$45k loan for a $27k car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is bonkers..In one example 2 young ppl rolled in nearly $15k in negative equity! And it's said that dealerships often make more off originating the loan than from the sale of the vehicle itself. This is gonna be bad bad bad for the economy because at some point the piper has to be paid....

Link to WSJ article

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
whats one of the things a car salesman ask you? " how much a monthly payment can you afford" ? some people just don't care how much the car cost as long as they can make the monthly payment.

Originally Posted by csandste
I pay cash. I get 'em from Hertz. The next recession/depression will be caused by idiot people and idiot companies taking on debt.

That was certainly one of the causes of the last recession. Unscrupulous lenders putting people in homes they simply could not afford. The same is being done with these car loans...6, 7, 8yr loans and $600, $700, $800 payments (or more) for run of the mill vehicles are now common place. Yet discretionary income hasn't risen but a few points over the last decade or two. I haven't had a car payment in over 6yrs now and love it. Neither do I owe anybody anything in the form of unsecured debt.. and I sleep well at night as a result....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhyMe
whats one of the things a car salesman ask you? " how much a monthly payment can you afford" ? some people just don't care how much the car cost as long as they can make the monthly payment.

$15k in negative equity on top of principle is insane..one is better off just getting it over with and declaring bankruptcy, as I'm sure that's the inevitable fate awaiting that consumer anyhow.. that is unless something dramatic happens like winning the lottery or getting a promotion to CEO....‚

Huh, i didn't mean to post this in the "Humor" subsection (nothing funny about it).

Can a mod move it to the "General" sub-forum?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I pay cash. I get 'em from Hertz. The next recession/depression will be caused by idiot people and idiot companies taking on debt.

That was certainly one of the causes of the last recession. Unscrupulous lenders putting people in homes they simply could not afford. The same is being done with these car loans...6, 7, 8yr loans and $600, $700, $800 payments (or more) for run of the mill vehicles are now common place. Yet discretionary income hasn't risen but a few points over the last decade or two. I haven't had a car payment in over 6yrs now and love it. Neither do I owe anybody anything in the form of unsecured debt.. and I sleep well at night as a result....

There's always a certain percentage that will go bankrupt. It's baked into the interest rate. But if there are too many that go bankrupt, then you have an issue. Isolated cases like these are pretty common. The economy keeps humming along, no telling how long people can keep it up.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Isolated cases like these are pretty common. The economy keeps humming along, no telling how long people can keep it up.

+1
No need to stress or get excited. This has all been accounted for.
coffee2.gif

........The next recession/depression will be caused by idiot people and idiot companies taking on debt.

+100. We saw it a decade ago in the housing market. Apparently few, if any have learned their lessons.

I can't understand how people put themselves into these financial situations. We're talking basic addition and multiplication here. The dumbing down of America continues.

It's about making a profit- and it might even help your 401k....

It's been a growing market the last few years. You even see companies like Chase getting into the game. As people finally start cutting back due to the crushing blow of credit debt- companies need to find a new way to make money. That will come in the way of much higher rates for all. I've already seen a friend with a 750 credit score told the best the dealership could do was 13 percent rate for a new car....

The so called next "money maker" will be the bad credit and "almost rough" credit crowd......

Originally Posted by billt460
........The next recession/depression will be caused by idiot people and idiot companies taking on debt.

+100. We saw it a decade ago in the housing market. Apparently few, if any have learned their lessons.

I can't understand how people put themselves into these financial situations. We're talking basic addition and multiplication here. The dumbing down of America continues.

I'm not excusing personal responsibility but I think lenders are also preying on the "low info" consumer and the sub prime credit people. If you can't pay off a car in 5yrs or less, then buy a cheaper car more in line with your income and debt... that is what the finance guy should be telling people but obviously isn't. I've always said when the finance guy is able to do one of these loans where he's rolling thousands of negative equity into the new one...he gets to eat lobster for dinner that night....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SirTanon
One of many reasons I buy my cars at least 4 or 5 years old, as a rule.. or more. Less than 1/2 the price, and still last me 5 years.

CPO's can be a steal on some models. In many cases you get the/a factory or dealership warranty for several years and someone else took the hit on the new car depreciation. What's the rule of thumb, 10% the second you drive it off the lot?🤔

Years ago I sold 100's of cars to people who were upside down in car loans, and tacked it on to another loan. Most because they had to have the latest and greatest, or trade up. The Finance managers I worked with were experts at it. The term stupid comes to mind, stupid people putting themselves in debt like that, and stupid banks for allowing it. I see nothing has changed. I learned years ago, if I couldn't afford it not to buy it. That has kept me with perfect credit for several decades now.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
One of many reasons I buy my cars at least 4 or 5 years old, as a rule.. or more. Less than 1/2 the price, and still last me 5 years.

my sweet spot is 5yrs old/60kmi/$10k... worked at least twice so far...both cars were over $30k new...

