I Found The Perfect Garage Door Oil

This stuff is thicker than snot, and clings like crazy to anything and everything it touches. I used a syringe to get into the rollers and bearings. And it's just runny enough to get in between the coils of the springs, but not drip off.

I gave the track on the opener a good even coat of it for it's entire length. I hit all of the hinges with it as well. It will quiet down a noisy garage door faster than slapping a screaming kid in a shopping mall. It really made a difference! My double door was much noisier than my single door. After I lubed it with this stuff it was all but silent in comparison.

I got the idea about this stuff from a guy I saw on a You Tube video, who was a live steam model railroader. He said it was the only oil he could find that would stay put on all the running gear and bearings. And not drip or fly off.

Now I'm going around the house trying to figure out what else I can use this stuff on. Out here in the Summer, things that are exposed to direct sunlight can get so hot you can't touch it. This stuff should work better in locks and hinges than the other oils I've been using. Good stuff all the way around.

[Linked Image]

On a garage door? No thanks. A silicone spray or white lithium grease should always be used on garage doors. 3 in 1 makes a good lube, as do a couple other companies. For springs I use a dry lube.

The people who fix garage doors for a living use PB Blaster garage door lubricant.

Chainsaw bar oil has a tacky component so it will not fly off the spline. Mercruiser makes a spline grease with a tacky component to it will not get flung off a spline.

Nothing on a garage door goes vary fast however.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
On a garage door? No thanks. A silicone spray or white lithium grease should always be used on garage doors. 3 in 1 makes a good lube, as do a couple other companies. For springs I use a dry lube.

I've used them all. The problem out here is they don't last. Silicone on a sliding glass door out here in the Summer needs reapplication every week or so. Or it's like you never lubed it. It gets to be a PITA. I've used heavier weight oils, and they seem to work better. This is by far the heaviest I've found yet. We'll see how it lasts.

The problem with grease is it doesn't get into places it needs to. A heavy weight oil takes some time, but eventually it creeps in, and is thick enough not to drip or run out.

How is this different from a 00 grease?

Seems that might be a good option if looking for something like this...

That is the same oil I used in my 1929 Model A Ford. Protected the gears very well but was a PITA to shift it when cold outside. Good stuff!!

Originally Posted by JHZR2
How is this different from a 00 grease? Seems that might be a good option if looking for something like this...

Here is a pretty good video of some high viscosity lubes. At 3:30 in the video he shows some 600W oil. It is very similar, (almost identical), to what I have. It's the stuff in the cut off, green ginger ale can.

sounds good except... what do you oil on a garage door?

the tracks are supposed to be clean and dry.. The rollers if they arent rolling are easily replaced...

That leaves the chain or screw?

if its for squeaks you want a lube that doesnt attract dirt... such as pb blaster garage door lube

Originally Posted by Bebop367
I not tried that. I found Fluid Film to be best I have used. Last forever it seems.

Thats been working great for me. I think I sprayed the various hinges and rollers about 4 years ago last.

Originally Posted by billt460

I've used them all. The problem out here is they don't last. Silicone on a sliding glass door out here in the Summer needs reapplication every week or so. Or it's like you never lubed it. It gets to be a PITA. I've used heavier weight oils, and they seem to work better. This is by far the heaviest I've found yet. We'll see how it lasts.

The problem with grease is it doesn't get into places it needs to. A heavy weight oil takes some time, but eventually it creeps in, and is thick enough not to drip or run out.

The heavy lubricants attract dust and dirt, which will eventually degrade bearings, rollers, springs and hinges. And in northern climates you are doing nothing more than putting added pressure on garage door openers trying to overcome the resistance of a heavy oil or grease when it's below freezing. Any idiot with a lick of common sense would understand that.

There is a reason why the folks that are in the garage door business don't use heavy oils or grease. It's bad advice.

......... And in northern climates you are doing nothing more than putting added pressure on garage door openers trying to overcome the resistance of a heavy oil or grease when it's below freezing. Any idiot with a lick of common sense would understand that.

I don't live there. (Any idiot could see that by looking underneath the posters name). I don't worry about climates that don't effect where I live. It's going to be 7 degrees this morning in Chicago. Should I dress warm?

Look, it's not like I haven't tried silicone and the rest of that spray on crap, "the professionals" use. It's as I said, it doesn't last. And it works marginally, and only for a short time when it is applied.

