Why so many bad CVT trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Outside of some certain Jatco models used in Nissans.......I haven't seen any CVT failures.

While I don't like them, There is no need to mindlessly bash them!

Subaru has had their share of failures, so many that they extended the warranty on them .

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Outside of some certain Jatco models used in Nissans.......I haven't seen any CVT failures.

Subaru has had their share of failures, so many that they extended the warranty on them .

Outside of a stray WRX now & again.....Haven't worked on a Subaru in years. Forgive my ignorance.

Do they use Jatco CVT's?

Last edited:
Dry DCTs are fine for people who understand them and will use them properly.

But giving average drivers, who are used to how a hydraulic auto trans works, a dry DCT is a recipe for disaster.

Originally Posted by red7404
why is there so many bad CVT transmissions sold to the public? and ill not even talk about fords duel clutch mistake.

You're making some rather sweeping statements. Do you have some actual data to support those statements?

Last edited:

Subaru's CVT is one of the more reliable ones. So long as you don't drain it and put ATF in there instead.

The problem appears to be that Subaru only tell you to change CVT fluid for 'severe' usage and most people don't; then some of the transmissions fail around 100k miles.

As to CVTs in general, they're new, they're difficult to get right, and die quickly if you get them wrong. It's no surprise that there are a lot of problems with them as the bugs are worked out.

Nissan bet the farm on JATCO CVT's.

JATCO is owned by the crappiest second tier Japanese companies: Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki.

Check out the sheer number of your local Craigslist listings for dirt cheap Nissan Quests, Muranos, Altimas, Sentras with failing or failed CVT's out of warranty on sale.

lol.gif

Americans should be driving stick and stop being lazy.

I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle in my driveway that has 308k on it's original CFT30 CVT Transmission. (And 3.0 Duratec). I purchased it from the original owner for $350. It's actually in good shape, and he just wanted a new car. He used it for Uber and performed regular maintenance on the car. Oil changes at 5k and CVT Fluid changed every 60k. I changed the CVT Fluid every 30k in my ownership, with Castrol Transmax CVT. This transmission is a typical and normal CVT, with known issues and pattern failures, but this one has lived a long uneventful life.

I will however bash it for one thing. It is the most mind numbing, boring, uneventful and uninteresting thing I've ever owned/driven daily. It's just a work beater to me, but it nearly puts you to sleep on the drive home from work. No tactile interaction, just a fine example of what cars have become today. A simple boring appliance.

Some days I drive the Marauder just to wake myself up a bit and actually enjoy the drive home. The four cammer howling against a proper automatic transmission just feels better.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

You have to understand that the planetary gear set found in Prius and Ford Hybrids only operates as a CVT, but it's operations requires two electric motors. It's not even a transmission in a traditional sense. It simply behaves as a CVT but it is definitely not the same as CVTs found in gas only vehicles and should never be compared to them.

Bingo...

exactly.. my understanding from watching teardown/rebuild videos, is its really a single speed trans, even though ford insists on calling it an "eCVT".
it looked simple enough that my 10yr old niece could rebuild it ...with instructions of course...

Last edited:
Subaru's CVTs are designed by Fuji heavy industries.

Originally Posted by emg

Subaru's CVT is one of the more reliable ones. So long as you don't drain it and put ATF in there instead.

The problem appears to be that Subaru only tell you to change CVT fluid for 'severe' usage and most people don't; then some of the transmissions fail around 100k miles.

As to CVTs in general, they're new, they're difficult to get right, and die quickly if you get them wrong. It's no surprise that there are a lot of problems with them as the bugs are worked out.

A correction, they would not service your transmission even if it has severe usage. I have been to many stealerships and they tell me that they have been instructed not to change the fluid. If anything happens within 10 years, they will replace it. Nobody talks after that though.

Originally Posted by discountdon

JATCO is owned by the crappiest second tier Japanese companies: Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki.

Check out the sheer number of your local Craigslist listings for dirt cheap Nissan Quests, Muranos, Altimas, Sentras with failing or failed CVT's out of warranty on sale.

lol.gif

You can say that regarding stick for places with little traffic. Try your recommendation in LA (or any city). If you did, you would drive that stick car for about one day and run to the nearest dealer for an AT vehicle. LOL. Its not about lazy.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Subaru's CVTs are designed by Fuji heavy industries.

Originally Posted by emg

A correction, they would not service your transmission even if it has severe usage. I have been to many stealerships and they tell me that they have been instructed not to change the fluid. If anything happens within 10 years, they will replace it. Nobody talks after that though.

The manual in my Subaru says to change the CVT Transmission fluid every 100,000km-60k miles regaredless of severe usage.

Originally Posted by willbur

lol.gif

You can say that regarding stick for places with little traffic. Try your recommendation in LA (or any city). If you did, you would drive that stick car for about one day and run to the nearest dealer for an AT vehicle. LOL. Its not about lazy.

I would not take this poster serious in anything he says.

why is there so many bad CVT transmissions sold to the public? and ill not even talk about fords duel clutch mistake.

Funny because back in the 80's I heard the exact same arguments against the automatic transmission you now are defending......hmmmm...

When I see diesel pickups come with CVTs, I'll buy one. Fascinating that none of the Ecoboost engines are making it into anything heavier duty than an F-150 as well-seems the HD market is a little smarter than the LD one is...

Originally Posted by philipp10

Funny because back in the 80's I heard the exact same arguments against the automatic transmission you now are defending......hmmmm...

Right? I remember those conversations vividly.

Much of the u-toob "expert" reviews and discussions on CVTs crack me up as well. So much misinformation. One of them showed an Subaru Outback cutting power to the wheels on a moderate off road situation. Their professional explanation on that was they do this because NO CVT has a torque converter!

All I can say is WOW and don't believe everything you see on u-toob.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by willbur

lol.gif

I would not take this poster serious in anything he says.

^^^ listen kids, ignore the ignorance that sometimes permeates this forum ^^^

Most CVT Transmission Cars are Terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back