Rationalizing collection/next step

Status
Not open for further replies.
First world problem, got that out of the way
laugh.gif

Cannot seem to find MCompact's (If I remember) similar thread from earlier this year...

Thinking of selling 3 or 4 of the fun vehicles for 1 new (new to the collection, not brand new) one. I just do not enjoy the volume of wrenching that I used to and with some new personal and professional time demands, I barely enjoyed most of them this past year. The TR6 and '72 Rover will stay, everything else is in play.

I'm looking for out of the box thoughts; what's fun? Some guidelines; prefer European but open, uncommon, fun to drive but not necessarily a 2 seat exotic, open to 25+ year old imports assuming parts are reasonably available.

Some of my initial thought before I start browsing Hemmings marque by marque:

-Ferrari 308GTs One of the 2 the cars that made me fall in love with cars. One of the prettiest cars ever. Decent build quality and materials, but still quirky and needy; the Italians can give the British a run for the money on electrical and other system madness. Driving feel is a bit dated at this point.
-Lotus Esprit through 1987. The other car that got me here. Striking to look at and exciting to drive, especially the turbo models. Lotus build quality and reliability...'nuff said. Maybe too frustrating to deal with at this point.
-Aston Martins through early 2000's. Coupes are pretty, cabriolets are always fun. Hand built, top quality wood and leather. Can be needy, parts are silly $ and are they exciting enough?
-Acura NSX, early. Exceedingly competent and easy to own, not super engaging, but there is a lot to be said for just turning the key and going.
-Air cooled Porsches. Easy to own, reliable, durable. Silly money for what they are; just cant get over what 964's are selling for and Turbos are out of my range.
-Jag E or Austin Healy 3000. Stunning to look at but primitive and do I want to go there again?
-Grand Wagoneer. Always had a soft spot for these. Silly money now, but I could take the extended family along for the fun.
-Early Mustang. Dad's favorite car. Be nice to enjoy with him.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
One more to add to the list: Honda S2000 - fun (9000 rpm redline), fast, and Honda reliable.

Thanks and I completely agree...I had a 2001. One of my favorites. Sold it when I bought the Elise and having the Lotus made me further realize how great of a car the S2K is.

Originally Posted by frankbee3
Piper J3 Cub? Inexpensive to fly, parts readily available and shouldn't need a lot of wrenching.
Out of the box.

Funny, I've thought of getting out of the Dakota for something like that, don't use her for the distances like I used to. Lot of airplane for keeping current and coffee runs. There is always a Nanchang CJ6... Thanks.

I'm a sucker for a Turbo Esprit; I also would love to have a Jensen Interceptor. And maybe buy back my E24 M6.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I'm a sucker for a Turbo Esprit; I also would love to have a Jensen Interceptor. And maybe buy back my E24 M6.

Yeah, the first generation Esprits are compelling, even with their warts. Jensen is an interesting idea, but I want a manual. The M6, another great suggestion, has me thinking about an 850Ci.

Managed to drive a few on the list over the past two weeks, plus a ride in a potential client's R8 which is an amazing car! I'm leaning towards a mid 2000's DB7/Vantage; beautiful, decently built, parts and dealer (only when absolutely necessary) maintenance can be scary but owners say they are not extremely needy cars. Did I say beautiful in blue? Now to find the right one....probably be the better part of the year.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Funny, I had lunch with a potential client and, as I had an Elantra loaner, he took us in his R8. Quite a car, silly fast, rode surprisingly well for its capability, fantastic brakes. Loved the clacking of the gated shift lever, minor point, but really cool. Like it but not enough.

Air cooled 911's are still in play and this will be a long process, but I am really leaning towards one of these (pic from Hemmings):

[Linked Image]

You really can't go wrong with an Aston, but I would do something a little newer than a DB7.

The generation that follows DB9/DB11/Vantage/Vanquish is much better.

Then next time I have room for something sporty and mostly irresponsible, it will be a Bentley Continental GT.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
You really can't go wrong with an Aston, but I would do something a little newer than a DB7.

The generation that follows DB9/DB11/Vantage/Vanquish is much better.

Then next time I have room for something sporty and mostly irresponsible, it will be a Bentley Continental GT.

Irresponsible at a minimum, excessive, grotesque even, and I cannot think of one rational reason to own one... Excellent choice!
thumbsup2.gif

So, a few weeks ago, it was time for annual oil changes and I had drawn my stash down to three quarts. I found myself in line at Walmart with ~9 gallons of Mobil1, and that was after a trip to NAPA for three cases of M1 5w-50. I'd been thinking of reducing the fleet and that drove the point home.

Regarding the AM's, as the years go on, it is increasingly difficult to get a manual though. Completely agree that the later cars are better, but I'm not ready for an auto yet.

My vote would be for...
1. Acura NSX. This is the one car on your list that won't need hardly any attention.
2. Air cooled Porsche. You can't really go wrong with this choice assuming you buy a nice enough car to begin with.
Stay away from the E-type, they tend to be very needy and anything you do to the car will cost stupid money. That is the main reason why they don't bring the astronomical prices that the other exotics bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back