12 hrs late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning about 9a there was a strange car a few feet off our road. Just parked out in the desert. Apparently one of my neighbors called it in. The car left about 10a.

It's now 9:35 and the cops just showed up to investigate. Nearly a full 12 hrs later! The officer said he just got the dispatch!

Not surprising really, these days unless it is an emergency seems like the cops don't care.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Its so good to hear our dollars are being used so efficiently.

Well it's was not an emergency. I'm sure they have plenty to do. Just re-enforced why I keep a loaded gun.

Reminds me of the joke:

Caller: There's a burglar in my shed.

Police: No officers are currently availabe, we'll send someone out if an officer becomes available.

Caller (10 minutes later): I've just shot a burglar in my shed.

Police: (after 1 minute response and arresting the burglar) We thought you said you just shot someone in your shed.

Caller: I thought you said no officers were available.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Not surprising really, these days unless it is an emergency seems like the cops don't care.

I wouldn't make that assumption.

My sister is a dispatcher for an Atlanta area Emergency Management System and police, fire, Ambulance, and 911 calls all come through the EMS center.

Calls are placed into a queue and handled according to severity of the emergency or possible danger to the public.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by AC1DD

I wouldn't make that assumption.

My sister is a dispatcher for an Atlanta area Emergency Management System and police, fire, Ambulance, and 911 calls all come through the EMS center.

Calls are placed into a queue and handled according to severity of the emergency or possible danger to the public.

This 👆..i listen to the local police bands on a scanner while I'm working in the shop...a "suspicious" vehicle is not a priority 1 through 3 call that would require immediate dispatch of a unit. A suspicious vehicle, at least around here, is a priority 4 call... meaning that the officer assigned to that area will get around to it when he/she can (no other higher priority calls he's on or providing back up for)

What's your point? That law enforcement has more important things to do than to respond with lights and sirens to every parked car?

We have too little information to really make any kind of an informed decision.

Here is what we know:
A vehicle was parked where it typically would not be. The authorities were informed and the response was not "timely".

Here's what we don't know (only given what Chris typed in his OP):
How did the caller (neighbor) describe the car? was it "suspicious"? was it described as "abandoned"? Was it newer and well cared for? Was it a heap of junk and likely to have broken down? Did it have an obvious issue that went undiscovered (flat tire on the side away from viewpoint)?

We will presume that whomever called in the initial concern, didn't call back and say "never mind; it's gone now", or the cops would not have made the effort, however late. Why didn't the caller call back and say "Hey - don't waste any time here; the concern is gone". You see, if he had done that, it would have freed up the time the officer did expend to show up. Now multiply that by all the other "GOA" (Gone upon my arrival) calls.

Additionally, as Mola stated, there are priority of call issues here. Do any of us know the specific protocol and heirarchy of the department in question here??? I doubt it. And was the call properly categorized initially?

Finally, there are the IT issues that do happen. Perhaps the call got put into the cue correctly, but the computer system glitched? It has personally happened to me. I was on a traffic stop right near the end of my shift a few years ago. I cleared the call on the MDT (mobile data terminal) in my car. I logged off the computer after a few minutes and then went home, showered and went to bed. A few hours later there was a knock at my door around 0200 hrs. The local cops (not the same department as which I serve) were sent out to see if I was at home. Seems the computer had "stalled" (my term) my call and after several hours it popped back up and resurfaced in the CAD (computer aided dispatch) system. The dispatchers were freaking out because it showed me out on a traffic stop location that now was physically empty. My bros in blue were panicked when they could not find me, nor the car. This is because a shift change had occurred and the night shift didn't know that I'd already cleared the call. So my point is that things can happen electronically; computer systems are not perfect just as humans are not. The call may have been stalled in the responding agency systems for some unknown reason; the late response may not have been due to human issues.

In the end, all we're left with here is too little information and too much conjecture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3

But that never ever stops us from piling on the inevitable mob bash-fest aimed at everyone and everything that fails to meet our collective expectations.

