Zama Carb Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to rebuild the Zama C1U-K11 carb on my Echo blower. Getting a Zama OEM kit from RepairClinic. Just wondering if it was worth the extra $$ since there are so many aftermarket kits out there? I bet they all come off the same line in China. Justified or not, I always feel better with OEM stuff. After all, this carb has performed great for over 30 years. Thanks.

Take the carburetor apart. Look for the little spring and possible metal ball under the diaphragm. Don't lose them as they are small and will disappear if you drop them. Remove all gaskets. Clean the carb with carb spray. Spray cleaner in every office. Let it sit a few minutes then repeat a few times. Make sure you wear safety glasses! Carb cleaner will do a painful number on your eyes. Pay attention to how the old diaphragm was mounted. You don't want to put the new one in upside down. I suggest replacing the fuel lines and tank filter. Put it together and remount. Adjust carb as needed.

Take your time and pictures as needed. It's an educational experience and you will be giving high 5's when you do the first start.

Originally Posted by locomaster1969
Take the carburetor apart. Look for the little spring and possible metal ball under the diaphragm. Don't lose them as they are small and will disappear if you drop them. Remove all gaskets. Clean the carb with carb spray. Spray cleaner in every office. Let it sit a few minutes then repeat a few times. Make sure you wear safety glasses! Carb cleaner will do a painful number on your eyes. Pay attention to how the old diaphragm was mounted. You don't want to put the new one in upside down. I suggest replacing the fuel lines and tank filter. Put it together and remount. Adjust carb as needed.

Take your time and pictures as needed. It's an educational experience and you will be giving high 5's when you do the first start.

Thx but I already know how to rebuild 2 cycle carbs. My question had to do with quality of Zama OEM vs aftermarket rebuild kits.

Did you check on Ebay or Amazon to see what cost of a replacement carb would be versus the rebuild kit? I've had great luck with the various 2 & 4 cycle replacement carbs I've purchased on Ebay. They've usually costed between $13-$20 delivered. I don't buy the ones that get shipped direct from China, I buy them from US based and shipping location companies. I looked at rebuild kits and they were not inexpensive and with these small carbs with their tiny passages you could still have issues just due to clogging. Of course if your carb is really old there may not be a replacement one for sale and rebuilding is your only option.

Whimsey

Art, I agree with your train of thought on this.

If the rebuilt bits and pieces are imported parts anyway, it kind of defeats the purpose of doing a rebuild IMO. I always clean and preserve the best I can the OEM carb anyway, but I just buy a whole replacement mail-order aftermarket carb and be done with it.

I have a discontinued C1U-K11. Can't find a whole carb anywhere, aftermarket or OEM. I have to rebuild. My question was about quality of rebuild kits, not whole carbs. I bought the Zama OEM kit. Was wondering if it was worth the extra $$$ compared to aftermarket kits,

Rebuilt a few Zama cube carbs for trimmers using the RB-29 kits from Ebay. No issues yet using those under $2 RB-29 carb kits. Problem is, it will take up to 45 days to receive the kit from China.

Last edited:
I can't answer the question but I will try to throw in something that might be helpful. While I was waiting on a replacement carb for my trimmer I took off the clogged one and removed everything that wasn't behind a freeze plug. I put everything except the diaphragm into a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and a squirt of Dawn. I ran it for a few cycles and that cleaned it right out.

Now that I have two carbs I swap them out and run one while the other gets cleaned.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
I can't answer the question but I will try to throw in something that might be helpful. While I was waiting on a replacement carb for my trimmer I took off the clogged one and removed everything that wasn't behind a freeze plug. I put everything except the diaphragm into a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and a squirt of Dawn. I ran it for a few cycles and that cleaned it right out.

Now that I have two carbs I swap them out and run one while the other gets cleaned.

Good tip! I figure after 31 years my metering and fuel pump diaphragms are due for replacement anyway. Have read several articles that say diaphragms start going downhill in 5-7 years with ethanol gas. I used ethanol gas for all but the last year of its operation. She runs great but won't start without a little started fluid. Don't think the flappers are sealing.

^ That is a great idea with that HFT cleaner.

Sorry Art.. I didn't realize when responding to your OP that no full replacement carbs are available for this unit.

I rebuild lots of these carbs and the aftermarket kits work just fine. cant say the same as the Chinese after market carbs

I've used most cheap kits and name brand. They work fine. Usually it is just the diaphragm that is stiff and a good cleaning. The needle won't always seal with the old seat with any rebuild kit. Unless you have the tool to replace the seat the carb is trash or you have to pour the gas out of the tank after using.

My 31+ yo Echo PB 1000 blower is starting great and running like a scalded cat after a good carb cleaning and Zama rebuild kit. Now that I think about it, she has not been starting and running right for many years. Just got used to it and put up with it. Thanks to all for your help and comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back