How to pour oil with no funnel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will stick with a funnel. Neat idea but a slow process.

turn the jug so the spout is on high side and you will have good control over the pour with no glug. Pour it the "normal" way and you get glugs.

Use to like the old cans where you puched two holes and put your thumb over the top one. vacuum locked the oil pretty good. Let the thumb go and the oil came out fast after that.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
turn the jug so the spout is on high side and you will have good control over the pour with no glug. Pour it the "normal" way and you get glugs.

Use to like the old cans where you puched two holes and put your thumb over the top one. vacuum locked the oil pretty good. Let the thumb go and the oil came out fast after that.

Well for the quart bottles, same thing, pour it from the side no glugs. I just do it that way to top off, quicker than digging out the funnel. I use a funnel when having to add 8.5 quarts as it's faster with a funnel. I have a steady hand so rarely spill any oil when hand pouring without a funnel.

Oh dear, getting a bit cranky over nothing there guys.

Time and place - have you never been caught out somewhere without your 7 trusty funnels on hand ? Oh no, what can you do ? !!! You could make a mess, or you could remember this simple tip.

Odds are good, you've got an empty water or soda bottle sitting around. It's free:

[Linked Image from i.stack.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Silk

Time and place - have you never been caught out somewhere without your 7 trusty funnels on hand ? Oh no, what can you do ? !!! You could make a mess, or you could remember this simple tip.

As is the BITOG way. Anything even remotely interesting is met with swift and brutal dismissal.

I use gallon milk jugs if I'm using a 5qt jug. The 2-3 gallons of milk we go through a week ensures I always have one laying around. Reduce, reuse, recycle! Otherwise both my cars are easy enough to pour into with 1 quart bottles without assistance.

Last edited:
Cool idea, for use in an a pinch, maybe. All the dipstick has to do is touch the side of the fill tube, or if the oil is poured a little too fast there's going to be a mess.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
.... All the dipstick has to do is touch the side of the fill tube, or if the oil is poured a little too fast there's going to be a mess.

+1.

That's a disaster waiting to happen. You can buy a whole set from Harbor Freight for less than a buck and a half.

Heck, that method didn't even work to poison James Bond!

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-funnel-set-744.html

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Silk

As is the BITOG way. Anything even remotely interesting is met with swift and brutal dismissal.

I use gallon milk jugs if I'm using a 5qt jug. The 2-3 gallons of milk we go through a week ensures I always have one laying around. Reduce, reuse, recycle! Otherwise both my cars are easy enough to pour into with 1 quart bottles without assistance.

^^^^^^^^^^

You know... This is really a good point and really a good post.

It was a cute visual but potentially messy as pointed out.

I'd go the rolled up magazine page route (to make a funnel) if I had to.

Surprising that James Bond was wearing his robe in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back