I worked for the dispatchers in Santa Clara CA Police and Fire for about a year as a programmer on their automated response system.
These people are simply amazing.
When the computerized system went down, they seamlessly switched over to a manual (hard copy) system until the automated system came back.
The #1 calls were alcohol and guns. Scary stuff; far more important than a strange car.
Some of the calls will shake you to your soul; the 'patchers remain cool and just save lives. Amazing.
I asked them what rattled them; "Officer down."

Last edited:
FYI. There has been several disappearances,murders etc around here lately. Any strange car, especially one parked out in the desert is bound to be reported.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/col...ied-missing-woman-krystie-stuart-n966836

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-mcstay-family-murders-verdict-20190610-story.html?_amp=true#aoh=15733953250799&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Flocal%2Flanow%2Fla-me-ln-mcstay-family-murders-verdict-20190610-story.html

https://ktla.com/2019/06/25/still-n...ley-boy-allegedly-killed-by-mother-aunt/

Last edited:
Here is the car. It's parked on the corner of my property.

Screenshot_20191110-061832.png

Originally Posted by dnewton3

Here is what we know:
A vehicle was parked where it typically would not be. The authorities were informed and the response was not "timely".

Here's what we don't know (only given what Chris typed in his OP):
How did the caller (neighbor) describe the car? was it "suspicious"? was it described as "abandoned"? Was it newer and well cared for? Was it a heap of junk and likely to have broken down? Did it have an obvious issue that went undiscovered (flat tire on the side away from viewpoint)?

We will presume that whomever called in the initial concern, didn't call back and say "never mind; it's gone now", or the cops would not have made the effort, however late. Why didn't the caller call back and say "Hey - don't waste any time here; the concern is gone". You see, if he had done that, it would have freed up the time the officer did expend to show up. Now multiply that by all the other "GOA" (Gone upon my arrival) calls.

Additionally, as Mola stated, there are priority of call issues here. Do any of us know the specific protocol and heirarchy of the department in question here??? I doubt it. And was the call properly categorized initially?

Finally, there are the IT issues that do happen. Perhaps the call got put into the cue correctly, but the computer system glitched? It has personally happened to me. I was on a traffic stop right near the end of my shift a few years ago. I cleared the call on the MDT (mobile data terminal) in my car. I logged off the computer after a few minutes and then went home, showered and went to bed. A few hours later there was a knock at my door around 0200 hrs. The local cops (not the same department as which I serve) were sent out to see if I was at home. Seems the computer had "stalled" (my term) my call and after several hours it popped back up and resurfaced in the CAD (computer aided dispatch) system. The dispatchers were freaking out because it showed me out on a traffic stop location that now was physically empty. My bros in blue were panicked when they could not find me, nor the car. This is because a shift change had occurred and the night shift didn't know that I'd already cleared the call. So my point is that things can happen electronically; computer systems are not perfect just as humans are not. The call may have been stalled in the responding agency systems for some unknown reason; the late response may not have been due to human issues.

In the end, all we're left with here is too little information and too much conjecture.

I think the police still come even if you cancel the call as a welfare check kind of thing.

In California cops are busy chasing modified exhausts.

Last year I had a lady come to my house wanting to take pictures of the inside for my lender. When asked who my lender is, she did not know. I asked her to leave my property, we were standing on my driveway, and she refused and started to escalate the situation. Then I see another person getting out of an SUV which was parked few houses down and approaching us. I told my wife to call the cops.
Now, the person that got out of the SUV and the picture lady start arguing because he wants them to leave, while she refuses to leave my property. The start fighting. It was some spectacle to watch and record as we got it on our security and phone cameras. They eventually left.

Cops showed up three of four hours later. They are not there to protect the citizens. They are the mop up crew or take a statement crew.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142

I think the police still come even if you cancel the call as a welfare check kind of thing.

For sure, to let their presence be known sort of thing.

Another example as for some reason Youtube recommended to me some of these "audit" videos of people going around and filming cops or government buildings, so I watched few. Guess what? Cops show up very quickly and tell the people that are filming that they got calls about "suspicious" people with cameras.

So how is one "suspicious" scenario different form another? The only difference I see is the one involves a private citizen while another a government building. That should tell you plenty on what police are really protecting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back