Confusion on the Craftsman Lifetime warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hearing complaints on how stores are not honoring the warranty. Lowes, Ace Hardware, even Sears. The old tools sold by Sears and the new craftsman tools sold by Lowe's are different and have different part numbers, so Lowes could not honor the lifetime warranty on tools they do not sell.

Lowe's' does not stock identical Sears tools. The main tools I usually replace are the [censored] ratchets, they strip and skip gears so often.

As I understand it, some items don't require a receipt and can be exchange "no hassle" for the same item, hand tools under the lifetime warranty, "guaranteed forever" yeah.
The current Craftsman website lists all their warranty terms and for hand tools, mechanics tools and automotive tools a full lifetime warranty is still the policy.

Last edited:
This is what happens when the younger generation gets old enough to have managerial positions.

You just look that twerp in the eye and say "look sonny, I'm going to take a brick to your head if you don't **** and replace my tool".

wink.gif

If he/she/it doesn't flinch, did you bring a brick?

It's not a matter of identical tools, nearest equivalent has always been the standard even back when Sears was the only source. If all else fails, contact Stanley B&D.

Lowe's employees are lazy and incompetent. I've had issues with warranties for their own brand, Kobalt. They are supposed to give you something similar if they don't carry the exact item. Usually they will try to pass you off to the toll free Kobalt number or just leave you hanging hoping you will leave.

As for Craftsman Tools, they probably don't want to bother do a warranty exchange as it must involve paperwork. Last time I tried, the manager of the tool department, whom I've known for years, gave me the Craftsman toll free number to call. The manager claimed the tools that Lowes sells and what Sears sells are different. Corporate

If you are able to get them to warranty the tool, never give them your ID. They will put your personal information in a database called "Retail Equation". The database keeps track of "returns" without a receipt. Next time you attempt to return an item without a receipt, you will most likely be denied.

The only store I haven't recently had a problem with tool warranty, is Home Depot. They even have life-time no questions asked warranty on torque wrenches.

No confusion, the lifetime warranty on your old Craftsman tools is a thing of the past. All your Sears bought Craftsman tools will no longer have warranties when the last Sears closes down. The new part numbers for the same tools are the last nail in the coffin for old Craftsman tools. I can see each retailer selling the same craftsman tool have different part numbers, this way you will have to take the tool back to the same retailer when you need an exchange.

It's all about the money. How are these companies supposed to sell new tools if everyone is running around with lifetime guaranteed tools?

Also are we talking about a guarantee for your lifetime or the tools lifetime?

I still take broken tools to Sears and they honor the warranty and replace it. I have had no recent problems.

Last edited:
You need a friendly Ace Hardware, one that knows you-then they will take care of you. Be an Ace Rewards member, spend a few $ there (maybe on a new tool or two, even if you have to have it shipped there), then they will take care of your broken Craftsman hand tools. I have TONS of them & use them for work every day, so I'm generally always needing something replaced!

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
It's all about the money. How are these companies supposed to sell new tools if everyone is running around with lifetime guaranteed tools?

Also are we talking about a guarantee for your lifetime or the tools lifetime?

Supposed to be the tool's lifetime, although I have some stuff that's probably 30+ years old now.

Originally Posted by Lubener
I still take broken tools to Sears and they honor the warranty and replace it. I have had no recent problems.

I thought Sears doesn't even carry Craftsman tools any more?

Originally Posted by diyjake

I thought Sears doesn't even carry Craftsman tools any more?

Sears have all disappeared here, we're even losing our last 2 K-Marts.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Sears have all disappeared here, we're even losing our last 2 K-Marts.

Same here. There was an article in the local paper that our K-Mart, (the last one in Arizona), will soon be closing it's doors.

Finding a Sears store that is still open is the first hurdle to overcome.

Originally Posted by Dave9
This is what happens when the younger generation gets old enough to have managerial positions.

The more I read about these Craftsman warranties, the more I'm seeing that the Lowes folks are doing their job exactly correct. Has nothing to do with "younger generation" whatsoever. Don't like it ? Take it up with Craftsman since it's their policy.

What good does a lifetime of junk tools do?

Craftsman quality has been marching steadily downward for years, and fell straight off a cliff when they were recently sold.

I consider the new Craftsman stuff well below even Harbor Freight.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Craftsman quality has been marching steadily downward for years, and fell straight off a cliff when they were recently sold.

I moved on to SK Tools! I still have vintage "Made in USA" Craftsman tools though.

Or you could take it up with Mr. Lampert and his hedge fund who ran Sears into the ground. Vulture capitalism at its finest.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Dave9

The more I read about these Craftsman warranties, the more I'm seeing that the Lowes folks are doing their job exactly correct. Has nothing to do with "younger generation" whatsoever. Don't like it ? Take it up with Craftsman since it's their policy.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with whoever is managing the store, since they don't create corporate policies.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I moved on to SK Tools! I still have vintage "Made in USA" Craftsman tools though.

+1

Craftsman tools are now cheap junk, especially the "evolve" series. I had an evolve ratchet that stripped the gears as I was tightening something on a car and slammed my hand into a frame rail. That went right in the garbage. I don't care if I get a new POS for free. I bought a used SK ratchet for $8 on ebay. It would probably cost me more in fuel to drive to the nearest location selling Craftsman to return the old one anyway.

I bought some Craftsman recently, as high quality sets as anything I've ever seen. Maybe better. Craftsman is owned by Black and Decker not Sears. It depends on the return clerk, my Lowes is great. On part numbers, the have been changing part numbers for decades on the same looking tools. Cancel that theory they are up to no good.
Craftsman by Sears was about the last holdout to support American manufacturing, and pretty much invented the concept of lifetime warranty. In decades past people weren't so into returning tools for free replacement so the idea worked. I will never bash Sears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back