Cant get the "D" light to stop blinking on my 2004 CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 CRV 2wd 145k

About 6 months ago, the D light started randomly blinking while driving. It starts about 5 mins into a trip, and continues until the car is turned off. The tranny still shifts perfectly. Since then, Ive done a drain and fill with Honda fluid and 3rd clutch pressure switch. The fluid is acceptable level according to dipstick. At this point, Im thinking the $120 diagnostic at dealer is inevitable.

Meant this a a reply to above post from BillT**

Not sure. My interweb searches came up with low fluid and 2nd and 3rd pressure switches as culprits. Usually there is a code though with the pressure switches.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by N Heat
Ive only had it checked at Auto Zone...no codes.
They can only pull error codes from the ECM (engine control module). You need to find someone who can pull error codes from the TCM (transmission control module).

How about replacing the on line filter that sits just below the radiator and just above the sub frame.

You do need a special scanner that can read the trans codes.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
How about replacing the on line filter that sits just below the radiator and just above the sub frame.

You do need a special scanner that can read the trans codes.

Is that filter a thing on the 2wd? The only filters I can find is AWD or needs tranny disassembly for changing.

Originally Posted by wag123
They can only pull error codes from the ECM (engine control module). You need to find someone who can pull error codes from the TCM (transmission control module).

I thought they'd have those integrated by 2004
crazy2.gif

Don't most modern automatic cars have the engine and transmission using the same computer?

Transmission codes would show up on OBDII as P07xx

A reputable shop with a scan tool?

2004 CRV 2wd 145k

About 6 months ago, the D light started randomly blinking while driving. It starts about 5 mins into a trip, and continues until the car is turned off. The tranny still shifts perfectly. Since then, Ive done a drain and fill with Honda fluid and 3rd clutch pressure switch. The fluid is acceptable level according to dipstick. At this point, Im thinking the $120 diagnostic at dealer is inevitable.

Probably VARNISH on solenoids or valves... here's what I did and the flashing 'D' never came back:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...onda-5-speed-automatic-trans#Post5252440

Chances are your ATF fluid is tired and worn out, and you never mentioned its service history or mileage.

You could also try Lubegard Red, as it also has some cleaning action.

The filter is inline filter that is on one of the lines going to trans cooler in the radiator.

Just do a quick google search to find it, very easy to replace just 2 clips.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I thought they'd have those integrated by 2004.

Don't most modern automatic cars have the engine and transmission using the same computer?

Transmission codes would show up on OBDII as P07xx

That is correct. We have a '99 Accord and my inexpensive ODBII adapter and Torque Pro can give me transmission codes.

About 6 months ago, the D light started randomly blinking while driving ... 3rd clutch pressure switch.

Why did you replace that switch ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
About 6 months ago, the D light started randomly blinking while driving ... 3rd clutch pressure switch.

Why did you replace that switch ?

It appeared to be the leading cause of the flashing D according to my internet research. I figured for $20 and 15 mins it was worth a shot.

Their reader likely won't do trans or body codes. You need to take it to a shop that can read those codes.

The filter is inline filter that is on one of the lines going to trans cooler in the radiator.

I located the filter. assume not much fluid will dump out with the car turned off?

I located the filter. assume not much fluid will dump out with the car turned off?

Nope, hardly any. I changed mine about a month ago.

Get the codes read (properly) before you keep trying random fixes. Hondas will tell you if it's a pressure switch, and which one, or other parts that are not operating properly.

Get the codes read (properly) before you keep trying random fixes. Hondas will tell you if it's a pressure switch, and which one, or other parts that are not operating properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back