Are you a collector of anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly tools but since I was a technician for a living for many years, I can justify those as work related.

Guns, maybe but most I own are ones I actually use for recreational shooting or hunting.

So that leaves old Spider-Man comic books. I buy those for no reason other than collecting. I don't even think I'll make money off of the valuable ones I own as I'll never sell them. My wife or kids will likely give them away at a yard sale after I die.

guns and speakers...

I won't share how many guns I have, but if I count individual speaker drivers I have around 80 drivers in my listening room, and well into the 100's if I count all the drivers in my house ;-)

Antique radios, about 15 of them. Oldest is a 1921 Westinghouse Aeriola Senior. My favorite is my 1936 Zenith 10S153 console. Zenith made some very impressive console radios in the 1930s, and while this isn't one of the fancier ones it's still a well built and good sounding radio. Most of my collection have worked since I've owned them, although there are a few that I know need some repairs first. Some of the working ones have stopped working and need some more repairs. Strangely, most of the repairs are having to replace aging components like capacitors and resistors, wires that have lost their insulation, contacts that need cleaning, and an output transformer that failed. I don't think I've had a tube burn out yet on any of them (knock on wood).

Not into collecting anything. Have more than enough of everything I need.

Records. I have several thousand pieces. All mid to late 1960s garage/psych rock. All original pressings. Lps and 45s.

+1s to Dave, Chris, and aquariuscsm!

I collect old oil signs. Unfortunately, the AUTHENTIC ones cost a fortune.

Originally Posted by dkryan
I collect old oil signs. Unfortunately, the AUTHENTIC ones cost a fortune.

Why do people pay that much for rusty beat up ones when new repos are so cheap? I can't imagine a wife would allow you to hang it in the living room.

Well, there are a lot of "rusty beat up ones" out there, mostly on e-bay, and mostly fakes.

And yes, I do purchase reproduction porcelain signs from Vintage Concepts in lieu of the $6,500 signs I don't want to invest in.

But, it's like any other collection in that you find something that holds your interest and quite possibly it also holds its value.

As far as hanging old oil signs in the living room, uh no. They look great on the walls of the garage. Though those same signs in my office would look 1,000 times better than a hoard of boxes. ...

I've bought die-cast cars, trucks, motorcycles, planes, etc over the last 20 years. Probably spend only around $75 a year, and only buy stuff I find attractive like 60s and 70s muscle cars, and modetn sports cars and exotics. Some older stuff I spent a $1 for is selling for around $80 on eBay. Biggest downfall is probabky trying to sell it all off someday. I'd probably end up with a big stack of boxes in my house, lol.

Ford Ranger/Explorer parts...nothing big like engines or transmissions, but lots of smaller parts. Sensors, rubber pieces, trim, gaskets/seals, door handles, coolant/washer reservoirs, etc.

I also have some brochures and sales literature, mostly for domestic trucks from the 1980s-1990s. I haven't bought any in years though.

I used to collect diecast cars and dealer promos and still have a fair amount, mostly 1970s-2000s domestic trucks. I like odd ball stuff and have things like a 1975 Chevy C60 flatbed (apparently now worth a few hundred thanks to the farm collectible crowd), AutoArt Grand Wagoneer, Franklin Mint 1996 F-150, Premium X 1989 Bronco II, First Gear Dodge Ram Van, etc. Like brochures, my collecting of them has dropped off and I haven't bought any in years. Might start selling some of it, especially since some of it seems to be worth a lot more to other people now.

Don't collect anything per se- but my wife and I travel extensively, and try to buy one little item from each place we visit.

I'm building up a collection of knives and flashlights.

Here is my favorite knife so far. Ka-Bar BK7
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back