Recent Topics
Which brake pads for towing?
by pburchett - 06/06/20 08:27 PM
supertech 0w16 $11/ 5 qt
by eljefino - 06/06/20 07:55 PM
Pennzoil 5W-20 HM Ecobox? $2.27????
by Jackson_Slugger - 06/06/20 07:50 PM
Fluid for Jeep electric-boosted spower steering?
by Jeffrey Behr - 06/06/20 06:33 PM
Bottom grill hitting radiator fan
by dan765 - 06/06/20 06:26 PM
Unknown mystery oil
by Zgrant231 - 06/06/20 06:23 PM
Paint Protection Film (PPF)
by HDoilDude - 06/06/20 05:40 PM
Old RedMax EBZ8001
by BISCUT - 06/06/20 04:57 PM
ATF as general purpose oil?
by buck91 - 06/06/20 04:29 PM
Silicone vs fumed silica?
by buck91 - 06/06/20 04:24 PM
e-bike conversion kit
by OilUzer - 06/06/20 03:49 PM
Computer - Hypervisor - Increase I/O Performance
by brueggma1 - 06/06/20 03:30 PM
Inside of new windshield fogs up
by mclasser - 06/06/20 02:51 PM
Oil considerations Duratec 3.0 V6, 85k miles
by 97tbird - 06/06/20 02:22 PM
Best way to charge and maintain a battery?
by Avery4 - 06/06/20 02:10 PM
HM oils vs HM oils
by aquariuscsm - 06/06/20 12:37 PM
Confusion: oil grades, yellow metal, vintage
by LouK2 - 06/06/20 12:21 PM
Newest Members
Jeancando, SkulltulaHouse, geekofband007, jproposki, 1mzsludge
71625 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
96 registered members (ammolab, antonmnster, 2015_PSD, aquariuscsm, 77GrandPrix, 13 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 31 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics306,313
Posts5,289,985
Members71,625
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 5
Why so many bad CVT trans? #5262725 11/09/19 07:12 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 470
R
red7404 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 470
why is there so many bad CVT transmissions sold to the public? and ill not even talk about fords duel clutch mistake.

Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: red7404] #5262732 11/09/19 07:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12,276
Nick1994 Offline
Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12,276
Originally Posted by red7404
why is there so many bad CVT transmissions sold to the public? and ill not even talk about fords duel clutch mistake.
Yeah those Ford Dual Clutch CVTs are the worst LOL


2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0L 61k Dealer Bulk SynBlend 5w20 & OEM
2000 Toyota Camry 2.2L 239k Mobil Delvac 15w40 & Fram Ultra
1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 150k Rotella Gas Truck 5w30 & Wix
Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: red7404] #5262737 11/09/19 07:22 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,298
JohnnyJohnson Offline
Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,298
Lots of Stealership money in maintenance and it helps cars wear out before their time. There is no reason to have an automatic transmission that is maintained correctly to last less than 300K.


2004 Corolla 140120
Out: Havoline Pro DS 10w-30 Purolator PureOne 10-29-19 136457
In: Pennzoil Platinum HM 5W-20 ST 4386
2006 Duramax 77077
Out: T6 5W-40 XG9100 73909
In: Rotella Dino PH9100 11-3-19
Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: Nick1994] #5262751 11/09/19 07:35 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,690
J
JTK Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 12,690
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by red7404
why is there so many bad CVT transmissions sold to the public? and ill not even talk about fords duel clutch mistake.
Yeah those Ford Dual Clutch CVTs are the worst LOL


Especially them duel ones. fence


2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV
2017 Ram 1500 4x4, 3.6L.
2015 Nissan Versa 1.6 S
Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: red7404] #5262760 11/09/19 07:46 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,154
A
AC1DD Offline
Offline
A
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,154
Thing is that over in Europe, and in the ROW Ford was using a "wet clutch" DCT which had NO issues whatsoever. The reason Dearborn specified a
"DRY clutch" version of the DCT was because it was slightly cheaper....and it also was almost an issue on every car that came with it. Seems to me like
if Ford Cologne designed a car, they shouldn't let Ford Dearborn mess with it.


That being said a good quality traditional geared slushbox will last for 300,000 miles they are a proved design and the good ones are almost impossible to kill.

OTOH the CVT is not proven and many of them wear out under 100k even if not abused. They are NOT a proven design, unless you are putting them in a golf cart.

Last edited by AC1DD; 11/09/19 07:51 PM.
Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: AC1DD] #5262793 11/09/19 08:27 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 491
L
littlehulkster Online Content
Online Content
L
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Thing is that over in Europe, and in the ROW Ford was using a "wet clutch" DCT which had NO issues whatsoever. The reason Dearborn specified a
"DRY clutch" version of the DCT was because it was slightly cheaper....and it also was almost an issue on every car that came with it. Seems to me like
if Ford Cologne designed a car, they shouldn't let Ford Dearborn mess with it.


That being said a good quality traditional geared slushbox will last for 300,000 miles they are a proved design and the good ones are almost impossible to kill.

OTOH the CVT is not proven and many of them wear out under 100k even if not abused. They are NOT a proven design, unless you are putting them in a golf cart.


Toyota has been using CVTs in their hybrids for over a decade now and not only have they had no significant issues, the Prius one of the, if not the most reliable car you can buy and has been it's entire existence. This is despite the Prius getting heavy use as a fleet car in cities and racking up god even knows how many miles.

CVTs can be fine if they're not designed by idiots.

