questioned the Indy but it rides on the highway without vibration. It was my 1st tire.

Just purchased a set of Hankook tires for my KIA. (Great tires by the way). Two of the rims did not require any weight whatsoever. I thought perhaps the technician forgot to balance but when I inquired, he said they were in perfect balance. So far, no issues and drives like a dream. Weird for sure... But perhaps the new manufacturing has really improved quality control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back