Anybody play VR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Oculus Rift last Christmas. I haven't played it much. But I would like to get into some sim racing.
I don't know much about PCs and stuff so I need some help. Basically what's decent for a racing wheel, pedals and shifter? I will buy a cockpit with a seat.

Budget wise, I don't know. I don't want to spend a lot, but I don't want to buy garbage either. I guess $1000 is absolute limit for all of it.

Thanks for any advice!

P.S. As mentioned its an Oculus rift, and the PC is an Alienware laptop. IDK which model, I can find out if needed.

Last edited:
I tried it out at Microcenters in store demo they have. It's not for me. If you haven't played it much, it sounds like your not into it.
Spending money on other gaming components is a waste of money and the fun will be short lived I bet.

Driving sims might be fun if your a kid, but as an adult?

FRAME RATE is the real issue with VR.

Your laptop has to be able to provide a very high frame at 2560×1440 at 90 FPS to make VR worthwhile. Keyword 90.

I doubt your Alienware laptop is powerful enough.
It's like the old original Crysis for PC game which needed a GPU card from the future to play it. https://www.pcgamer.com/10-years-later-we-can-finally-run-crysis/

Well I am glad I got some replies. But those replies really have nothing to do with the OP.

I have the VR, I am not researching VR's.
I AM buying a wheel, pedals, and shifter. So I will be "wasting" the $$$.
I am an adult that likes racing and has 2 young sons that like racing.
I don't know about all the "other stuff" skyactiv posted, it doesn't have anything to do with my question, but I already have what I have. The laptop is a higher end laptop. It has been plenty capable of running my Oculus games so far.
Nobody that has played it has gotten nauseous.

So does anybody have any advice for a racing setup?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Srt20
Well I am glad I got some replies. But those replies really have nothing to do with the OP.

I have the VR, I am not researching VR's.
I AM buying a wheel, pedals, and shifter. So I will be "wasting" the $$$.
I am an adult that likes racing and has 2 young sons that like racing.
I don't know about all the "other stuff" skyactiv posted, it doesn't have anything to do with my question, but I already have what I have. The laptop is a higher end laptop. It has been plenty capable of running my Oculus games so far.
Nobody that has played it has gotten nauseous.

So does anybody have any advice for a racing setup?
Thanks

There are better websites for your question(s). If you would have asked on such a website, you would have had better answers by now.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Driving sims might be fun if your a kid, but as an adult?

Dirt Rally literally has me sweating by the end of a stage in VR. I was never into those kind of games on a flat screen, but now I have a Rift, a G29 wheel and pedals, a racing seat and a Butt-kicker, I keep looking at the $3,000 hydraulic seat systems but I gather they have some issues in VR.

Nausea can be a problem when framerates are low. I play Truck Simulator now and again and my PC is getting on for ten years old so the frame-rate can drop pretty low in the cities. That can make my stomach churn.

But the racing games are fine as they never drop low enough to be an issue.

Originally Posted by Srt20
I guess $1000 is absolute limit for all of it.

I think that's about what I paid for my G29 wheel/pedals and Playseat seat. I don't have a shifter.

Though that's $1000 Canadian, so maybe $700 US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back