Last edited:
I'm not excusing personal responsibility but I think lenders are also preying on the "low info" consumer and the sub prime credit people. If you can't pay off a car in 5yrs or less, then buy a cheaper car more in line with your income and debt... that is what the finance guy should be telling people but obviously isn't. I've always said when the finance guy is able to do one of these loans where he's rolling thousands of negative equity into the new one...he gets to eat lobster for dinner that night....

These finance people have one job. And one job only. To separate you from as much of your money as possible. You don't loan money at 6% if someone is stupid enough to pay 15%. That is not "predatory lending". It's stupidity based on uninformed, and financially ignorant individuals. If you allow yourself to be financially taken advantage of, you will be. It's as simple as that.

I keep telling people, the last thing to appear on the bottom of the last page of ANY loan application, is your signature. No one is holding a gun to your head to sign. If you don't feel right about any of it, walk away. If you don't understand any or ALL of it, either walk away, or take someone with you who does, and can advise you.

But people don't. And they become victims of their own ignorance. This stuff isn't that hard to figure out. It's all basically simple 4th grade math. You multiply your total amount of monthly payments you are quoted. Then add your down payment. Then subtract the total cost of the vehicle you are quoted from the sum of that. If you wind up with a discrepancy of tens of thousands of dollars. (In this case $18K).... You stand up and walk out the door.

People can only be taken advantage of, if they allow themselves to be. They walk into these places like sheep headed to slaughter. Then complain when it happens. They shop for too expensive of a vehicle in the first place. Then wind up over paying for it, because of asinine interest rates, that create large monthly payments that go on seemingly forever. Within a year they are completely under water, because the thing depreciates faster than a losing lottery ticket. And they can't sell it for anything even close to what they owe.

Right away they blame the banks, credit unions, the dealership, or the salesman. You would think the housing crash of 2008-2009 would have smartened these people up a bit. But it has had the opposite effect. They are all marching right in to do the same thing with houses, cars, credit cards, name it. This is all going to end with another big bang. Even bigger than it did the first time. And when it does, just like the last time, people will be blaming everyone but themselves for it.

These finance people have one job. And one job only. To separate you from as much of your money as possible. You don't loan money at 6% if someone is stupid enough to pay 15%. That is not "predatory lending". It's stupidity based on uninformed, and financially ignorant individuals. If you allow yourself to be financially taken advantage of, you will be. It's as simple as that.

I keep telling people, the last thing to appear on the bottom of the last page of ANY loan application, is your signature. No one is holding a gun to your head to sign. If you don't feel right about any of it, walk away. If you don't understand any or ALL of it, either walk away, or take someone with you who does, and can advise you.

But people don't. And they become victims of their own ignorance. This stuff isn't that hard to figure out. It's all basically simple 4th grade math. You multiply your total amount of monthly payments you are quoted. Then add your down payment. Then subtract the total cost of the vehicle you are quoted from the sum of that. If you wind up with a discrepancy of tens of thousands of dollars. (In this case $18K).... You stand up and walk out the door.

People can only be taken advantage of, if they allow themselves to be. They walk into these places like sheep headed to slaughter. Then complain when it happens. They shop for too expensive of a vehicle in the first place. Then wind up over paying for it, because of asinine interest rates, that create large monthly payments that go on seemingly forever. Within a year they are completely under water, because the thing depreciates faster than a losing lottery ticket. And they can't sell it for anything even close to what they owe.

Right away they blame the banks, credit unions, the dealership, or the salesman. You would think the housing crash of 2008-2009 would have smartened these people up a bit. But it has had the opposite effect. They are all marching right in to do the same thing with houses, cars, credit cards, name it. This is all going to end with another big bang. Even bigger than it did the first time. And when it does, just like the last time, people will be blaming everyone but themselves for it.

Well said. And it will end bad, again!

Nobody is supposed to learn the lesson if there are no rules. I really hate to bring politics in, at the same time, a significant majority has a mantra of small government but when such faction exists (and thrives against common moral values), you are really left with no other option than regulations.

This is a good documentary, worth watching Panic: The Untold Story of the 2008 Financial Crisis At the end of the documentary, the only thing that REALLY struck me, they wanted to conclude that all these companies were saved to save the global economy. I don't know how much truth is there. Some companies should be allowed to fail, esp in the financial industry. Yes, people will lose jobs and sure some of them were involved in some shape or form in these sleazy practices and all CEOs involved should be brought to justice. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back