Recommend a filter: 2004 CRV-switching to Supertech HM 0w 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 CRV 145k

It calls for 5w20 and has seen mostly Havoline dino with stock filter. The ST 0w20 is so dang cheap, Im gonna switch and just probably change it once a year which will probably be about 8k a year. The stock Honda filter is tiny. Is there a larger one that will fit? Right now Im leaning towards Fram Ultra.

Last edited:
There might not be an oversized oil filter option, too little space. See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4112959/Re:_oversized_version_of_xg731
Wait, that thread was for the smaller 1.8L honda engine, so check for some extra width space and use a

XG7317: 2.70 X 3.47"
XG3593A: 3.02 X 3.39"

Fram Ultra is very good choice. Can't think of better.

If you want to see where SuperTech was made, Warren in Iowa makes it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g89GGcEyzI
and it looks like they blend their purchased additive package and base oils very well. Good quality control !!

Once a year and 8,000 miles is about right. GM's own dexos1 0w20 applications spec 7,500 mile or 1 year with Direct Injection engines that produce too much carbon soot. Yours makes far less soot.

I believe the Purolator 4459 sized filters still fit Hondas even though they went to the thimble sized filters....same with the 7317 sized Fram's. (room permitting).

PS: I just looked up your application on RA's site and it already calls for the Fram 7317....I had assumed it called for the 6607 sized thimble...I'd probably just stick with the 7317 size. The ST synthetic should work well with a quality filter like FU, Boss, Platinum etc....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by N Heat
2004 CRV 145k

It calls for 5w20 and has seen mostly Havoline dino with stock filter. The ST 0w20 is so dang cheap, Im gonna switch and just probably change it once a year which will probably be about 8k a year. The stock Honda filter is tiny. Is there a larger one that will fit? Right now Im leaning towards Fram Ultra.

The stock Oem filter isn't all that tiny unless you're going by what Wal-Mart calls for with their supertech filters. The st6607 is really small but the Oem size is the same as the 7317 from fram. Fram makes Honda oil filters so I'd stick with something made by fram like the tough guard or ultra

Ive used 7317 in my hondas..

With that being said why are you switching viscosities? Honda says its 'acceptable' which to me says not 'ideal'..

[Linked Image from di-uploads-pod20.dealerinspire.com]

I would run any good filter for 2 OCIs; the Fram UG is almost a no brainer nowadays.
I would not extend OCIs to past 6K; I like to keep my engines clean and happy.
I have had really good results with this practice.
I like fresh air filters as well.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

With that being said why are you switching viscosities? Honda says its 'acceptable' which to me says not 'ideal'..

[Linked Image from di-uploads-pod20.dealerinspire.com]

And that chart does not match the owners manual, 2007 Civic EX when published.

Note that the 2 highest performers - Civic Si and S2000 call for thickest oil.

"Ideal" for Honda which has to meet CAFE or Ideal for you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krismoriah72

With that being said why are you switching viscosities?

My parents have 2 Hondas that call for 0w20. I was just gonna switch mine over and just have 0w20 on hand. What conditions would make the 5w optimal vs the 0w?

Originally Posted by N Heat
krismoriah72 said:
What conditions would make the 5w optimal vs the 0w?

None. 0w is still thicker cold than 20 is hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back