Anything wrong with selling a stock for a $200 gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These types of decisions should be made by you and you alone. That way there is no one to blame down the line but yourself.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Is this a Hypothetical question ? If not... what stock is it.

+1.

OP, it's not bad to take profit, but I kind of question motives if you're selling for $200, which after taxes will be like $160 or less. For what? Does the stock have a downside?

If it pays a dividend, that timing plays in too.

Markets have cycles. This one has been quite long; too long in fact. I have no doubt it's all orchestrated to fabricate a major drop next summer. So cashing out isn't a bad idea, though most studies have shown that folks who try to time the markets usually end up with worse overall outcomes.

So without further info, folks can't opine, and this site isn't responsible for good, bad or other advice regardless.

Trust your instincts, don't listen to other people. I used to trade CMI in 1000 share lots. One day I buy it and within 15 minutes I don't like how it was behaving. I've watched it trade daily for a long time, I'm not sure what I don't like but I don't like it so I sell for a very small gain or loss. $36 I think. Within an hour some news broke that knocked that stock down about 14-15%. But on 1000 shares, that's around 13-15k at the time. And I was around 26, some using margin...that would have been a hit.

Many individuals do that on a minute to minute basis. With modern technology, it has allowed trading to proceed so rapidly that the market can't handle the voluum and has to take a time out. Not for the great unwashed though.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Whats the transaction fee for the trade? That would wipe out some gains. Short term gains are taxed differently than long term gains.

They fees are free right now. Depends on the broker, but it's usually like $5.00-7.00, then the accountant charges another $10 for each trade. Like I said I normally don't sell them that cheap, i'll wait until it's atleast 4-$600 dollars. I have stocks that are at a 13 percent gain and up $1,500.00 and still holding because I have a good feeling they will go higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
If recession hits.... won't gold and silver jump in prices ?

Well, not to get political, I'm expecting less money printing in 5 years, and less National debt. and a strong dollar with little inflation.
No recession but a "94 GOP overhaul of Government, with many departments getting the cold axe, that includes the Federal Reserve private bank... Gold will decrease in price due to less money in circulation and being stronger, may even bring back the Gold standard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back