14 Focus M1 Extended Dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.
At last year's Autozone closeout I found a jug of M1 Extended once-a-year 5-20 that I put in the other half's 82k Focus. It was $10! I'm at 88k, and I just don't know if I can stand the idea of leaving that very black oil in there for the winter. The partner loves the remote start, and will run it 20-40 minutes before leaving for work. The colder it is, the longer it runs. I can't blame him as the engine barely uses any fuel.

Dare I change it? I picked up a jug of Motorcraft 5-20 tonight, so I'm ready to go at a moment's notice. I even have a Blackstone bottle in the basement if I can stand to run the current oil out for a while longer...

What do I do??

Last edited:
IIRC Ford recommends a 10K OCI?
You're at 6k ish, and what you describe sounds like severe service, just change it before you get a Minnesota blizzard.

Our Honda Pilot has remote start, and in the winter, it gets warmed up for 10 minutes twice a day. And, the winter trips are short. The oil turns very black quickly, and STINKS of gasoline after about 3-4000 miles, and there is sometimes condensation goop on the filler cap.

I would just change it out, and maybe shorten the oil change interval a bit. The fact that you are thinking about it seems to indicate you want to change it, so just do it !
grin.gif

Last edited:
I think you would be fine, only 6 k on it..but 20-40 minutes is a bit extreme, within 7-10 min it would perfectly warm. If that was the case you could get away with it. Even if you change it, I would change it again by March if you are letting it idle that long frequently.

I always look at it like...what's a little while longer? Are we talking another couple thousand miles? Another month?

I'd be ok with leaving it in there for another month or so, then I'd change it.

Originally Posted by Rand
if its a "dilemma" change it.

Exactly! If you get an oil related anxiety attack during the cold or after a snowfall and decide to change the oil, then what?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by antonmnster
At last year's Autozone closeout I found a jug of M1 Extended once-a-year 5-20 that I put in the other half's 82k Focus. It was $10! I'm at 88k, and I just don't know if I can stand the idea of leaving that very black oil in there for the winter. The partner loves the remote start, and will run it 20-40 minutes before leaving for work. The colder it is, the longer it runs. I can't blame him as the engine barely uses any fuel.

Dare I change it? I picked up a jug of Motorcraft 5-20 tonight, so I'm ready to go at a moment's notice. I even have a Blackstone bottle in the basement if I can stand to run the current oil out for a while longer...

What do I do??

1. Change the oil.

2. Buy him good quality thermal underwear.

I like to buy oil ahead, when I find a deal. So I'm ready to go when the urge strikes. I change generally twice a year - around Thanksgiving and then again around Easter. Right before the Cold Weather, and right after. I don't mind leaving it in longer when the temps are moderate or hot.

It got changed tonight. WM didn't have my usual oils, ended up going with Motorcraft 5-20. Not the finest, but I doubt it will cause any issues.

Wanted to get that done and get the Blizzaks on. (Snow tires on a Focus makes it pretty handy).

We leave for a road trip from Zurich to Rome and back in a week and a half, don't want these issues on my list in early December.

I also have a 2014 Focus and I do notice that the oil gets dark faster than in our 2016 Escape 2.5
(similar MZR engine except not DI). I have decided to use semi-syn or dino and change it sooner (approx. every 5K)
in the Focus because of the DI.....for this reason I would change the AE before winter...

PS: In other words...since I plan on changing the oil every 5K in the DI Focus....synthetic would be
a waste of money....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back