02 ALH TDI Jetta...which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposed to be getting this car from a co-worker soon. Has 180k miles. I know jack about diesels but the price is right.

What are some good oil choices?

Thanks.

A good choice is one that carries the approval listed in the owner's manual. What does it say? Grade is going to be largely irrelevant.

Originally Posted by kschachn
A good choice is one that carries the approval listed in the owner's manual. What does it say? Grade is going to be largely irrelevant.

I don't know what it says. Do you? I am not working today, tomorrow, or Monday. I won't see my co-worker until Tuesday or so. Until then, I came here for some suggestions and ultimately the technical answers that I will get.

It doesn't say that I should use Rotella T6 in my Forester XT either, so I came to BITOG to find out that there are many in the community which use it. I can't stand the RTFM posts here, especially when I don't have the manual.

Last edited:
OP, head over to tdiclub.com and hang out there. I haven't owned a TDi in years, and don't remember what an ALH needs, but there should be a bajillion threads on what to use over there. Along with gobs of other info.

This is a manual trans, right? I forget if that year had a good clutch or not. The DMF's like to go, and an SMF is often a nice upgrade. Now if it's the 4AT... well, as long as you get the car cheap then great. It'll probably last... maybe.

Don't forget, it's a timing belt, and an interference motor at that. IIRC no one trusted the motor when the belt broke; it was grounds for head removal, as one never knew.

Might want to look into VAG-COM for an OBD reader.

Good cars, I still miss mine at times.

I had an '03 Golf TDI many years back.

Back then the ALH TDI really liked Mobil Delvac 5W-40 and Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. The formulas have changed so my advice was applicable as of 15 years ago. My ALH had amazing oil analysis results on Delvac 5W-40.

You don't have the pump duse (04-08) valvetrain issues to worry about nor the DPF of the common rail cars (09+) so your options are pretty much unlimited.

Thanks very much for the thoughts. I subscribed over at the tdiforums but I am awaiting moderation approval.

Unfortunately, it is the A4. I have heard some bad things about them. Appreciate the comments guys.

The car is $500 bucks and this is a higher cost of living area so I figure this is a good deal. Apparently, there are places who do the 5 or 6 speed conversion bringing up the MPG up by around 8 which would also make it worth it. I'd do the conversion myself but too doggone busy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dx92beater
Thanks very much for the thoughts. I subscribed over at the tdiforums but I am awaiting moderation approval.

Unfortunately, it is the A4. I have heard some bad things about them. Appreciate the comments guys.

The car is $500 bucks and this is a higher cost of living area so I figure this is a good deal. Apparently, there are places who do the 5 or 6 speed conversion bringing up the MPG up by around 8 which would also make it worth it. I'd do the conversion myself but too doggone busy.

It sounds easy until you find out you need a matching cluster and ECU from a stick car, or an ECU with immo delete. The TDI trans also has different gear ratios IIRC. Might not be that cost effective in 2019 unless the rest of the car is mint or you are an enthusiast.

Those engines gained some notoriety for intake clogging, which was heavily believed to be significantly the result of dealers servicing them on relatively short intervals with bulk 5W-30 dino. The intake clogging issues being very similar to what people with modern petrol-fired DI engines are experiencing.

MAFs were an issue as well. Very sensitive. Window regulator hardware as well was flimsy.

Delvac-1 5W-40 was pretty much the 'go-to' recommendation on tdiclub at the time and the UOA's came out well. Any diesel-rated synth xW-40 probably would be just fine at this point.

The 6 speed conversion, probably would never pay for itself at this point.

The TDIclub people have beaten the h*ll out of them over the years, so probably every problem imaginable has been encountered except some age-dependent ones. Check for rust to make sure you're not buying something that has to be junked immediately on grounds of safety.

Originally Posted by kschachn

The owner's manual is largely outdated.

Grade is relevant as it is listed in the owner's manual.

5w40, with VW 505.00, ACEA A3/B4, or API CF-4 or CG-4.

I had a 02 Golf TDI.

So, what oil to go with? A HDEO 5w40 oil will be fine, Shell Rotella T6 5w40, Chevron Delo 400LE 5w40, etc Those will be more than enough for the factory 10,000 mile OCI.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Those engines gained some notoriety for intake clogging, which was heavily believed to be significantly the result of dealers servicing them on relatively short intervals with bulk 5W-30 dino. The intake clogging issues being very similar to what people with modern petrol-fired DI engines are experiencing.

