key fobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key fob that came with my Hyundai has no key just push the start button and go.
Soon after getting the car a coworker with the same type fob told me about the key inside and how to start the car in case of fob failure.
I had no clue about this.
The salesman that sold me the car at the Hyundai dealership never said a word.
Fast forward to today and a coworker that just bought a new Pathfinder 2 weeks ago said he would have no idea how to get in his vehicle if the no key fob failed.
I told him about the key inside.
We went out to his vehicle and he tried it and thanked me,I said go thank James he told me about it.
Again the salesman at the Nissan dealer did not tell him about the hidden key.
Do they all think this is common knowledge?
I know its in the owner's manual somewhere but some things should be told to the buyer before leaving the lot.

Hopefully you got two. The manual should also tell you how the car will notify you that the battery needs replacing.

On my Mazda the light on the start button will be Amber when the battery starts getting weak. At a certain point a message comes up in the info window in the dash to replace the key. I just keep the batteries on hand.

Originally Posted by marine65
I know its in the owner's manual somewhere but some things should be told to the buyer before leaving the lot.

It's assumed the car will make it home before needing to know this information, but really, owners manuals are 500+ pages these days, you can't expect the salesman to explain every detail about the car. And don't people read owners manuals anymore?

Yes no way the dealer can tell you everything. When I picked my Pilot up the sales guy was trying to tell me so much stuff, I finally had to stop him. Told him I would read about it when I got home. The owner manuals all have an index you can refer to for specifics.

I've bought used cars. Salesman, previous seller didn't go over anything. It's all in the manual and I know how to start the car if the battery in the key fob dies.

Yep, I know the salespeople mentioned nothing about this with my recent 2019 Pathfinder purchase, but I was already familiar with this style Nissan FOB. Regardless, there's no way the darling bride would figure it out. LOL

Ya'll can't figure out something that simple for yourself? It's pretty common knowledge, and not hard to figure out for yourself if you don't know.

How in-depth should the vehicle training be? Do you need to be shown how to open the doors? Use the turn signals? Turn on the lights?

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Ya'll can't figure out something that simple for yourself? It's pretty common knowledge, and not hard to figure out for yourself if you don't know.

How in-depth should the vehicle training be? Do you need to be shown how to open the doors? Use the turn signals? Turn on the lights?

Some things are not common knowledge for everyone.
I was driving a 2006 Sentra with no high tech at all.
Now I get a 2018 Elantra thats like a foreign country full of high tech I never saw before.
Yeah a little help was needed.
Plus I'm 72 years old and not exactly a techie.
There was a learning curve to figure this car out.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Some things are not common knowledge for everyone.
I was driving a 2006 Sentra with no high tech at all.
Now I get a 2018 Elantra thats like a foreign country full of high tech I never saw before.
Yeah a little help was needed.
Plus I'm 72 years old and not exactly a techie.
There was a learning curve to figure this car out.

I'm a little younger but when we picked up the Mazda we were shown a few important features but the salesman strongly recommended that we spend time reading the manual to get the full benefits and learn how to customize our driving experience.

The manuals of yesterday might have had 30-50 pages. Our Mazda manual is several hundred pages along with two supplements. It's like a phone book.

I'm still learning things about this car.

If only there was a single source, with details, maybe even pictures, describing all these new features on a car.

Like a book, or something.

One that you could read, to learn about a new car, before you went to operate it.

For airplanes, for example, such a single source exists. It's required reading before you learn to fly that airplane.

They call it a flight manual.

If only the car manufacturers would do the same thing!

Some salesman do, some don't. very few people read the owner's manual - although my mom does - anytime she has a question she reads the book before asking or confirming with me.
some mfrs dont provide a printed owners manual - but give it to you on CD. not sure that everyone has a CD player anymore.... Many Apple products don't include them.

CDs have been dead for a long time.

I have the owners manual downloaded on my iPhone as well as the print version. I like the iPhone version because you can search for specific topics and go right to them versus doing the index shuffle.

The sales person is supposed to explain such things at the time of delivery. Usually they are suggested to spend an hour or so with the customer to help them familiarize themselves with the vehicle, that is part of their commission. When my mom bought her Fusion, the salesman set up her phone to the Sync system, helped her enter common addresses in the navigation, showed her how to use the keys and keyless entry, showed her where the spare tire was along with the funnel if she needed to add gas to the capless fill, among a bunch of other things.

Originally Posted by Astro14
If only there was a single source, with details, maybe even pictures, describing all these new features on a car.

One that you could read, to learn about a new car, before you went to operate it.

For airplanes, for example, such a single source exists. It's required reading before you learn to fly that airplane.

My owners book is 446 pages.
I'm not reading all that.

My flight manual (Boeing 757/767) is 2,703.

I've not only read it, I know it well.

You would expect no less before you board my airplane.

My Mercedes S600 has a 435* page manual.

I've read it.

*Not including the Comand system manual.

My flight manual (Boeing 757/767) is 2,703.

I've not only read it, I know it well.

You would expect no less before you board my airplane.

My Mercedes S600 has a 435* page manual.

I've read it.

*Not including the Comand system manual.

Yeah, I've read the manual for both my car and they're also over 400 pages. When I was in IT, I thought was kinda easy sometimes as all you had to do was read the manual and most of the times the answers were in there but most people didn't read it. Half the problems I ran into could have been easily solved just by looking things up. But hey, I guess that was what I was paid to do. I've skimmed the Comand manual, but don't really use any of the features as some of it is rather obscure and pointless like how to use the CD player. Reading the manual is how you find out about obscure features like holding down the unlock button to roll down all the windows/open sunroof. Or hold the recirc button to close all windows/sunroof at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back