Colorado updated traction law for I-70 and messes it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2019A/bills/fn/2019a_hb1207_r1.pdf

Summary of Legislation The bill requires motor vehicles driving on I-70 between milepost 133 (Dotsero) and milepost 259 (Morrison), from September 1 to May 31 of each year, to be equipped with:
• tire chains or an alternative traction control device (i.e. cable chains);
• four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive with tires that have a tread depth of three-sixteenths of an inch and that are adequate for the conditions; or
• tires with any form of the mountain-snowflake symbol (i.e. M&S, M+S, or M/S)imprinted by the manufacturer and a tread depth of at least three-sixteenths of an inch.

Under the bill, "equipped" means that a motor vehicle uses or carries the appropriate traction equipment for icy or snow-packed conditions.

A noncommerical violator of these requirements commits an existing class B traffic infraction and is subject to a $100 fine and a $32 surcharge. If a violation results in the closure of at least one lane of traffic, the violator is subject to a penalty of $500 and a $156 surcharge.

Theoretically a person driving summer tires that have sufficient depth and M+S on the sidewall, can get into a crash and fight the traction charges.

But hey, maybe the legislature thought M+S means Mountain-Snowflake... it has the right letters for the acronym

In SE BC which is most definitely mountain country the period is Oct 1 to March 31 and requirement is M&S or Mountain Snowflake. I drive on M&S most the year but put on Mountain Snowflakes from Dec 1 to March 1 which are on separate rims.
smile.gif
The wear limit is 4.5/32 and the fine is about 80 bucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
In SE BC which is most definitely mountain country the period is Oct 1 to March 31 and requirement is M&S or Mountain Snowflake. I drive on M&S most the year but put on Mountain Snowflakes from Dec 1 to March 1 which are on separate rims. The wear limit is 4.5/32 and the fine is about 80 bucks. If it keeps some yahoo with bald tires off the road, I'm for it.
smile.gif

Last edited:
They changed the wording

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/hb19-1207

(B) WHEN ICY OR SNOW-PACKED CONDITIONS EXIST ON THE HIGHWAY, THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION MAY RESTRICT TRAVEL ON OR USE OF ANY PORTION OF A STATE HIGHWAY BY ANY MOTOR VEHICLE UNLESS THE MOTOR VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING: TIRE CHAINS OR AN ALTERNATE TRACTION DEVICE; FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE WITH TIRES THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH AND THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE CONDITIONS; ALL-WHEEL DRIVE WITH TIRES THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH AND THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE CONDITIONS; OR TIRES THAT ARE IMPRINTED BY A MANUFACTURER WITH A MOUNTAIN-SNOWFLAKE, "M&S", "M+S", OR "M/S" SYMBOL OR THAT ARE ALL-WEATHER RATED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH.

The buffoons made it even worse.

Originally Posted by csandste
Speed trap cops can pull over out of staters on Memorial Day balancing Kansas cops doing pot stops when the fleeced vacationers head back east.

Easy convictions here, and it makes the LEO look good.
Don't stick out, and you won't get pulled over. One of the Trooper's I have done my ride along with will seek out people with license plate covers, tint, or driving in the left lane.