Any lubricant attracts dust and dirt. Silicone doesn't because it's gone not long after it's applied. This stuff stays where it's put, and works well. It doesn't add any resistance to the operation of the door itself. I can disengage the opener, and move it up and down with 2 fingers. Now it operates much quieter and smoother. Use what you want. I don't care.

Originally Posted by buck91
Originally Posted by Bebop367
I not tried that. I found Fluid Film to be best I have used. Last forever it seems.

Thats been working great for me. I think I sprayed the various hinges and rollers about 4 years ago last.

This is similar, although it's more of a very heavy oil, and not a spray on grease. It's about the consistency of thick maple syrup. It has a tendency to cling to whatever it's applied to. As I mentioned, I used a small plastic syringe to get it into the ball bearings on all the rollers and into the hinges. That way you can easily control the amount you apply, and get just the right amount on.

It's just thick enough to where it won't drip off the opener track or the springs. It's unbelievable how much it quieted the doors down when opening and closing. All you hear now is the motor on the opener.

I used it on both of my sliding glass doors, and my wife can open and close both of them with 2 fingers. With that spray on Silicone crap, they would work the same........ For a couple of days. And attracted as much or more dirt as any oil or grease if they were used over time.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
How is this different from a 00 grease? Seems that might be a good option if looking for something like this...

Here is a pretty good video of some high viscosity lubes. At 3:30 in the video he shows some 600W oil. It is very similar, (almost identical), to what I have. It's the stuff in the cut off, green ginger ale can.

Thanks.

For reference, 0 grease looks like this:

While 00 more like the 600W (note there are at least four viscosities, as he states in your linked video around 3:47, so it seems that the 600W designation may not mean much).

I'm interested in 00 grease because I have it on hand.

I would say comparing 600W to 00 "Grease" is like comparing honey to molasses. That's not very scientific, but I doubt there is enough difference to matter much in general applications like we're discussing. (Garage door lubrication and the like). And like the guy said in the video I posted, he has formulated 4 different viscosities of 600W oil. How can you have different viscosities, (thicknesses), and have all of them the same weight?

I'd like to know how they came up with the 600W number to describe this stuff? Is it 10 times thicker than 60W? Or 6+ times thicker than 90W gear oil? I don't know. All I can say is it's THICK! But I have no idea how they assigned the number designation to it they did.

I would say comparing 600W to 00 "Grease" is like comparing honey to molasses. That's not very scientific, but I doubt there is enough difference to matter much in general applications like we're discussing. (Garage door lubrication and the like). And like the guy said in the video I posted, he has formulated 4 different viscosities of 600W oil. How can you have different viscosities, (thicknesses), and have all of them the same weight?

I'd like to know how they came up with the 600W number to describe this stuff? Is it 10 times thicker than 60W? Or 6+ times thicker than 90W gear oil? I don't know. All I can say is it's THICK! But I have no idea how they assigned the number designation to it they did.

Agree on all counts. Will have to do some cleaning and give it a try.

I was visiting relatives and somehow got grease all over my nice white shirt. Come to find out..... someone greased the track on the garage door and your not supposed to.

The heavy lubricants attract dust and dirt, which will eventually degrade bearings, rollers, springs and hinges. And in northern climates you are doing nothing more than putting added pressure on garage door openers trying to overcome the resistance of a heavy oil or grease when it's below freezing. Any idiot with a lick of common sense would understand that.

False. Unless you live in an extremely dusty area, and leave your garage door open to the point where the inside looks like it, you'll never get enough dust or dirt stuck in the lube to matter. These are slow moving parts and do need lubed to quiet down and ultimately put less strain on the drivetrain. Light oil, dry lube, or silicone won't do much of anything after a few seasons. Really what they will do is allow MORE dust and dirt to get into the bearings and pivot points because they leave substantial gaps.

In northern climates you do not want thicker than 0 grade grease but that's about it, there is not significant resistance from a heavy oil. I have lubed my garage door for many years and found that the idiots are the ones who pretend to know something without trying it.

Then again, you don't need to buy a special viscosity. You can end up with whatever you want by mixing motor oil with grease, thoroughly. I use a small stainless kitchen wisk in a power drill to mix it just thin enough that it will squirt out of my oil can.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Last edited:
Back