BITOG Forums really need a RATING SYSTEM for Threads or Replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may experiment with a "like" button where a positive rating is the only choice. The above post about Instagram demonstrates what many forums find when they turn on a rating system for posts, threads, and users. The rating system gets used as an emotional punishment tool, not as an objective rating.

Originally Posted by wwillson
We may experiment with a "like" button where a positive rating is the only choice. The above post about Instagram demonstrates what many forums find when they turn on a rating system for posts, threads, and users. The rating system gets used as an emotional punishment tool, not as an objective rating.

Exactly!

Just as long as the like count does not turn into I have more likes than you argument...which it probably will.

Couple thoughts related to this..... 1) Maybe don't publicly display a user's "like" count (keep egos in check). 2) Limit which sub-forums it's available in.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Couple thoughts related to this..... 1) Maybe don't publicly display a user's "like" count (keep egos in check). 2) Limit which sub-forums it's available in.

#1 is interestng. Only allow people to see just their own like count, and nobody is able to see anyone else's. But that won't allow people to see who might be a good contributor to the board, only makes it a personal ego metric.

As mentioned earlier, the boards I've been on with a like button seems to be used more for who's the board comic instead of the board technical contributor. Maybe it would be different here; only one way to find out. It can always be turned off if it's a disaster.

That, or maybe the user can select in his preferences whether or not he wants his likes displayed. I agree with limiting it to some forums, like where repair advice is frequently given.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
#1 is interestng. Only allow people to see just their own like count, and nobody is able to see anyone else's. But that won't allow people to see who might be a good contributor to the board, only makes it a personal ego metric.

The number of likes a user receives is not directly related to how "good" they are. Every forum has people who have buddies and will "like" or upvote their posts regardless of value. The value of a post should be based on that specific post, not who posted it.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
#1 is interesting. Only allow people to see just their own like count, and nobody is able to see anyone else's. But that won't allow people to see who might be a good contributor to the board, only makes it a personal ego metric.

The number of likes a user receives is not directly related to how "good" they are. Every forum has people who have buddies and will "like" or upvote their posts regardless of value. The value of a post should be based on that specific post, not who posted it.

Yeah, that was basically my point too. In other words, the "like" system is kind of worthless when human beings are involved, lol.

Honestly, the only place I've found that to be an asset is on photo only threads where it cuts down on the clutter...

Depending on what forums you're planning on experimenting in, might I suggest a "this fixed my problem" button instead of "like" ... and perhaps make that button voteable only by the OP...

One way to make this feasible would be to have everything out in the open for all to see. On any given comment show the likes and dislikes and show which members voted either way.

Originally Posted by PimTac
One way to make this feasible would be to have everything out in the open for all to see. On any given comment show the likes and dislikes and show which members voted either way.

For the folks that really want it this way it is my suggestion is you open a group page on Farcebook run it yourself and ring in your glory.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

For the folks that really want it this way is my suggestion is you open a group page on Farcebook run it yourself and ring in your glory.

That would be my suggestion as well. I have yet to see any voting system that has been free of trouble. A voting system would likely increase the work of the moderators and they are already stretched thin.

HAHA, speaking of that, what happened to the "What kind of zoning would you need to build a steel building?" thread. http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=Wh...S&w=QYpome7SDPs7fcYOevEwgTHchNt_1FWC Guess somebody made a comment that somebody else didn't like and got it pulled?

This is typically something a newb who is !!!!! retentive wants in order to play some social manipulation game because they're either to lazy or inadequate to post appropriate counters.

It can also be abused when there's some urban myth that 90% of people believe when it isn't true, then some super-newb comes along and draws the wrong conclusion because 10 idiots repeated the urban myth and/or downvoted what contradicted it.

To make this more easy to grasp, consider that at one point in time in our past, the world was considered to be flat and if they had an internet then and someone posted that the world was round, that poster would have been downvoted into oblivion.

Long story short, voting is a popularity contest while the truth isn't always the most popular bit of information.

Yeah, and the rating system should automatically issue a dislike for starting a new topic linking to a you tube video that has already been posted at least twice...

I will add that possibly allow tagging of members in certain threads. For example, you see a thread on trans fluids that you know Mola would probably have the answer to, tag him to ensure he sees it and the OP can get a swift answer.

Sad but true.

You can already tag people here, I'm positive. I've seen it done by the standard "@ username" (with no space) doesn't work here. Not sure what the proper code is.

I wonder if users can set "Do not allow others to tag me" ?
grin.gif
That could get real annoying for some real quickly.

Originally Posted by discountdon
Some threads and/or replies are just plain horrible and stupid, mine's included I'm sure.

Simple examples would be bad subject titles, non well thought out threads, etc...

Please consider a 5 star rating system or something!

You know I'm right.

Oh and BTW, not one member here gave me a welcome smiley.
mad.gif

I've lurked here on and off for many years, learn lots, some shilling exists but that's okay
sick.gif

Glad to be here!

happy2.gif

No Ratings System here please. No Thumb-Up or Thumb Down to any of my replies please. No Likes or Dislikes either.
Some of us are here to educate members on their comments. This can be done without someone giving me a thumbs down or Dislike, when they claim things like Supertech Syn 5W30 cleans the engine as well as Pennzoil Platinum, simply because both oils meet the very basic SN Plus / Dexos specs.

If anyone believes Supertech is equal to Pennzoil, this is a perfect reason to never allow a ratings system here.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Some threads and/or replies are just plain horrible and stupid, mine's included I'm sure.

Simple examples would be bad subject titles, non well thought out threads, etc...

You know I'm right.

mad.gif

I've lurked here on and off for many years, learn lots, some shilling exists but that's okay
sick.gif

Glad to be here!

happy2.gif

No Ratings System here please. No Thumb-Up or Thumb Down to any of my replies please. No Likes or Dislikes either.
Some of us are here to educate members on their comments. This can be done without someone giving me a thumbs down or Dislike, when they claim things like Supertech Syn 5W30 cleans the engine as well as Pennzoil Platinum, simply because both oils meet the very basic SN Plus / Dexos specs.

If anyone believes Supertech is equal to Pennzoil, this is a perfect reason to never allow a ratings system here.

This is a very good point.

I would be fine with member tagging like "@Triple_Se7en" to notify a specific member that may be an SME on that particular topic. This could of course be a feature a member could turn off in their settings should they wish to not be tagged.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

You know I'm right.

mad.gif

sick.gif

Glad to be here!

happy2.gif

This is a very good point.

I would be fine with member tagging like "@Triple_Se7en" to notify a specific member that may be an SME on that particular topic. This could of course be a feature a member could turn off in their settings should they wish to not be tagged.

Lemme get this straight, they guy who says Mobil 1 is never more than 5000 miles is here to "educate" us? That is hysterical ...
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back