People who steal debit card info...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to freeze your credit info for various reasons, but stolen credit card info is not one of them. Its more to protect against identity theft which this is not.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by tshephard
Anyone - don't believe Paypal looks out for YOU!
I've 2 legitimate problems as buyer and they left me hanging with made up excuses - dropped them after ~15 years.

Under what circumstances? In the vast majority of cases, Paypal rules against the seller.

I probably have one of the oldest PP accounts out there, no joke. I signed up when they came out. I've never had a resolution go against me - ever. Guess I'm special.....‚

I've 2 legitimate problems as buyer and they left me hanging with made up excuses - dropped them after ~15 years.

Per my reading, most debit cars have a limit, but it's timed - say $200 IF you call in 24 hrs.
Best credit cards are 0 exclusions and pay me.

My best is Amex 6% on groceries!

Don't know what you've been reading but it wasn't from VISA or MC... because what you wrote bears no resemblance to the actual policies of these 2 companies.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Per my reading, most debit cars have a limit, but it's timed - say $200 IF you call in 24 hrs.
Best credit cards are 0 exclusions and pay me.

My best is Amex 6% on groceries!

I've dealt with Paypal customer service several times and it is absolutely terrible. If you can resolve an issue by using their system it's okay, but if you need actual assistance good luck.

I thought you were SOL when they take your debit card. That's what I was taught so I only use credit cards. Actually it's been a while since someone made a fraudulent purchase. Last time was About a year ago when they bought $400 worth of diesel fuel at a truck stop. The thing about credit cards is you're not actually out the money, it's just on the statement. With the debit card it is out of your bank account and you have to hope they can put it back.

My credit unions keep trying to send me debit cards. I take them back and insist on ATM cards. As stated above, credit cards have protections that debit cards lack. Never have anything with inferior protection that plugs right into your bank account.

I once had my debit info stolen. I had used the card at a gas pump, even though I knew better. It was late, we were far from home, the wife and kids were very tired and grumpy, and the pump wouldn't read my credit card. I just wanted to get the heck out of there, so I thought "screw it" and used the debit card instead. 2 days later my bank calls me and asks if I withdrew $500 from an ATM. Nope, fraud. They put the money back into my account and sent me new cards. I thought that was the end of it until a few weeks later they sent a letter. Apparently they only temporarily credited my account while they investigated, and they would take the money back out if I didn't give them more info, and they wanted a copy of the police report. I never filed a police report...
confused2.gif
So, I went to the police station to file one, showed them the letter, explained the whole thing. They wrote a report to give to the bank, I mailed it, and got to keep my money. I never use my debit card for ANYTHING any more, except for using the ATM.

I started using Samsung Pay on my S8 because it acts like PayPal and adds a second layer of security to terminal transactions. The app generates a digital CC number that is associated with a real CC you link. The app itself doesnt display either of the numbers in full, so there is now way for a cashier, waitress etc. to steal the info.
The drawback is that it may not work in some places.

Apple pay or google pay do the same thing.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
The only place I used this card in the past month was taco bell. I'm thinking the drive thru clerk possibly snapped a photo of my information.

I never pay by credit or debit card unless I have total physical control of the card. If someone wants to run off someplace to charge my card it's a big red flag and I won't allow it to happen.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I've worked at banks, I never use my debit card, credit card always! Debit, you're liable, credit card, it's the banks problem.

Not with my bank issued debit card. It's protected from fraudulent charges the same as the Visa card. Full coverage. This may be a card issuer thing, so anyone with a debit card should read the terms on their issued card.

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I've worked at banks, I never use my debit card, credit card always! Debit, you're liable, credit card, it's the banks problem.