OK, so this is what happens when there is a good idea, but then it turns into lobbying race to the goal post.
So few years back there was a 64 or 68 (cannot remember) pile up on I70 Eastbound above Denver. It is fast part of I70 with three lanes and grade between 6-9%, and from Vail to Denver it oscillates between 11,000+ft and in Denver around 5,800ft. So, during inclement weather, it is absolute mess, especially during weekends. Besides truck drivers being biggest problem (since they know "everything" about the roads) main problem is that for those conditions all season tires etc. simply do not cut. Problem is also that in the Front Range climate is very nice, with sunny winters and usually dry roads. Snow comes, next day it is usually gone, so a lot of people chose not to buy snow tires, thinking their AWD will get them through that snowy day. Of course life does not work that way.
Big problem in addition to that are rental car companies at DIA and COS that supply abundance of AWD vehicles equipped mostly with cheapest tire options. Most tourists are not versed in these details around winter driving so the usually rent biggest SUV and think that solved their issue with potential blizzard or icy roads.
The accident that happened, happened going downhill. Legislation was introduced few months after to require snow tires from November to April on this corridor. That is when lobbying industry representing rental car companies went into overdrive trying to burry this. They came up with some solution to study the subject. So this is what they came up with to satisfy rental car companies and those that thump constitution onto every possible issue. Obviously this was done to satisfy those that wanted some action on this corridor which is horrendous to travel in inclement weather and horrendous to travel in nice weather during weekends, and those who did not want to do anything about it. How does it work? It works so good that CSP decided not to enforce for time being.
My advice to those who travel to Summit county and other ski resorts from DIA. Find alternative routes like HWY 285 that will take you to Fair Play, then from there you can easily go to Breckenridge, or continue to HWY 285 which will get you to HWY24, and that can take you to Vail and Beaver Creek.
If you coming from Kansas on I70, and going through the Rockies to get to Utah, alternative route would be I70, then in Limon take HWY24 West through Colorado Springs then from COS to Canon City on HWY115 to HWY50. HWY50 will take you to Grand Junction and back to I70.
But better have snow tires and really good lights on HWY50 if there is snowy weather or generally these back roads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by csandste
Speed trap cops can pull over out of staters on Memorial Day balancing Kansas cops doing pot stops when the fleeced vacationers head back east.

Easy convictions here, and it makes the LEO look good.
Don't stick out, and you won't get pulled over. One of the Trooper's I have done my ride along with will seek out people with license plate covers, tint, or driving in the left lane.

They decided not to enforce this because it is impossible due to language ambiguities.
LEO in CO does not pull that kind of BS like neighboring states. They do not need to, they are actually funded OK.

I spoke with someone "in the know" about this:

4wd / AWD and 3/16" or
2wd with winter tires and/or traction device.

There were some fools from warm states (kaff kaff Texas California Florida kaff kaff) that were running I-70 in the winter with nearly bald tires "like they did back home". These folks caused numerous accidents and the state had to take some action.

Originally Posted by JLTD
I spoke with someone "in the know" about this:

4wd / AWD and 3/16" or
2wd with winter tires and/or traction device.

There were some fools from warm states (kaff kaff Texas California Florida kaff kaff) that were running I-70 in the winter with nearly bald tires "like they did back home". These folks caused numerous accidents and the state had to take some action.

I travel that route twice a week between Oct and May. It is mostly truckers who decide not to put chains, pick up trucks, JEEPs and owners of certain brand that think AWD is cure to everything.
Warm state owners are rare in winter. If they come to ski, they fly and rent a vehicle.

Forget what the laws says, the CSP and CDOT don't check. This is only a legal standard in case of a lawsuit type of law. They will go after the semi's not chained up, but that's only occasionally. Case in point, came up to a very rare checkpoint (maybe seen twice in 30 years I've been living both in the mountains and Denver metro). I was in a 4x4 dually with 6 studded mountain/snowflake tires, pulling a snowmobile trailer with 4 studded mountain/snowflake tires. "Turn around" the 18 year old CDOT employee said. But I have 10 studded mountain/snowflake tires..... "ok go ahead". Didn't even look.
Many of the ski resorts still run 15 passenger 2wd vans year round, although some are switching over to 4wd Sprinters. Bottom line, tires make the biggest difference, but the driver makes more. No standards for that.
And to get off I-70 in a winter storm and get on US-285 or CO-9 or US-24 to get to the mountains, especially if you aren't from the area is the absolute worst piece of advice I've ever seen in my time on this website. Are you on crack?

Originally Posted by edyvw

... It is mostly truckers who decide not to put chains, pick up trucks, JEEPs and owners of certain brand that think AWD is cure to everything.

