Making Roundnose Perform Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in one of the OP's other threads. 32 S&W Long wadcutter ammo is actually rather good small game hunting or self-defense ammo. Move forward to about 10 minutes into the video to see the gel testing of this ammo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_m4M8CAe0

Don't bother messing with the round nose stuff. Just use it for practice at the range, then buy a couple boxes of the wadcutters for practice and general use.

Always remember...it is not TRUTH that wins in a court room but what the jury PERCEIVES is the truth. A good attorney will take that "well educated" group of 12 and try to convince them of intent. If you do anything (and admit it under oath) before taking a shot that can be construed as pre-thinking and taking action based on that, a jury can be convinced that this was intent and pre-meditated. Not saying that in any sense that this is right or correct. It is the way the system works.

And if you win the criminal case, there is always the follow-up civil trial to worry about.

Originally Posted by Boomer
If you do anything (and admit it under oath) before taking a shot that can be construed as pre-thinking and taking action based on that, a jury can be convinced that this was intent and pre-meditated.

So, you can't buy "self-defense" ammo, either, since that would have required "pre-thinking and taking action based on that." Is that what you're saying?

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
If you do anything (and admit it under oath) before taking a shot that can be construed as pre-thinking and taking action based on that, a jury can be convinced that this was intent and pre-meditated.

So, you can't buy "self-defense" ammo, either, since that would have required "pre-thinking and taking action based on that." Is that what you're saying?

Just having a gun can be twisted into pre-thinking. There is no end to it.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by rrretiree7
Is there any truth to the tip of cutting an X into a lead roundnose for better performance? Thank you

Dude... REALLY... please just get a pistol better suited to your purposes which appears to be CC. That museum piece you have, however 'classic' and 'interesting', should not be relied upon for personal defense.

As with Mongo in "Blazing Saddles," if you shoot him you will just make him mad."

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

As with Mongo in "Blazing Saddles," if you shoot him you will just make him mad."

Along that line Jeff Cooper once said "carry a .25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you."

For those who say that overzealous prosecutors won't try to make a case against you for the gun or ammo you use, here are a couple things to read

Harold Fish

This just summarizes it a little
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/iBkjdutVmFA?t=371[/video]

Also Masaad Ayoob's thoughts

HERE

Somewhere I have Ayoob's book "Concealed Carry" in which he touches upon his experiences in the courtroom.

It's enough that I'll never use a hand load or alter a factory load for defensive purposes. I realize it's more likely that I'll be struck by lightening than needing to use a firearm defensively AND being prosecuted for something like this, but the way I see it is that I least I have control over that facet of an encounter.

Last edited:
In my carry class we were told to carry hollow points and in court explain them as expanding point ammo to make sure the bullet did not penetrate and hit unintended targets.

Originally Posted by svhanc
In my carry class we were told to carry hollow points and in court explain them as expanding point ammo to make sure the bullet did not penetrate and hit unintended targets.

We were told to carry Speer Gold Dots or Winchester Ranger. So if we had to use it, we could say "well local law enforcement/state police use it too so it cant be overkill"

I remember an Ayoob column from years ago where he said that it is better from a legal point of view to have a hammerless revolver that can only be shot double action than a revolver with a hammer that can be fired single action. Why? Because of intent that a lawyer can point out to a jury if you shoot an intruder or an attacker. By cocking the hammer on a revolver before the shooting, you have shown your intent to shoot the person as soon as you cock the hammer and this can take it from self defense to a pre-meditated act. So I am always conscious of this and use a hammerless revolver as a carry gun/ home defense gun.

How do you conduct self defense with a gun against a bad guy who's out to harm or kill you and your loved ones without intending to shoot them - regardless of what action it takes to make the gun fire? Just wishing them away with kind words doesn't seem to work very well.

These scummy criminal defense lawyers think you have to be almost physically killed before you're allowed to intend to protect yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back