That's not entirely true.. there are federal laws that limit the consumers liability based on how swiftly you report it. In addition, if your card carries either the Visa or MC logo than your liability is potentially reduced to $0 so long as you comply with the requirements of the card issuer for reporting fraud. For example VISA takes the federal law a step further and provides $0 liability as long as you report it in a timely manner. Timely meaning "reasonable" as in when your statement comes out or even sooner the better. People should read and learn their cardholder agreement and issuers fraud protection requirement. Fwiw, i have zero compunctions about using my PayPal issued MC debit card at retail locations. I have transaction alerts set up so I get a text message on my phone whenever the card is used, displaying the merchant name, amount and time/day...so I know in real time if my card has been compromised. If it has been, I can immediately log into my account and turn the card "off" and report it as stolen immediately. My liability will be $0.

(in all instances you can't expect $0 liability if you wait more than a billing cycle to report fraudulent charges. It's YOUR responsibility to check your statement at the close of the billing cycle or when your bank issues your statement, for fraudulent charges)

FTC Consumer Protection Law - Fraud

Last edited:
My Visa card got compromised on-line somehow a few years ago. The Visa department called me the day the crook started buying stuff on-line. So at least Visa monitors card activity and red flags pop-up when strange charges show up.

Since then the bank has incorporated email and text alerts for both Visa and debit cards. Only thing I don't like is the alert on the Visa card might take 2 days to show up. Doesn't help much because a crook can do a lot of charging in 2 days. The debit card alerts are typically within 10-15 minutes of the charge.

I put everything on the credit card, to the tune of about $80,000 to $100,000 a year. I get back 2.5% to 5% back on every transaction so it makes me money.

My cards get compromised about every 6 months or so. No big deal, they always close the account, reverse the charges, and I move on.

My discover card actually got compromised today. A 5 minute phone call, and everything was taken care of. I don't raise my blood pressure or panic any longer. It's just not that big a deal.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
My Visa card got compromised on-line somehow a few years ago. The Visa department called me the day the crook started buying stuff on-line. So at least Visa monitors card activity and red flags pop-up when strange charges show up.

Since then the bank has incorporated email and text alerts for both Visa and debit cards. Only thing I don't like is the alert on the Visa card might take 2 days to show up. Doesn't help much because a crook can do a lot of charging in 2 days. The debit card alerts are typically within 10-15 minutes of the charge.

That's a drag.. and yes, I've also gotten same day calls from both Visa and MC about suspicious activity and it turned out to be me buying something expensive from a website I've never done business with. My purchase alerts literally take seconds, in most cases i haven't even made it out the store before I get the text alert.

Everyone's entitled to their own shopping concerns in re fraud but getting stuck with fraudulent charges is just not one I have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

That's a drag...

My purchase alerts literally take seconds, in most cases i haven't even made it out the store before I get the text alert.

I think I'll contact my bank and ask why they can't make Visa alerts more instantaneous like other banks do. They are pretty good about customer service. Yeah, a 2 day lag for a Visa charge alert is pretty useless IMO.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by bubbatime
I get back 2.5% to 5% back on every transaction so it makes me money.

What card gives at least 2.5% back?

USAA limitless 2.5% cashback card. Not available any longer. 2.5% cash back on everything. Awesome card. I use it for every purchase that doesnt qualify for 5% back... Chase and Discover give 5% back on rotating categories. AMEX gives 3% back on groceries.

https://www.creditcards.com/reviews...wards-visa-signature-credit-card-review/

You guys complaining about debit card security need a better bank or something. I almost solely use my debit card with Chase and I've never ever had an issue with their fraud protection - in fact it's one of the best I've ever come across. I go on road trips a lot and I know that they track my progress across state lines at gas stations when I use my card too. If anything is out of the ordinary, they'll immediately lock my card and text+call me.

Originally Posted by Pew
You guys complaining about debit card security need a better bank or something. I almost solely use my debit card with Chase and I've never ever had an issue with their fraud protection - in fact it's one of the best I've ever come across. I go on road trips a lot and I know that they track my progress across state lines at gas stations when I use my card too. If anything is out of the ordinary, they'll immediately lock my card and text+call me.

Correct. If you are relying on the bank to call you or hope to catch these fraud transactions by checking monthly statements then you are way behind the times.

The best cards and financial institutions have instant notification and protection policies in place. With my Apple Card I usually get the text while I am still at the register. My Schwab debit card is almost as fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back