08 charger rt loses oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
I have a 07 charger R/t with about 310k original miles and about 70k miles on the reman engine replacement from 3 years ago.

I travel with my job about 2000 miles a month.
I've been using Mobile 1 5/20 full Synthetic 20k protection.
With the same filter.
I'm noticing at about 1000 miles I'm losing 1qt of oil about 1.5qt of oil at 1500 miles.

Is this normal?
If so, what can I do to prevent this ? Should I switch to a heavier weight?
Or is it some type of additive I could use each oil changed to prevent this from happening.

Well, I can tell you this... I wouldn't be topping off with something as expensive as Mobil 1 AP at that rate of consumption!
(That'd be, what, $240 a year in makeup oil at ~$10 a quart?)

That oil consumption may or may not be "normal" even though it is kinda annoying... it certainly isn't alarming. I'd just check frequently and motor on. That'd be about 2 quarts a month; probably wouldn't pay to fix any issue (assuming you could even determine what was wrong).
Me, I'd run cheap dino (Supertech or some sale dino) for a longer run, as the oil's additives are being replenished frequently. In Georgia, I might even consider 10w30 in that engine... definitely would consider 5w30.
Alternately, you could run Supertech full synthetic, perhaps in 10w30, (+high mileage if interested) and a good filter for a longer run. It'd be far cheaper, less than half of what you're doing now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
What motor is in the Charger, Hemi? I would switch to a High Mileage oil and go to a 5W-30.

Are you running that oil for 20K?

5.7 hemi

I've been trying to run it for 20k but , however, I've been going about 10-15k. I understand it would be some oil lost at this rate but not a qt every 1k.

Originally Posted by TmanP
Well, I can tell you this... I wouldn't be topping off with something as expensive as Mobil 1 AP at that rate of consumption!
(That'd be, what, $240 a year in makeup oil at ~$10 a quart?)

That oil consumption may or may not be "normal" even though it is kinda annoying... it certainly isn't alarming. I'd just check frequently and motor on. That'd be about 2 quarts a month; probably wouldn't pay to fix any issue (assuming you could even determine what was wrong).
Me, I'd run cheap dino (Supertech or some sale dino) for a longer run, as the oil's additives are being replenished frequently. In Georgia, I might even consider 10w30 in that engine... definitely would consider 5w30.
Alternately, you could run Supertech full synthetic, perhaps in 10w30, (+high mileage if interested) and a good filter for a longer run. It'd be far cheaper, less than half of what you're doing now.

What's Dino oil? Never heard of this before.
Was considering 5/30. But do you think 10/30 would be better ?

Also what's your opinion on Lucas additive ?

Try and run some kreen in it. My altima was using a similar amount and one dose of snake oil cut the usage down to a few ounces in 1k. Probably not enough to even have to add.

Were it me , I would not go over 5000 miles on oil / filter change . Using a good full synthetic oil and a good filter . But it is your $$$ . Do as you see best .

Originally Posted by wjason777
What's Dino oil? Never heard of this before.

Dino oil means non-synthetic or non-synthetic blend oil.

Originally Posted by wjason777
Originally Posted by PimTac
Five years ago you had this same problem. You ran expensive oil then and are running expensive oil now.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3443454/1

🎻

Yes.
Same problem, new engine.

You live in Georgia, where it doesn't get very cold. Your vehicle uses 1 quart of 20 grade oil every 1,000 miles.

Try a 10w-30 of the same brand and report back.

Hopefully he has learned how to check the oil. Five years ago he started the engine and then pulled the dipstick. It kept reading low.

🤦â€â™‚ï¸

Hopefully he has learned how to check the oil. Five years ago he started the engine and then pulled the dipstick. It kept reading low.

And still spelling it Mobile 1. And still wondering if the brand is the cause of the issue. And still a mysterious oil loss even with a different engine.

Originally Posted by kschachn

And still spelling it Mobile 1. And still wondering if the brand is the cause of the issue. And still a mysterious oil loss even with a different engine.

And trying a different brand along with the 10w-30 might help.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Were it me , I would not go over 5000 miles on oil / filter change . Using a good full synthetic oil and a good filter . But it is your $$$ . Do as you see best .

5K with a Synthetic? Do you drive a Model T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back