MAFs were an issue as well. Very sensitive. Window regulator hardware as well was flimsy.

Delvac-1 5W-40 was pretty much the 'go-to' recommendation on tdiclub at the time and the UOA's came out well. Any diesel-rated synth xW-40 probably would be just fine at this point.

The 6 speed conversion, probably would never pay for itself at this point.

The TDIclub people have beaten the h*ll out of them over the years, so probably every problem imaginable has been encountered except some age-dependent ones. Check for rust to make sure you're not buying something that has to be junked immediately on grounds of safety.

Intake clogging was common when the diesel had a lot of sulfur, which produced a lot of soot. Combine that with the EGR, where it starts clogging at the EGR into the intake manifold (not the valves). Deleting the EGR was common, but it also removed the shutoff flap. An easier mod was the "EGR mod" which reduced the duty cycle on them, virtually eliminating the buildup.

The gas intake valve buildup on the VW/Audi DI's, there is no EGR valve, that you can address. the EGR is simulated with valve timing/overlap.

Window regulator hardware as well was flimsy.
Most likely has been dealt with on a seventeen year old car, might have even gotten the updated clips from the factory. My friends have had 02s one even a 02 ALH and they never complained about the window clips, but I had to replace them on my 2000 2.slow. I'd be more concerned with the rear beam bushings than window clips if we are talking about early MK4 foibles.

I have used M1 5/40 TDT, Motorcraft 10/30, Rotella T6, using T5 10/30 now. All worked fine for my 5k interval, Ive posted the analysis before, you can search my posts or look in the used diesel analysis section. Theres another member running T6 for almost 15k if I recall correctly!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Window regulator hardware as well was flimsy.
Most likely has been dealt with on a seventeen year old car, might have even gotten the updated clips from the factory. My friends have had 02s one even a 02 ALH and they never complained about the window clips, but I had to replace them on my 2000 2.slow. I'd be more concerned with the rear beam bushings than window clips if we are talking about early MK4 foibles.

My 02 had plastic window clips. Dealership was nice enough to replace them with the metal clips before it broke upon my request. (hence buying 2 more VW's from that dealership)

Long term, the cost of the upgrade isnt really worth it, 8 mpgs extra (at best) on an all highway ride would only be about 100 miles, so roughly 5$ of fuel per tank best case, for something that will probably cost $2000 up front. I recently hit 44 mpg on an 800 mile trip to maine, I have nozzles and 2.5" exhaust with high flow cat, so its a bit peppier than stock.

My dad has a 2005 golf tdi, I have him running either Rotella T6 5w-40 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel truck 5w-40 depending what he finds when he needs an oil change. I think as mentioned above his motor is the one that is harder on parts so you are probably open to some other oils as well.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Supposed to be getting this car from a co-worker soon. Has 180k miles. I know jack about diesels but the price is right.

What are some good oil choices?

As has already been discussed, most every 5w40 oil will work okay for a 10k-mile oil change interval. All 5w40's are synthetic. Some are better than others, but not enough difference to matter over the next 200k-300k miles or so. Those ALH engines are bullet-proof. I've always used M1 Turbo Diesel Truck or Mobil Delvac 1, but the Shell Rotella guys seem to have had good results too. Others use Schaeffers or Amsoil, but all 5w40s are appropriate.

You mentioned that it has a 4-speed automatic transmission, which is likely to become a problem if it is not already. There's a cottage industry of TDI mechs swapping the automatic for the 5-speed manual. It's likely to cost about $2000, so the question is whether the rest of the car is worth it. If it's rust-free or nearly so, then I suggest you plan on doing the swap and then keeping that TDI forever. TDIs with the automatic are worth about $500-1000, with the 5-speed MT between $2000 and $4000.

Remember that the timing belt interval is 100k miles, and if there's any uncertainty about when it was last replaced, or what other parts were replaced besides the TB itself, or whether it was done by a competent person, then schedule the work soon and use a TB kit from a reliable vendor. If a kit is priced $100 less than what others are selling for, then it's not a good kit.

ALH isn't going to be terribly picky on oil. My brother-in-law has used Schaeffer's 5w40 @ 10K OCI in his '03 since he got it at ~140K - currently at about 315K and no signs of slowing down. Original turbo, etc. His dad has a '04 Jetta (pump deuce) on the same oil schedule that was fine up to 450K when the injectors went, and they chose to replaced the cam while they were into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back