ATF smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post-ATF pan drop.

Q: What would cause a faint ATF odor emanating from the engine bay?

The vehicle is going to go up on a rack on Monday to check for leaks but the unit shifts fine so I suppose leak could be really small.

Could it be off gassing from the parts themselves as they heat cycle (gasket, plastic drain pan)?

The smell does not present itself when the vehicle is running and in park. Only after it has been in gear (pressurized?).

Thoughts?

It's going into the shop on Tuesday but I figured I'd ask you guys. In the mean time.

You splashed a tiny bit on the exhaust. The smell will fade after driving a bit more.

Not sure about beemers but a common source of small leaks are on the transmission cooler lines where the rubber section is crimped onto the steel or aluminum line. Here's a photo of a couple of GM lines with 180,000 miles. The leak was so slow it didn't drip on the garage floor. I've since replaced the lines.

281B75A5-AC47-4C74-9700-FB76244C510C.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
You splashed a tiny bit on the exhaust. The smell will fade after driving a bit more.

That's what I was thinking but on this car the exhaust is on the opposite side of the fill hole. I drove 300 miles yesterday and the smell seemed less and I will dive another 300 miles this evening. So I hope the smell reduces even more.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Not sure about beemers but a common source of small leaks are on the transmission cooler lines where the rubber section is crimped onto the steel or aluminum line. Here's a photo of a couple of GM lines with 180,000 miles. The leak was so slow it didn't drip on the garage floor. I've since replaced the lines.

Thanks.

The smell is probably coming from ATF on and around the pan. Once the transmission heats up the ATF left on the pan starts smelling. This is why I always hit the the pan with brake cleaner once I'm done to clean up

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
In my case, paranoia that I made a mistake.
It will go away...

Paranoia is a very common affliction on this forum. DENSO

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
In my case, paranoia that I made a mistake.
It will go away...

Paranoia is a very common affliction on this forum. DENSO

More likely justified vigilance.
smirk2.gif

UPDATE: I never made it to the shop on Monday because I caught a cold however after making a 400 mile trip in extremely light traffic it seems that I have cooked off any smell.

On side note, perhaps it's placebo but it seems these engines really do seem to be happiest at somewhere over 80-85 mph. The traffic was extremely light so there were some points where I could comfortably cruise at 90 or more. It's always nice to be able to give it a little work after spending a few months as a commuter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back