What happened to the tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out camping this weekend and noticed that one of the trailer tires looked to be way overinflated. The tread along the whole tire was bulging up like the tire had 100lbs of air in it. The tread was not flat like the other tires. I got the gauge out and it was actually about 10lbs low which considering we're in a very cold snap makes sense. Put on the spare and it looks like the others again.

Any ideas what happened? Blew a belt? They are radials so there's no way it should have looked like that unless something internally blew out...

Originally Posted by Finklejag
Cheap Chinese tires flooding the market.

I am going to change the tires on my new TT this winter. I only trusted them for 1 season. Going to go with goodyear endurance.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Out camping this weekend and noticed that one of the trailer tires looked to be way overinflated. The tread along the whole tire was bulging up like the tire had 100lbs of air in it. The tread was not flat like the other tires. I got the gauge out and it was actually about 10lbs low which considering we're in a very cold snap makes sense. Put on the spare and it looks like the others again.

Any ideas what happened? Blew a belt? They are radials so there's no way it should have looked like that unless something internally blew out...

You had a tread separation - typically the top belt separates from the bottom belt.

How old are these tires? On the RV websites I frequent, they report that trailer tires last 5 or 6 years, then they are too old and need to be replaced.

Plus, trailer manufacturers didn't do a good job of sizing the tires - not enough load carrying capacity.

Then there's the issue of being 10 psi underinflated.

You might want to consider replacing all the tires. The latest is that the Goodyear Endurance series seems to be the only tire to have solved all the trailer tire issues.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Finklejag
Cheap Chinese tires flooding the market.

I am going to change the tires on my new TT this winter. I only trusted them for 1 season. Going to go with goodyear endurance.

I believe that the Endurances are made in the USA

Thanks. Don't have pics but I'll try to get some up tomorrow. Basically the whole tread is raised in a domelike pattern throughout the whole tire. Kind of reminded me of a bike tire where it's domed vs flat like a car/truck tire.

Tires are the original WestLakes from the trailer which was manufactured in April 2015 (we ordered it) so they are either early 2015 or late 2104 vintage. About 12k miles on them.

I do keep up with the pressures and check them regularly. We're in the NE and the tires were just aired up a couple weeks a ago in the 50's. Last night it was 17 in the campground and I think I checked the pressure when it was in the low 30's.

Plan is for 5 new tires next camping season - they will be 5 years old then. Not sure what to go with - thinking Carlisle or Goodyears.

Les Schwab warranted and replaced several tires on my trailer as they delaminated. If I were buying trailer tires today I'd look at the Made in USA Goodyears.

Tires are the original WestLakes from the trailer which was manufactured in April 2015 (we ordered it) so they are either early 2015 or late 2104 vintage. About 12k miles on them.

It didn't take long to find a bit of information about WestLake tires from 2014-right about the time those tires were new.

WestlakeTires.JPG

Here are the pics of the bad tire:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Note how the tread cups - not flat like this "good" tire:
[Linked Image]

Even my wife agreed it didn't look that good. We ended up putting the spare on for good measure and got home fine.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tire. They have gotten good reviews in the RV forums and are decently priced. There seems to be some confusion if they are made in the USA or China but I think the QC from a name brand company would be better than not. I've got a set of Chinese made Coopers on my Taurus and they have been excellent tires.

I don't know where the Carlisle tire are made. However the HD version has earned a good reputation on the RV forums.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

It didn't take long to find a bit of information about WestLake tires from 2014-right about the time those tires were new.

HM...no. The Westlake tires now have the proper construction and a nylon overlay cap. Don't know about the rest. But it's rather unfair to bash tires you have no experience with by using the work "alleged". Please go back and share the date of your "copy and paste" article.

The OP's tires should have been replaced way before this...regardless of the company or country of origin. I have run all manner of Chinese ST tires. At the 4 year marked they are replaced...regardless of appearance. I have never had a single blowout....NEVER.

Last edited:
Checked the DOT codes and 5114 so they are nearing 5 years old and just a hair under 12k with us. The plan was to replace them next year anyway prior to the camping season.

I'm just glad we caught it before it blew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back