Treatise On Magnetic Filtration - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Myth of Magnetic Oil Filters - Vintage Sports Car

Pretty extreme....

Try this: https://www.vintagesportscarclubaus...ith-The-Myth-of-Magnetic-Oil-Filters.pdf

Pdf doc. first p. of which i attach here.

Screenshot_2019-11-08-12-50-37.png

Last edited:
Cool read. They refer to a graph or graphs that I did not see. Do you know where it is (they are)?

Interesting read, " use and clean your magnets" (before they load up) message is interesting.

Well - yeah pretty much every time I change the fluids the mags get cleaned and checked so ok there......

Continues ongoing debate about placement with a low slow recommendation (drain plug / pan mag ) vs a filter or direct flow.

Thanks for posting !

UD

Last edited:
I'm surprised they did not mention anything about possibility of escaped particles from the magnet (particles which are now magnetized) sticking to the moving parts and causing more accelerated wear.

Originally Posted by berniedd
I'm surprised they did not mention anything about possibility of escaped particles from the magnet (particles which are now magnetized) sticking to the moving parts and causing more accelerated wear.

Thats only an issue in a cold system.

Temporarily magnetized particles lose their magnetism extremely quickly with any heat.

Try it - magnetize a pin and then warm it with any heat source and watch the magnetism vanish.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
berniedd said:
Temporarily magnetized particles lose their magnetism extremely quickly with any heat.

Try it - magnetize a pin and then warm it with any heat source and watch the magnetism vanish.

UD

Uncle, the particles would need to reach the curie temperature for the material, and I doubt that could be reached in oil by any material.

Aside, when in middle school, I made a "Tesla's Thermomagnetic Motor" using that principle.

They did not mention that the particles were magnetic but they did intimate that at first the magnet collected coarse sized particles and then with continued use (and those coarse particles NOT being cleaned off) the magnet collected ever finer particles. Implication is that the coarse particles were swept off with the fluid currents, again making their way to the rolling element bearings and the gear contact faces and then being ground up to finer sizes (but in the grinding action - taking their toll on bearing and gear(face) life expectancy). What this also says is that if you don't equip your machinery with magnets RIGHT FROM THE OUTSET OF OPERATION (and remove, clean really often at the first stages of break-in) - then you're sunk right from the get-go.

I read about that years ago, posted about it here and caught a lot of flack. Either way it was an interesting debate.

I think there's something to be said about cleaning the magnets, in at least some designs. In out Honda transmissions it's clear that there's a flow direction, and I'm sure that it's quite possible for bits to be pulled and redeposited. I'd have my doubts they dissociate then re-aggregate on the magnet....

Originally Posted by another Todd
If there was no magnet, ALL those particles would be circulating around...so catching whatever you catch is better than catching nothing at all.

That's my general thought too, especially if placed in a stagnant spot where they can be scavenged without much other distraction.

Question is if these highly magnetized particles stay together and now are much larger particles, what damage can they do?

Differentials and manual transmissions generally last a long time with normal use and regular maintenance. In other words, you don't have to do anything special to get long life from these components. Now if you abuse them and/or don't give regular maintenance then all goes out the window for purposes of this discussion. Every drain plug I have ever seen from a manual trans or differential has incorporated a magnet in some way, so it must be a plus. Also agree with the general comment that any ferrous material that a magnet catches is that much less to be circulating around in the fluid, also an obvious plus. Those that argue that the ferrous particles can be swept or flushed off of the magnet under certain conditions, they are forgetting that those particles would be circulating around anyway, without the magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back