People who steal debit card info...

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I hate thieves.

My debit card has been compromised, contacted the bank, they cancelled my cards. Hopefully they can get the almost 1000$ back.

I have about 20 Uber transactions, and 8 or so DoorDash transactions that I didnt do. The only place I used this card in the past month was taco bell. I'm thinking the drive thru clerk possibly snapped a photo of my information.

The thing that's sucks most about all of this is that this is the account my monthly IRS payments go thru, therefore if I were to close it, I'd have to contact the IRS and get them to switch my monthly installment plan to a new account, and I doubt they can get that done before the 15th of this month.

Anyway, yeah, theres a special place for thieves.

Is it a branded card like a VISA or MC? If so, in most cases you won't be liable for any of the fraudulent charges. Something similar happened to me before. I dropped my debit card after pulling some cash out of an ATM at the county Fair. The next morning I got a call from VISA saying they spotted suspicious activity and locked my card down but not before the thieves made off with $300 in purchases (goes to show how infrequent merchants DON'T ask for ID). They asked me to file a police report and call them back with the case number. Within days, not weeks, I had the cash back in my account with a new card. If your IRS payments come out of your bank account directly, I don't see why you'd have to change anything. But if your IRS payments are charged to that card #, then yes..a new card will effect that. Just call up the IRS and give them a new card number. Or better yet have them take it out of your account directly???

Last edited:
Always use your credit card for purchasing stuff online.

It sucks.

Don't forget to freeze your credit and create PINs to unlock in the future.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

It sucks.

Even better, and what I do when it's offered, is use PayPal for online transactions. It adds a 2nd layer of protection. PayPal pays the merchant and then takes the money from my bank account. In this case, you have both PayPal and your bank backing you.

Im guessing if your still working and filling for tax end of year , if your retired I dont think you would have this problem ? whats your opinion.thanks

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

It sucks.

Even better, and what I do when it's offered, is use PayPal for online transactions. It adds a 2nd layer of protection. PayPal pays the merchant and then takes the money from my bank account. In this case, you have both PayPal and your bank backing you.

@@@@@@@Very good Idea double layer

Originally Posted by snake123
How do you freeze your credit and create PINs to unlock in the future.

Each of the credit reporting agencies offers the ability to lock and unlock your credit report. You either pay per instance or sign up for a service that affords you this ability. I'm not sure what he means about a PIN, normally you just log into your account and do this...at least that's the way it works for me.

Last edited:
Sorry for your issue, hope everything can be resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. That said, I never use a "debit" card for anything other than my bank ATM transactions, so it's basically a dedicated ATM card. Not enough protection(s) with a debit card.

Credit Cards are covered for loss in event of compromise and have more built in protections. I've had a CC compromised before, card closed, new card issued and charges covered. Annoying and angering, but CC company basically handled everything and no worries about charges being covered. See differences between CC and DC in link.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/credit-card-vs-debit-card-safer-online-purchases/

My advice, if at all possible try and get a no annual fee CC for future purchases and transactions.

And yeah, thieves suck. Low life pond scum.

Thanks , same happened to me when bank said looked suspicious plane ticket request on my number card to go from Bangkok to Kuwait? ,good thing the bank squashed it.
15.gif

Each of the credit reporting agencies offers the ability to lock and unlock your credit report. You either pay per instance or sign up for a service that affords you this ability. I'm not sure what he means about a PIN, normally you just log into your account and do this...at least that's the way it works for me.

Thanks for the heads up.
11.gif

Kinda surprised it took that long to spot. A while back I made a short trip to Virginia, got gas and a couple other things and promptly went to the Home Depot in Maryland (which is near where I live) for a couple things. Before I got home my bank was calling me to confirm the purchases as it was a little out of the normal for me. When I was traveling for work I had to let them know where I was going as they'd do the same thing. Was a little annoying, but at the same time a good thing!

I've never used my debit card, and never will. Credit cards are like a safety net. I can check the statement instantly online to track activity before money ever leaves my account. My card number got compromised last year as someone in Tokyo attempted to make a purchase. I was instantly notified via e-mail and a new card was over-nighted.

Thanks for the heads up.
11.gif

No worries.. and I agree with the hanging thieves up by their family jewels! Let's just hope what comes around goes around....

Originally Posted by Delta
Kinda surprised it took that long to spot. A while back I made a short trip to Virginia, got gas and a couple other things and promptly went to the Home Depot in Maryland (which is near where I live) for a couple things. Before I got home my bank was calling me to confirm the purchases as it was a little out of the normal for me. When I was traveling for work I had to let them know where I was going as they'd do the same thing. Was a little annoying, but at the same time a good thing!

I think it depends upon your patterns and what it is. There have been days where I've made purchases in multiple east coast and west coast states in one day.

Think it also has to do with what type of validation and entry is used.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
My debit card has been compromised, contacted the bank, they cancelled my cards. Hopefully they can get the almost 1000$ back.

Why would you use a debit card for transactions when a credit card has much more protection and gives you cash back to boot?

Anyone - don't believe Paypal looks out for YOU!
I've 2 legitimate problems as buyer and they left me hanging with made up excuses - dropped them after ~15 years.

Per my reading, most debit cars have a limit, but it's timed - say $200 IF you call in 24 hrs.
Best credit cards are 0 exclusions and pay me.

My best is Amex 6% on groceries!

Originally Posted by tshephard
Anyone - don't believe Paypal looks out for YOU!
I've 2 legitimate problems as buyer and they left me hanging with made up excuses - dropped them after ~15 years.

Under what circumstances? In the vast majority of cases, Paypal rules against the seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back