Yep, ALL Jeep and truck owners are irresponsible. For sure ...

And what is that CERTAIN BRAND you mention ? I think I know ...

23.gif

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by edyvw

... It is mostly truckers who decide not to put chains, pick up trucks, JEEPs and owners of certain brand that think AWD is cure to everything.

Yep, ALL Jeep and truck owners are irresponsible. For sure ...

And what is that CERTAIN BRAND you mention ? I think I know ...

23.gif

You see, you can recognize yourself in posts. You do not have to talk to the screen.

Originally Posted by c502cid
Forget what the laws says, the CSP and CDOT don't check. This is only a legal standard in case of a lawsuit type of law. They will go after the semi's not chained up, but that's only occasionally. Case in point, came up to a very rare checkpoint (maybe seen twice in 30 years I've been living both in the mountains and Denver metro). I was in a 4x4 dually with 6 studded mountain/snowflake tires, pulling a snowmobile trailer with 4 studded mountain/snowflake tires. "Turn around" the 18 year old CDOT employee said. But I have 10 studded mountain/snowflake tires..... "ok go ahead". Didn't even look.
Many of the ski resorts still run 15 passenger 2wd vans year round, although some are switching over to 4wd Sprinters. Bottom line, tires make the biggest difference, but the driver makes more. No standards for that.
And to get off I-70 in a winter storm and get on US-285 or CO-9 or US-24 to get to the mountains, especially if you aren't from the area is the absolute worst piece of advice I've ever seen in my time on this website. Are you on crack?

Colorado last year had 59% of sold beds in ski resorts in North America. If they put checkpoint on I70 Vail Resorts would flip out.
I would say most shuttles in ski resorts and all between DIA and Summit county are AWD and 4WD. I know A-Basin is using now strictly 4WD between lift and overflow parkings with snow tires.
As for HWY24, no I am not on crack, that is what I use when it is snowing to get to Summit county. I got only stuck once on I70 during storm, thinking I can beat it before it arrived. Since than I just hop on 24, than 9. Those roads are always fine as people who drive there are equipped for that. But as I said, better have real snow tires and not any attempt of snow tires like all weather etc. And yes, I would agree, someone not versed in snow driving in mountains should stay on I70.

Last edited:
Saying most of the problems are caused by certain vehicles is not the same as saying all of those vehicles cause problems.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Do they make snow tires for motorcycles?

Yes, they have screws in them. Not sure how legal they are on public roads ...

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Saying most of the problems are caused by certain vehicles is not the same as saying all of those vehicles cause problems.

Sure. But what is really frightening is rent-a-car SUV that weighs 6,000lbs barreling down I70 on Ling Long all season tires.

I recently had a conversation with a co-worker about winter tires. Who drives an AWD SUV . Who DOES NOT need winter tires, well, because his SUV is all wheel drive. And, he was kind enough to point out that the " S " in the M+S designation on all season tires ACTUALLY stands for SNOW.

I pointed out to him that awd DOES get you moving quite well, but does NOTHING when you try and stop or turn ... only the tires stop or turn. And that the M+S designation means only that the tires have a tread pattern that meets a broad specification regarding tread to void ratio. NOT that the tires are actually GOOD in snow. His eyes glazed over ...

He said I'm not wasting my $ on tires I don't need. That's why I bought an SUV ...

This individual is well educated, well compensated and generally a pretty smart guy. But, like so many other drivers, he will not be bothered to learn anything about tires.

I drive a manual transmission Subaru with 50/50 split all wheel drive, and use premium winter tires. The car is a TANK in snow, fantastic traction, beautifully balanced handling ... you can steer with the steering wheel OR the gas pedal. VERY FUN to drive in the winter !

Yes, edyvw, just a typical SUBARU driver here ... ! Or, maybe, NOT.
lol.gif

Which is great ... but more and more I worry about THE OTHER GUY, that guy like my co-worker, who just doesn't get it, and probably never will, but THINKS he is invincible because he drives an AWD something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back