Before you counter with the low power argument, I will also point out Toyota CVTs have been used in huge V8 Lexus limos with over 400hp and still have no significant problems.

Last edited by littlehulkster; 11/09/19 08:28 PM.

2015 Mazda3 I 2.0
Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: red7404] #5262794 11/09/19 08:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 55
W
WondrousBread Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 55
Like any new technology, there will be a transition period where they are less reliable than the previous iteration of the technology. As the problems are ironed out, they'll become more and more reliable.

Anecdotally, my mother has a 2010 Sentra with the CVT, and it is quite happy at 250,000km with only one fluid change from the dealer. I can only imagine that with her incredibly gentle driving habits it has been the ideal situation for CVT lifespan.

Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: littlehulkster] #5262796 11/09/19 08:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,078
S
supton Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,078
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Toyota has been using CVTs in their hybrids for over a decade now and not only have they had no significant issues, the Prius one of the, if not the most reliable car you can buy and has been it's entire existence. This is despite the Prius getting heavy use as a fleet car in cities and racking up god even knows how many miles.

CVTs can be fine if they're not designed by idiots.

Before you counter with the low power argument, I will also point out Toyota CVTs have been used in huge, stretched Lexus limos with over 400hp and still have no significant problems.

At least in the early Prius's the trans was not a CVT. By summing engine speed with electric motor speed they could vary the speed of the car and motors. I think recently they added a speed, but those early ones were not a CVT in this sense.


2011 Toyota Camry, base, 2.5L/6MT, 205k, hers
2010 Toyota Tundra DC, 4.6L/6AT, 159k, ours
1999 Toyota Camry LE, 2.2L/4AT, 225k, his
Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: supton] #5262798 11/09/19 08:30 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 491
L
littlehulkster Online Content
Online Content
L
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Toyota has been using CVTs in their hybrids for over a decade now and not only have they had no significant issues, the Prius one of the, if not the most reliable car you can buy and has been it's entire existence. This is despite the Prius getting heavy use as a fleet car in cities and racking up god even knows how many miles.

CVTs can be fine if they're not designed by idiots.

Before you counter with the low power argument, I will also point out Toyota CVTs have been used in huge, stretched Lexus limos with over 400hp and still have no significant problems.

At least in the early Prius's the trans was not a CVT. By summing engine speed with electric motor speed they could vary the speed of the car and motors. I think recently they added a speed, but those early ones were not a CVT in this sense.


Even in the first Prius it was a planetary gearbox, however Toyota calls it a CVT and always has. It's different from most, but it's still a CVT.

Last edited by littlehulkster; 11/09/19 08:45 PM.

2015 Mazda3 I 2.0
Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: red7404] #5262808 11/09/19 08:45 PM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,029
M
madRiver Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,029
No idea what bad means? Unreliable? poorly executed ?

Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: red7404] #5262839 11/09/19 09:17 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 34,301
D
demarpaint Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 34,301
popcorn


God Bless Our Troops

Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: madRiver] #5262841 11/09/19 09:20 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,154
A
AC1DD Offline
Offline
A
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,154
Originally Posted by madRiver
No idea what bad means? Unreliable? poorly executed ?



The CVT is an inherently flawed design when used in heavier vehicles, that's why Toyota and others have had to make lots of changes. The only vehicles they seem suited to with expectations of 100k durability are fairly light weight in nature.

It's pretty clear to me that the manufacturers are determined to not give you a choice of power trains in the future by making the CVT the only choice of transmission.

You can see this same arrogance with the EV.

A very interesting thing I have noticed in some well known car forums is that if you disagree with EVs being viable or popular they will BAN your account major
censorship is occurring.

Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: red7404] #5262846 11/09/19 09:26 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13,440
PimTac Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13,440
Anyone have extra popcorn?


2017 Mazda CX5
Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w20
Roki OEM filter.
Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: AC1DD] #5262848 11/09/19 09:27 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 491
L
littlehulkster Online Content
Online Content
L
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by madRiver
No idea what bad means? Unreliable? poorly executed ?



The CVT is an inherently flawed design when used in heavier vehicles, that's why Toyota and others have had to make lots of changes. The only vehicles they seem suited to with expectations of 100k durability are fairly light weight in nature.

It's pretty clear to me that the manufacturers are determined to not give you a choice of power trains in the future by making the CVT the only choice of transmission.

You can see this same arrogance with the EV.

A very interesting thing I have noticed in some well known car forums is that if you disagree with EVs being viable or popular they will BAN your account major
censorship is occurring.


Lexus has put it in vehicles weighing well over 5000 pounds with 400HP and AWD with no trouble. The Lexus LS, hybrid or no, is SIGNIFICANTLY more reliable than any comparable luxury sedan equipped with any other transmission.

For such a flawed design, it's amazing that Toyota can make it considerably more reliable than anything the Germans have ever done.

Last edited by littlehulkster; 11/09/19 09:30 PM.

2015 Mazda3 I 2.0
Re: Why so many bad CVT trans? [Re: red7404] #5262869 11/09/19 10:04 PM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,923
Marco620 Offline
Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,923
Got 286,000 miles on original cvt transmission from Honda rocking Castrol Transmax or Redline CVT Fluid. Changing every 20-30k.

_20191109_210548.JPG

15' Civic r18, 337,000 mi M1 0w30(3qt)/Redline 5w30(1qt),Castrol CVT Fluid,Gumout PEA
Dog Whisperer! Honda/Acura nerd; detest ethanol,wind, and anything vegan.


Page 1 of 5 1 2 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™